Options

"Green" albums?

Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
edited January 25, 2010 in Weddings
I was reading up on looking further into greening my business and was curious to know if there are any album makers that have "green" albums and prints in their line up?

I just checked out Couture books, but I am not sure how good they are.
Food & Culture.
www.tednghiem.com

Comments

• Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2010
    I signed up with Wild Magnolia Design, don't know how they are but we'll find out :o)
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2010
    uhmm.. actually it is because I care about the fact that we are trashing the environment and that our resources are limited.

And there are wedding clients who DO care about it as much as I do. Whether you believe in global warming or not, the fact is the resources of our planet is limited.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2010
    Ahh yeah that is true. Some things to ponder I guess.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2010
    Glort wrote:
    No, I care.

Photography, traditional or modern methods, is a very UN environmentally friendly practice. Paper making of any type uses a lot of very harmful practices, chemicals and energy and so does the manufacture and printing of photographic prints.
    You forgot how toxic the semiconductor making process is (your sensor, your camera, the computer, etc.)

I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how a picture album could be green. Recycled paper for the prints is about my only guess, and I'm not sure how well that would work anyway.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2010
    I can only speak from a publishing/large press perspective, but some of my vendors give me real food for thought whenever I'm tasked by management to produce a "green" document.

For example, using soy-based inks requires the use of an offset printer, but using regular ink allows digital printing, which uses less energy. Recycled paper has many varieties, but some reams are produced by companies using only wind energy, and my best vendors know which. Using metal/wire-o binding instead of plastic doesn't help reduce energy consumption, but it improves recyclability.

When I can, I convince management that to be truly green, they wouldn't print anything at all (and it's worked a couple times), but when I can't talk them out of it, I try to find the best compromise. The examples above are a very slim sample of things to consider.
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2010
    Good points are made. I just checked pricing on one of those Green books, you're talking $600.00 starting price for a few pages. I think word "Green" means something else :D
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2010
    hmm.. I might scratch that idea. :(
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    WildMagnoliaDesignWildMagnoliaDesign Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 23, 2010
    ShepsMom wrote:
    Good points are made. I just checked pricing on one of those Green books, you're talking $600.00 starting price for a few pages. I think word "Green" means something else :D
    Hi there. I am the owner of Wild Magnolia Design and came across this post in a Google search. I am only replying because this is on a public forum which can be accessed through a Google search by anyone.

First of all, my album starting prices begin at almost half of what has been said here. Additionally, all albums, as clearly stated on the website, include 18 spreads (36 individual pages) which is very generous as wedding album companies go, as most of the higher end flushmount books that are not press printed only include 10 spreads and charge to upgrade. I believe 18 spreads is more than just a "few" pages, unless you are used to cheaper magazine style printing.

Additionally, all my books are rated as archival quality, and are Giclee printed and rated to last over 200 years if stored properly. I try to strike a strong balance between using "green" materials as well as durability because I believe something that will last multiple lifetimes and use slightly less eco-friendly materials is far better for the environment than press-printed albums that decay in a matter of a decade but are made with recycled papers (and consequently have to be replaced). I have researched materials to a great extent and offer several paper options, one being the only 100% PCW *AND* archival-rated paper available right that can hold up 1440 DPI resolution giclee printing. My "green" material choices go far beyond just a marketing campaign, and I hand-make each book from scratch.

If you are looking for a cheaper eco-alternative, GP Albums offers a self-mount book for a very reasonable price which also looks pretty decent for the price range. You would have to have another lab make your prints, but it is a good eco-friendly alternative for clients on a budget.

I am very excited about my products and just wanted to make sure that there wasn't misinformation spread about my business, just as I am sure you guys wouldn't appreciate misinformation about yours (: My pricing information is meant for approved photographer eyes only and generally not to be shared publicly, especially when it is incorrect information! :D

Here is a more in-depth article on my philosophy if you are interested at all:

http://www.greenerphotography.org/blog/?p=214

Thanks!
  • Options
    MoxMox Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2010
    I'm so glad you chimed in.

I've registered with your site and find your product line to be lovely. I'll certainly be offering your books to clients, and can't wait to place my first order. Keep up the good work and best of luck to you as you build your new business.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2010
    ...than press-printed albums that decay in a matter of a decade but are made with recycled papers (and consequently have to be replaced).
    Not to hijack the thread but I am curious how long a typical press book will last? I've bought mine from Asuka Book and Pounds Photo Labs and I really have no idea what the longevity of these books is.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu