Options

More strobe questions?

ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
edited January 23, 2010 in Accessories
Speedotron d402

Might be getting a used 4 light speedotron system powered by this power supply. The power supply says it has a GN of 270.

How can a power supply have a guide number?

M90 lights

Am I correct in assuming these heads have no power control on them? So basically the only controls I would have is on the power supply, which is symmetric/asymmetric, full and half power?

Finally I am left wondering what the benefit is to a kit like this, other then modelling lamps, over using a couple of speedlights?
Only other thing I can think is batteries for the speedlights.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,904 moderator
    edited January 23, 2010
    Toshido wrote:
    ... Finally I am left wondering what the benefit is to a kit like this, other then modelling lamps, over using a couple of speedlights?

The benefits of either "pack" studio strobes or monolights over "speedlights" are (generally):

Modeling light (as you said)
    More output
    Better variability of output (depending on the specific system)
    Consistent output
    Faster recycling
    Ability to attach flash heads to stands and to attach flash modifiers to the heads
    More robust duty cycle
    Longer service life
    User replaceable flash tube

The attachment to an AC outlet may not be considered a benefit, but when outlets are convenient and plentiful, it's nice not to have to worry about input power. Sometimes, with older strobes and older house wiring, the rapid cycling of studio lighting can cause circuits to overload and trip. Then they become a liability. Some pack lights do have the ability to slow down the cycling and reduce the load on the circuit. With monolights you can generally spread the electrical load more easily since each head has it's own power supply.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2010
    Toshido wrote:
    Speedotron d402

Might be getting a used 4 light speedotron system powered by this power supply. The power supply says it has a GN of 270.

How can a power supply have a guide number?

M90 lights

Am I correct in assuming these heads have no power control on them? So basically the only controls I would have is on the power supply, which is symmetric/asymmetric, full and half power?

Finally I am left wondering what the benefit is to a kit like this, other then modelling lamps, over using a couple of speedlights?

All ofthe power pack type systems I am familiar with have all the controls on the pack.....that is one of the ways to keep the heads smaller.
    So yes the power pack is where you control the settings for light power.

The benefits over speedlights is: 1-modeling lamps, 2- runs on ac....no need to charge batts or change batts, 3- faster recycle time.

The cons to this type of system is: 1- if power pack goes out, you're done shooting.....2- cables running every where (with mono heads you can control path of electric cables a little better).....3- not very portable.....it can be done the batts to run a system like this on location are very large or it means a quiet gemerator.......4- if you do take them on location you need a multitude of sherpas to lug stuff to and fro....................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2010
    Okay, so more output....

I am looking at a 4 light set, admittedly low power. But if my thinking is right...

The power pack has a guide number of 270. If I use all 4 lights on symmetrical setting then the GN should be 270/4=67.5. Compare that to the GN of 141 (max Gn I think). So a more direct comparison would be 141*4=564.

So for the 400ws Speedolite unit I am looking at power is not an advantage. Needing only 1 RF receiver for all 4 lights is kinda nice and I still have two receivers left over to either use as a double speedlite setup or two more lights giving me a 6 light setup...

Another advantage (considering I am thinking portable studio) is needing only one outlet with a power pack, as opposed to monolights...

So am I right about the power? Maybe getting a second D402 could be useful, especially if I need to set up outside....
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,904 moderator
    edited January 23, 2010
    Guide numbers are exponential. Twice the GN is 4 times the power.

1/4 of GN 270 would be GN 135 (assuming an equal power division) to each head. There is no guarantee that Speedotron GNs are directly comparable to speedlight GNs.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums