Help with naming these photos for competition?

WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
edited January 28, 2010 in People
Happy New Year dgrinners! Been pretty much MIA for the past few months... missed hanging with you all but crazy busy during the holidays. Still can't seem to catch up but hope I can hop on here more often. Was hope you all could help me with naming these few photos that I am entering into competition... Can't seem to come up with anything interesting.. got any ideas? c/c on the photos themselves appreciated!
PS: the girl with the double exposure was done that way because she has epilepsy and was thinking of using that in the title but can't figure out how to word it... something like "coming out of the shadows of epilepsy?" Thanks for looking!

766011946_hi4Te-L.jpg

766012613_8WMoG-L.jpg

766013981_hsKuX-L.jpg
Snady :thumb
my money well spent :D
Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!

Comments

• Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2010
    Great pictures!

…so why do they need titles? (see on-going threads re: are titles really necessary etc.)

…forget the epilepsy thing; the picture is good enough to stand on its own; the girl is gorgeous, the picture is beautifully done and doesn't need a crutch!

The last one reminds me of the Gary Larson cartoon showing two cows looking out at the viewer, and one of the cows is chewing bubble-gum… :D

Nice job! I'd leave them untitled…

thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2010
    Wil Davis wrote:
    Great pictures!

…so why do they need titles? (see on-going threads re: are title really necessary etc.)

…forget the epilepsy thing; the picture is good enough to stand on its own; the girl is gorgeous, the picture is beautifully done and doesn't need a crutch!

The last one reminds me of the Gary Larson cartoon showing two cows looking out at the viewer, and one of the cows is chewing bubble-gum… :D

Nice job! I'd leave them untitled…

thumb.gif

- Wil

Thanks Will...but I need titles for my Local and State competitions. They are a requirement and a huge part of the judging process. Bad titles get bad reviews and I am not too good when it comes to them! But I appreciate your kind remarks!
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2010
    For the first one, I like it without the shadow myself, but that's just me.

Something like "Snow Princess" would work, she looks like she belongs in Narnia. She is beautiful, and looks like a total girly girl, so I'm sure she wouldn't mind being a Princess for a competition.

The second... well, something to do with her pouting - it looks wintery to me, but your first one is also wintery (I'm thinking it's the white).

The third: "Happy Cows come from New York, not California" :)

Just a suggestion.
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2010
    snip…
    They are a requirement and a huge part of the judging process. Bad titles get bad reviews and I am not too good when it comes to them!
    …snip

Ah well, rules is rules…

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
    edited January 16, 2010
    For the first one, I like it without the shadow myself, but that's just me.

Something like "Snow Princess" would work, she looks like she belongs in Narnia. She is beautiful, and looks like a total girly girl, so I'm sure she wouldn't mind being a Princess for a competition.

The second... well, something to do with her pouting - it looks wintery to me, but your first one is also wintery (I'm thinking it's the white).

The third: "Happy Cows come from New York, not California" :)

Just a suggestion.

Thanks LK! I really like the cow suggestion...just might use that! I am torn about the first one. My experience has been that competitions don't like "big heads" The original pic is farther away but her eyes and features are so striking I think it makes more impact close up... thats why the picture is a little smaller on the canvas.... But I may just go with it anyway... Thanks again!
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2010
    How about "Seizure the Day!" for the first one? Or "Fit (epileptic) for a Queen"...

Anyway, excellent shots. It will take superb photos to beat these...
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2010
    I like all three shots but the only one a title jumps out at me is #3.

" I didn't do it I was framed" :D

Sam
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2010
    I LOVE all three!! Not so sure about the first one using her illness, I agree with Will. I'll come back if I can think of anything for titles. GREAT photos!!
    BTW I was born in Wisconsin, not too sure about that NY thing for cows! or Ca either.! Too smoggy!!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
    edited January 17, 2010
    Sam wrote:
    I like all three shots but the only one a title jumps out at me is #3.

" I didn't do it I was framed" :D

Sam

Haha Sam! I like that! Very fitting with the expression :)
    edited January 17, 2010
    VayCayMom wrote:
    I LOVE all three!! Not so sure about the first one using her illness, I agree with Will. I'll come back if I can think of anything for titles. GREAT photos!!
    BTW I was born in Wisconsin, not too sure about that NY thing for cows! or Ca either.! Too smoggy!!

Thanks for the compliment! The NY cow thing was about the commercial on television that references happy cows in California....
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2010
    I wish I could help with the titles....I'm never good with that. These photos are phenominal! Really breathtakingly beautiful. Very very nice. Thanks for sharing.:D
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2010
    Beauty
    Innocence
    Window

I love all three of these pictures. Really top rate work.
    You should do well.
  • RacinRandyRacinRandy Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2010
    PS: the girl with the double exposure was done that way because she has epilepsy and was thinking of using that in the title but can't figure out how to word it... something like "coming out of the shadows of epilepsy?"

