Options

#42 am I getting the hang of this? lol

MrsCueMrsCue Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
edited January 24, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
Setting an example

4293729265_e338a95740_o.jpg
Canon EOS 40D, Canon EOS 350D, 50mm 1.8 MKII prime lens, 17-40mm f/4 L lens, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS lens, 430 EX speedlite, Tungsten Continuous studio light, Pocket Wizards, Gary Fong Lightsphere, Stofen Omni bounce diffuser, 5in1 reflector

Comments

• Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2010
    This is kind of like a coin. And you flip it over and get the exact opposite front view. Heads or tails, and I think heads would have more detail. Am I being ambiquous?
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2010
    Get in front of them.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2010
    rutt wrote:
    Get in front of them.

MrsCue,
    To expand on Rutt's statement--which was sweet and to the point.
    When I first started shooting PJ/street shots 5 months ago, I was pretty terrified and insecure about shooting people, so all my shots were taken from the back--I've noticed yours is not the only shot like this for this challenge. This is hard to overcome, this fear, insecurity whatever (I was afraid to get punched to be honest as I had a nasty experience, but I'm in NY so that explains itrolleyes1.gif ). So I feel everyone's discomfort here.

To get the full story, we have to see expressions, that's what it's all about--Sure there are exceptions to this rule--but those are few and far between.

I'm still not over my fear of this--but I fake it, and if I don't look uncomfortable or I pretend I know what I'm doing, people pretty much don't notice me.

So yes--"get infront of them":D .
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2010
    Here's another. You can't control the subjects or setting.

Get in front, get close, contrast is your friend, technical aspects can be secondary. Do all of these and the damned subject could still stare you in the eye which sorta doesn't work, but it could.

Your shot should be from the front, it's from the back. The front shot might not have worked. There might have been options that could have made a back shot interesting. One of the hardest things about street these days is knowing when it's not even worth a digital frame to take the shot.
  • Options
    MachineAgeMachineAge Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited January 23, 2010
    I don't quite know what the photo's about and not sure that getting in front of them would solve it but agree that there would be more to work with. There are elements here...the police truck especially...that could bring some narrative if shot differently.
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2010
    No parking on double yellow lines in the UK, but it's ok for the Police? headscratch.gif
    Canon EOS 40D, Canon EOS 350D, 50mm 1.8 MKII prime lens, 17-40mm f/4 L lens, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS lens, 430 EX speedlite, Tungsten Continuous studio light, Pocket Wizards, Gary Fong Lightsphere, Stofen Omni bounce diffuser, 5in1 reflector

• Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2010
    MrsCue wrote:
    No parking on double yellow lines in the UK, but it's ok for the Police? headscratch.gif

Oh I thought maybe it was they were parked on the sidewalk. I noticed all the other cars in front parked on the double yellow lines so really I thought it was the sidewalk that was an issue--Laughing.gif, I totally missed it.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2010
    Nope. The other cars are parked on 1 hour spaces. The double yellow lines start underneath the van.

• Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2010
    I understand what you are going for, but it is not obvious without knowing the local laws. And the lines are not obviously yellow in BW. A no parking sign would have shown it.