Options

Talented Craigslist Wedding Photographer!

canonboycanonboy Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited January 24, 2010 in Weddings
Hi everyone! I'm a long-time lurker. First time poster.

I stumbled across this Craigslist ad on another forum, and thought this could be very helpful for budget-conscious couples: http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/crs/1525534132.html

Comments

• Options
    metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2010
  • Options
    Kevin KramerKevin Kramer Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    wow.. just.. wow.. headscratch.gif

funny though.
    Nikon D300s and Nikon D7000
    Nikon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | Tamron 70-200 2.8 | Tokina 11-16 2.8
    2 SB-900 and 2 SB-600's
    website | blog | facebook
  • Options
    matrix311matrix311 Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    interesting. Maybe we should all repost that in our local craiglist locations.
    Eric Schlaht, Phoenix Arizona Photographerhttp://www.esimaging.net - http://esimaging.blogspot.com/

Canon 7D, Canon 40D, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/4L IS, 50mm f/1.8, 430EX
  • Options
    PhotometricPhotometric Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    Someone has a very angry sense of humor...
    http://www.djdimages.com/

"Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition."
    -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    Ha! I saw that from one of my twitter friends! What cruel and dark humor! Oh the irony!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    Crystal-PixelCrystal-Pixel Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited January 16, 2010
    Awesome :)
    Crystal Saly

My Smug: www.crystalpixelphotography.com
    My Site: www.crystal-pixel.com

"I'm in love with my Canon.. & lovely L Lenses..."
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,927 moderator
    edited January 16, 2010
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2010
    That is just too funny! rolleyes1.gif I read it out loud for my son and he cracked up as well!

I seem to recall reading something like that sometime before but I'm not sure. Maybe it's that I did read it on POTN? I don't know.

The sad thing is I'm sure that there is going to be at least on person in the Salt Lake area who will respond with serious intent of getting a cheap wedding photography.
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2010
    Yeah, I've seen this type of thing before. Gotta wonder if any of that even hits home for the bride reading it. There are some sad ,sad truths in there.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2010
    I think I will respond to this ad.... Maybe ask if I can be a second shooter for the up and coming business. I have a camera phone... though Im not sure how many shots it will hold, but I believe over a hundred!!

I like classy and elegant too!!!
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2010
    you know what is just as sad? I was one of those brides :cry yup, $400 for 2 shooters. I was the first wedding, and said I didn't mind being a guinea pig. Ugh, if I could only go back in time. this was about a year ago, before i got into photography. I hired them not having a clue what the difference would be in a cheap photographer vs a quality one, but before the wedding I started dabbling and learning a bit, and by the time i got my pictures back I knew enough to know that I made a huge mistake. I thought, I could do better than that and i'd only been learning for a few months! I think that experience just inspired me to learn all I can and practice just for the pure fact to prove to myself I could. I have no intentions on being a solo wedding photographer or doing it for a business but who knows what the future holds...right now I second for another photog. I love doing it and enjoy not being a primary. But I think this post brings up an important point..people that don't know squat about photography literally think that the big fancy cameras are like magic cameras. And those are the ones that get taken advantage of by the owners of the magic cameras, who also believe this to be true. looking at my pictures makes me sick to my stomach, there are probably like 10 decent ones, and by decent I mean worth keeping. No formals, no fun pictures of me and my husband...just orange grainy crap, all shot in jpg. I was given the originals and the edited ones (which included about 25 edited, and um, that's not edited). AND to top it off, at the reception before the dances they were getting ready to leave because they were almost out of memory.

Oh and i hear the photographer had done about 3 weddings after mine, and now has a website. Pricing starts at $999. I guess I didn't get as screwed as somebody else is going to be.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited January 16, 2010
    This has gone around a couple of times and is probably someone's idea of a joke--at least this particular one. I'm sure there are many people who do start out just like this--which is pretty sad.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2010
    I think I will respond to this ad.... Maybe ask if I can be a second shooter for the up and coming business. I have a camera phone... though Im not sure how many shots it will hold, but I believe over a hundred!!

I like classy and elegant too!!!

lmaoooo rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2010
    definitely a joke. There has been threads about this before and I have seen it locally a well.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2010
    lilmomma wrote:
    you know what is just as sad? I was one of those brides :cry yup, $400 for 2 shooters. I was the first wedding, and said I didn't mind being a guinea pig. Ugh, if I could only go back in time. this was about a year ago, before i got into photography. I hired them not having a clue what the difference would be in a cheap photographer vs a quality one, but before the wedding I started dabbling and learning a bit, and by the time i got my pictures back I knew enough to know that I made a huge mistake. I thought, I could do better than that and i'd only been learning for a few months! I think that experience just inspired me to learn all I can and practice just for the pure fact to prove to myself I could. I have no intentions on being a solo wedding photographer or doing it for a business but who knows what the future holds...right now I second for another photog. I love doing it and enjoy not being a primary. But I think this post brings up an important point..people that don't know squat about photography literally think that the big fancy cameras are like magic cameras. And those are the ones that get taken advantage of by the owners of the magic cameras, who also believe this to be true. looking at my pictures makes me sick to my stomach, there are probably like 10 decent ones, and by decent I mean worth keeping. No formals, no fun pictures of me and my husband...just orange grainy crap, all shot in jpg. I was given the originals and the edited ones (which included about 25 edited, and um, that's not edited). AND to top it off, at the reception before the dances they were getting ready to leave because they were almost out of memory.