766011946_hi4Te-L.jpg

Just curious here. Why would you want to point out an intimate personal situation that isn't evident in the actual photo? She is a Beautiful young lady in a great portrait. Why would you need to "influence" it for anything more or less than what it is. headscratch.gif

I hope you can read that I am not trying to be rude, I'm just lacking social graces at times.deal.gif

Snow Princess?? maybe for title
    Randy

EOS Rebel XS Digital/ EOS 7D/ EOS 6D
    50mm f1.8/ Tamron 70-200 f2.8 is/ 24-105 f4L
    Canon speedlights and Alien Bees
    edited January 25, 2010
    Thanks so much for your help with naming these photos! I did use some of your suggestions!

Snow Princess won a blue ribbon with a merited 83 in the portrait category. I took your advice and just put her in the picture. I think my original idea was more for an advertisement than anything. Thanks for bringing me back to reality. Here is the edit.....

773488943_n8m8M-L.jpg
    My little cow friend was titled "I was framed" and earned a merit score of 81

766013981_hsKuX-L.jpg

My little "Pout'r Puff" (only thing I could come up with) only scored a 78 and didn't merit but was a 4th place finish.

766012613_8WMoG-L.jpg

And this one that I didn't post before won a red ribbon with an 84 merit... up against a landscape that earned a 95! It was titled "Fine Art of Fine Food" Thanks again!

773488564_oA5Ya-L.jpg
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2010
    Congratulations! clap.gif
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    edited January 26, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Congratulations! clap.gif

Thanks so much Andrew!
  • PixoulPixoul Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    edited January 26, 2010
    Awesome!!!
    Thanks for letting us know your results, I was curious to know what and how you did!

Great Job!! Snow Princess really is a beautiful young lady!

wings.gifbarbwings.gifbarb:ivar:ivar:ivar:ivarclap.gifclapclap.gifclap
    Randy

• JustPeachy2JustPeachy2 Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    Wings of Love Photo:re girl
    Haha Sam! I like that! Very fitting with the expression :)
    First off, your photo the the girl is beautiful but I feel labeling her as an epilepic is not right, in my opinion; it should have nothing to do with the photo. She does have a disease but that does not define her as the beautiful person she is. I am trying to say this right, and it is difficult. As for a title how about "Trust through a Child's Eyes"? JustPeacy2
    edited January 26, 2010
    First off, your photo the the girl is beautiful but I feel labeling her as an epilepic is not right, in my opinion; it should have nothing to do with the photo. She does have a disease but that does not define her as the beautiful person she is. I am trying to say this right, and it is difficult. As for a title how about "Trust through a Child's Eyes"? JustPeacy2

If you read through the entire thread you will see that I didn't do that... That she was titled Snow Princess and was redone and won 1st place in the competition. The idea of the epilepsy was supposed to be a positive thing bringing her illness out of the dark and allowing people to know that it is ok to have epilepsy. It may be submitted for an advertisement for childhood epilepsy. I can say I don't appreciate your burning face in your post though......
    edited January 26, 2010
    RacinRandy wrote:
    Thanks for letting us know your results, I was curious to know what and how you did!

Great Job!! Snow Princess really is a beautiful young lady!

wings.gifbarbwings.gifbarb:ivar:ivar:ivar:ivarclap.gifclapclap.gifclap

Thanks so much Randy! Can you believe that she is only 7 years old! Can only imagine what she will look like in 10 years! I am glad I am not her mother :) Won't be able to keep the boys away!
    edited January 26, 2010
    Thanks so much Randy! Can you believe that she is only 7 years old! Can only imagine what she will look like in 10 years! I am glad I am not her mother :) Won't be able to keep the boys away!

I am sure her Dad is out buying firearms and tracking devices already!! rolleyes1.gif

I didn't realize she took first!! AWESOMER YET!! (intentional typo)

One Day I too shall, hopefully, create beautiful portraits as you do now!
    Randy

• JustPeachy2JustPeachy2 Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited January 28, 2010
    Wings of Love Photo:re girl
    If you read through the entire thread you will see that I didn't do that... That she was titled Snow Princess and was redone and won 1st place in the competition. The idea of the epilepsy was supposed to be a positive thing bringing her illness out of the dark and allowing people to know that it is ok to have epilepsy. It may be submitted for an advertisement for childhood epilepsy. I can say I don't appreciate your burning face in your post though......

You're right! I'm wrong;. I must have had a serious brain cramp and I see what your're saying!. Your photo is fabulous and you deserve the 1st place. Jp2