Options

Canon 5D mirror issue question

jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
edited January 22, 2010 in Cameras
Good Afternoon Folks,
Does anyone know when Canon shipped the 'newer' 5D cameras with the mirror issue addressed ?
Thank you :thumb
Have a good day :D
Jim...

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,848 moderator
    edited January 21, 2010
    Here is the Canon Service Bulletin:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=PgComSmModDisplayAct&fcategoryid=215&modelid=11933&keycode=2112&id=55659

They don't mention either date of manufacture or serial number series so I suspect it may affect any of the 5D (original) cameras.

You might contact Canon to see if preemptive repairs are advisable.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Here is the Canon Service Bulletin:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=PgComSmModDisplayAct&fcategoryid=215&modelid=11933&keycode=2112&id=55659

They don't mention either date of manufacture or serial number series so I suspect it may affect any of the 5D (original) cameras.

You might contact Canon to see if preemptive repairs are advisable.

Good Afternoon Ziggy,
    Thanks for getting back to me thumb.gif I'll shoot Canon an e-mail later this afternoon. In the past, they have responded to my e-mails with in 48 hrs.
    Thanks again. Have a good afternoon :D
    Jim...
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2010
    I can tell you that when my 5D mirror failed the camera was out of warranty, but they fixed under warranty anyway.

Yeah!!!!!!

Sam
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2010
    Sam wrote:
    I can tell you that when my 5D mirror failed the camera was out of warranty, but they fixed under warranty anyway.

Yeah!!!!!!

Sam
    Good Afternoon Sam,
    I read that Canon will repair the mirror free of charge even if it's out of warranty because it has been recalled. I don't believe there is a time limit for this repair.
    Have a good afternoon :D
    Jim...
  • Options
    PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2010
    I posted the complaint before. The mirror came out at the middle of desert and I had to fix it with super-glue so that I could continue shooting project.

The local agent changed the whole assembly for me at no cost. The technician acknowledged that it was the know problem. After made friend with him, more detail given. The design was brought from 30D with smaller mirror. the damper was not able to absorb the vibration and caused more stress to the mount. The glue could not take the weight of the FF mirror.

No new design for it. They just changed for me.

That is the reason I want to upgrade ASAP
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2010
    I posted the complaint before. The mirror came out at the middle of desert and I had to fix it with super-glue so that I could continue shooting project.

The local agent changed the whole assembly for me at no cost. The technician acknowledged that it was the know problem. After made friend with him, more detail given. The design was brought from 30D with smaller mirror. the damper was not able to absorb the vibration and caused more stress to the mount. The glue could not take the weight of the FF mirror.

No new design for it. They just changed for me.

That is the reason I want to upgrade ASAP
    Good Morning Photoskipper,
    Thanks for your response thumb.gif I hope things work out well for you and your upgrade mwink.gif
    Have a good morning :D
    Jim...