Options

Two More

Tina ManleyTina Manley Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
edited January 22, 2010 in Street and Documentary
Here are two more choices from my scanning. Not quite as dark but still dark enough for TMax 3200. Selina Peraza, 8 years old, is grinding corn on a stone metate in Terlaca, Honduras.

121229154.jpg

or from the other direction

121238853.jpg

Do you like the colder or warmer tone? Any other suggestions? TIA

Tina

Comments

• Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2010
    Tina, fantastic!

Difficult to choose. I like #1 more. Can't explain why. But appreciate #2 more for providing the surroundings.

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2010
    Here are two more choices from my scanning. Not quite as dark but still dark enough for TMax 3200. Selina Peraza, 8 years old, is grinding corn on a stone metate in Terlaca, Honduras.

121229154.jpg

or from the other direction

121238853.jpg

Do you like the colder or warmer tone? Any other suggestions? TIA

Tina

Definitely the second shot for two reasons. First, the blue tone is odd - either it's back and white or it isn't.mwink.gif Second, the second shot stronger photographically. If I was just looking at the first shot, which doesn't give us much of the surroundings, I'd say that I wish you were a good deal closer, and shot her more from the front so that we could see her face. But the second one is a strong documentary image, showing us her in her surroundings, doing what she does. It has a sort of Lewis Hine, or even Jacob Riis.clap.gifclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    Definitely the second shot for two reasons.

Thank you, BD. I don't think I will ever be able to edit my own work!! ne_nau.gif

Tina
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2010
    #2. It tells more of a story - the child seen through the doorway is a bonus.

That said, I love #1. It gives more of a feel of the young girl working - her body language right down to her toes. Just love those toes.

I'm glad I don't have to pick just one from these two.

I like both the cooler and the warmer black and whites.

Va

Email
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    If I was just looking at the first shot, which doesn't give us much of the surroundings, I'd say that I wish you were a good deal closer, and shot her more from the front so that we could see her face.

091122_61958_50602.jpg?t=1264196209.jpg

wings.gif

Tina