Oh and i hear the photographer had done about 3 weddings after mine, and now has a website. Pricing starts at $999. I guess I didn't get as screwed as somebody else is going to be.

Sometimes I consider offering a service to let-down brides, to give my best shot at polishing their turd photos and seeing if anything can shine through and be artistic. I hate to admit it, but I've shot some pretty ghetto weddings in my day, and my wife has seen the "before and after" of the photos, saying "WOW they'd be so screwed if they hadn't hired you and you processed the images the way you did!"

It would be like a loan modification process- you show me a sampling of the photos taken by el-crap-o photographer, and I decide whether or not we can do business. Then maybe $1 per image, if I think there's gold underneath the mud.

What do you think, Melissa?

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    cr8ingwavescr8ingwaves Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2010
    Matt,
    That would be a wonderful service to offer.
  • Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2010
    People who post these things have WAY...WAY...WAY...too much time on their hands...

SRSLY if you feel like you are losing business to craigslist postings, you may want to change "professions". We on the Baltimore craigslist have this "artist avenger" type who chastises and hounds people who post in creative for opportunities that offer little or no money. My feeling is STFU. If you don't want to do it...don't respond, take care of your business, spread your roots, and don't worry about everyone else.
  • Options
    Kevin KramerKevin Kramer Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited January 17, 2010
    Blurmore wrote:
    People who post these things have WAY...WAY...WAY...too much time on their hands...

SRSLY if you feel like you are losing business to craigslist postings, you may want to change "professions". We on the Baltimore craigslist have this "artist avenger" type who chastises and hounds people who post in creative for opportunities that offer little or no money. My feeling is STFU. If you don't want to do it...don't respond, take care of your business, spread your roots, and don't worry about everyone else.

We have one of those up here in the Philadelphia Craigslist area too. I just checked right now and there's one for a photographer needed with no pay.. and i can 100% guarantee you that it's not going to be up there later on because it will be flagged as spam, and the bitter person is going to post a reply to it..

A few of them sound fun enough to do though..
    Nikon D300s and Nikon D7000
    Nikon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | Tamron 70-200 2.8 | Tokina 11-16 2.8
    2 SB-900 and 2 SB-600's
    website | blog | facebook
  • Options
    lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2010
    Sometimes I consider offering a service to let-down brides, to give my best shot at polishing their turd photos and seeing if anything can shine through and be artistic. I hate to admit it, but I've shot some pretty ghetto weddings in my day, and my wife has seen the "before and after" of the photos, saying "WOW they'd be so screwed if they hadn't hired you and you processed the images the way you did!"

It would be like a loan modification process- you show me a sampling of the photos taken by el-crap-o photographer, and I decide whether or not we can do business. Then maybe $1 per image, if I think there's gold underneath the mud.

=Matt=

that is a very generous offer, I will upload all the originals to a gallery and PM you. I played a lot with them, but after going through them all this time maybe it takes some fresh eyes. Thank you Matt!
  • Options
    e mari ad terrame mari ad terram Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited January 22, 2010

=Matt=

I think you may really have something here... I had a friend who asked me to be in the wedding, and unfortunately not shoot the wedding. It was evident from the start that the photo's were not going to be good, just by what I saw of the shooter. I couldn't say anything then, cause it would have just caused chaos (maybe I should have). All I could do was hope that I could "polish those turds" when the files came back to them. It was tough work and a LOT of post process, but we did get some to turn around. Not many, but some, and they were so grateful. I still feel bad. I am not a wedding photog, someday maybe, but on my worst day, I would have done better.

I am sure you could definitely find a lot of willing couples to take you on, what do they have to lose? You would only be improving the situation.
    Fear evaporates when we realize that our life stories and the history of the world were written with the same hand.
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2010
    I think you may really have something here... I had a friend who asked me to be in the wedding, and unfortunately not shoot the wedding. It was evident from the start that the photo's were not going to be good, just by what I saw of the shooter. I couldn't say anything then, cause it would have just caused chaos (maybe I should have). All I could do was hope that I could "polish those turds" when the files came back to them. It was tough work and a LOT of post process, but we did get some to turn around. Not many, but some, and they were so grateful. I still feel bad. I am not a wedding photog, someday maybe, but on my worst day, I would have done better.

I am sure you could definitely find a lot of willing couples to take you on, what do they have to lose? You would only be improving the situation.

reminds me of a Staples TV commercial where the little ol' barber has a big chain move in across the street charging $6 dollars per hair cut, so little ol'barber goes to staples and has a sign made, reading: "we fix $6 cuts"

rolleyes1.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    squiddysquiddy Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2010
    awesome!! rolleyes1.gif