Options

Lens Help

jilbijilbi Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited January 21, 2010 in Cameras
Bought a Canon Rebel XTi a couple of years ago with the EF-S 18-55mm kit lens, am looking to acquire another lens with a better zoom capability (can't afford the L series).

Have been specifically looking at the following lenses:
1. Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Standard Zoom Lens
2. Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS UD Standard Zoom Lens
3. Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Standard Zoom Lens

I realise that I will not achieve L series image sharpness and quality but would really appreciate any recomendation on the best choice. I typically shoot wildlife and outdoor scenery and use my shots for my own consumption. I would like to frame my shots as large as possible.There are no camera stores in my country where I could try a lens etc, my purchases would be done online and as such am trying to get the best choice.

Comments

• Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2010
    jilbi wrote:
    Bought a Canon Rebel XTi a couple of years ago with the EF-S 18-55mm kit lens, am looking to acquire another lens with a better zoom capability (can't afford the L series).

Have been specifically looking at the following lenses:
    1. Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Standard Zoom Lens
    2. Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS UD Standard Zoom Lens
    3. Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Standard Zoom Lens

I realise that I will not achieve L series image sharpness and quality but would really appreciate any recomendation on the best choice. I typically shoot wildlife and outdoor scenery and use my shots for my own consumption. I would like to frame my shots as large as possible.There are no camera stores in my country where I could try a lens etc, my purchases would be done online and as such am trying to get the best choice.

I would add the 70-200 f/4L (non-IS) to the list. It renders gorgeous shots and is an "L" lens for just a little more than the lenses you listed. Used ones for under $500 here; new ones for about $625. It will complement your current lens (you should not miss the 56 - 69 mm range) and give the best image quality.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,903 moderator
    edited January 21, 2010
    I suggest selling the 18-55mm kit lens that you have and purchasing the newer IS version of that lens (Canon EF-S 18-55mm, f/3.5-5.6 IS). Then also acquire the Canon EF-S 55-250mm, f/4.0-5.6 IS. Both of these newer lenses are pretty competent and priced reasonably. For a wildlife application the 55-250mm will do OK in good light.

The Tamron AF 17-50mm, F/2.8 XR Di-II LD SP Aspherical (IF) is a much better choice for a standard zoom and still not too pricey.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums