Options

bunch o' questions

sberleysberley Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
edited July 5, 2005 in SmugMug Support
Hi,

Smugmug is fantastic - I am very impressed with all you've done to build the system. I also hate to pummel with questions, but I'd like to do a number of things to test out the pro site, within the eval period.

Here we go...

- Can I force the view to be elegant small? Or at least control the width of the display image so the browser doesn't require horizontal scrolling?

- In elegant/elegant small, can I control the number of thumbs shown (2 columns vs 3)?

- how do you create a text entry on the home page - as on http://williams.smugmug.com/

- Can you have multiple columns of galleries listed - like how sub-categories list in two columns?

- Is it possible to co-brand the shopping cart?

- Do you know if the lab will has any plans of adding framing services?

- Is there a place to look for deep info on customizing?

- If I use a custom hostname, does it take the place of my current web hosting? Also, what about email sent to my domain?

Thanks a lot...

Steve Berley
www.berley.com

Comments

• Options
    grannyrobingrannyrobin Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2005
    sberley wrote:
    Hi,

Smugmug is fantastic - I am very impressed with all you've done to build the system. I also hate to pummel with questions, but I'd like to do a number of things to test out the pro site, within the eval period.

Here we go...

- Can I force the view to be elegant small? Or at least control the width of the display image so the browser doesn't require horizontal scrolling?

- In elegant/elegant small, can I control the number of thumbs shown (2 columns vs 3)?

- how do you create a text entry on the home page - as on http://williams.smugmug.com/

- Can you have multiple columns of galleries listed - like how sub-categories list in two columns?

- If I use a custom hostname, does it take the place of my current web hosting? Also, what about email sent to my domain?

Thanks a lot...

Steve Berley
    www.berley.com
    I think I may be able to point you in the right direction on some of these questions. I figure it this way: some answers are better than none.

About the horizontal scrolling... In the customize gallery settings..."Style lets Power and Pro users force a gallery style, such as Journal. Why isn't Elegant Small listed as a choice? Because selection between Elegant and Elegant Small is provided automatically after we sense the user's monitor size. We serve Elegant Small to users who have 800x600 pixel monitors to prevent scrolling, and Elegant to people with 1024x768 and above." I may not be understanding you properly here, but I thought that would prevent horizontal scrolling. No? (The stuff I quoted is from waaay down on this page. http://www.smugmug.com/help/picture-storage)

The text entry I see on Andy's page is his bio. You can get to that through your account settings. If I'm missing something, please don't hesitate to say so! http://www.smugmug.com/help/web-photo-albums

I don't know what kind of deep info on customizing you're looking for, but you might outline it here or ask Ben, The Baron of Technical Support. (help@smugmug.com)

-grannyrobin
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2005
    - Can I force the view to be elegant small? [/quote]

yes.

no

it's all in the bio settings

no, not to my knowledge.

don't think so...

right here, search this forum for "cobranding" etc... loads of info and help availalbe, all free :D

smugmug doesn't do any email... you can have your own domain name forwarded to smugmug, like moon river photography

cheers!
  • Options
    BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 3, 2005
    sberley wrote:
    Hi,

Here we go...

Thanks a lot...

Steve Berley
    www.berley.com
    1. Yes, you can force the view of each gallery. Elegant and Elegant Small display depending on the size of the browser window. But yes, you can force a certain style.

2. I don't believe you can force the number of columns shown in Elegant Small - not that I've seen anyway.

3. If the text entry you are referring to is the bio, you can create one of those in account settings. I have hidden the categories on my home page so that only the bio is showing, if that is what you might want. You can see that at http://digitaldaze.smugmug.com.

4. On the home page, you will have two columns of galleries, or categories, depending on which one you choose to show.

5. Yes, there are ways to co-brand the shopping cart. I have co-branded mine to match my colors.

6. I have no idea :)

7. As far as deep co-branding, the best place to look is in these forums. That's where I have found almost all of the information I needed to do the co-branding I have done.

8. I have my domain registered through GoDaddy. I do not have a web hosting plan. I used the Cname instructions from SmugMug to point my domain name to SmugMug. I then did a mail forward at GoDaddy through their DNA management to forward my domain email to another email address. It all works very well :)

I hope some of that helps!
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 3, 2005
    andy wrote:
    cheers!
    wow, it took me a long time to type all that and by the time i hit sent, andy answered everything for you :)

this forum is a wealth of information! you'll find all your answers here.
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2005
    ya'll rock!
    Thanks to all who replied so amazingly quickly to my questions...I'm very impressed.

Do any of you know why whenever I go to view my site (not logged in) the attached error message?

Is that a setting I have control over - say turning off right-click security?

Thanks for everything!

Steve
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited July 5, 2005
    On the deep customization...

Here's an email we have queued up to go out:

[smugmug] Changes to your customization

Hi,

We’re so very sorry to bother you with an email but we noticed that you customized your smugmug pages (excellent!). We’re working on improvements to our header & footer and, try as we might, we can’t complete the improvements without affecting some customized pages.

We’ve tested many of our customer’s pages and most of them work the same as they did before our new design. A few of them, however, will need some tweaks. The most common problem is an alignment issue where they no longer align center.

We thought it best to let you know as soon as possible. The current plan is to roll out the changes this coming Thursday at midnight unless we uncover something unexpected in our testing. We’ll send another email 24 hours before rollout. We’ll make sure we’re standing by to help quickly with any (hopefully small!) issues.

This is the first step towards much easier & more powerful customization. The bad news is there will be another change like this in the near future; the good is, people who have seen the plans are salivating!

All the best,
    The smugmug team
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2005
    thanks for the heads-up. right now, i'm just fiddling around as I learn how to make the most of the customization capabilities.

That said, how do I prevent the security message from coming up on a page with a customized header?

Steve