Weekly Discussion Thread: Album Layouts / Designs

AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
edited March 2, 2010 in Weddings
Sorry I didn't post a weekly thread last week, I was fighting with my internet connection, no comment :scratch

Hope you're all going to participate at this weeks thread though :D

Let's talk album:

• are you willing to share some album layouts? Feel free to post some here, or share a link .... whatever works best for you :thumb
• What style are you trying to achieve?
• Do you let your customers choose the pics for the album, or do you select them yourself?
• Who are your favorite album crafters? (I know this has been asked already many times, but thought it would be nice to have everything in one thread)
• Are you using a special layout program, or do you create everything by yourself?

:lynnma

>> Shhhhhhht. Wanna see the other weekly threads? Click HERE.

Comments

• mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Sorry I didn't post a weekly thread last week, I was fighting with my internet connection, no comment headscratch.gif

Hope you're all going to participate at this weeks thread though :D

Let's talk album:

• are you willing to share some album layouts? Feel free to post some here, or share a link .... whatever works best for you thumb.gif
    • What style are you trying to achieve?
    • Do you let your customers choose the pics for the album, or do you select them yourself?
    • Who are your favorite album crafters? (I know this has been asked already many times, but thought it would be nice to have everything in one thread)
    • Are you using a special layout program, or do you create everything by yourself?

cheerleader.gif

Good timing Ang! Just got an order for an album for my crazy Jewish wedding yesterday. I am currious if it is typical to include the formals and general reception shots in the album or mostly just the "wow" stuff? I am letting them deceide the above, and also letting them pick the shots but they understand that I have creative license on this and I won't be able to use everything they pick due to orientation and design flow or whatever. I told them to let me know the top 100 or so and 10 must haves, and then to expect that I would probably use only 50 or so in their 20 page album. More than likely though, I will end up designing 30 or so pages and see if they want to upgrade the page count. there was so much going on at this wedding I can't see properly telling the story on only 10 spreads.

I'm excited as this is my first full album. I will be printing with Vision Art because I have a free gift certificate from them and the ones I have seen from them are gorgeous. I am planning on designing the pages in PS.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    mmmatt wrote:
    Good timing Ang! Just got an order for an album for my crazy Jewish wedding yesterday. I am curious if it is typical to include the formals and general reception shots in the album or mostly just the "wow" stuff? I am letting them deceide the above, and also letting them pick the shots but they understand that I have creative license on this and I won't be able to use everything they pick due to orientation and design flow or whatever. I told them to let me know the top 100 or so and 10 must haves, and then to expect that I would probably use only 50 or so in their 20 page album. More than likely though, I will end up designing 30 or so pages and see if they want to upgrade the page count. there was so much going on at this wedding I can't see properly telling the story on only 10 spreads.

I'm excited as this is my first full album. I will be printing with Vision Art because I have a free gift certificate from them and the ones I have seen from them are gorgeous. I am planning on designing the pages in PS.

Matt

Hm, I definitely include family photos (I'm suffering trough them for a reason, haha!) In a 30-34 pages album I'd say I have in average ....

- 6 pages with photos of the bride getting ready (+ details & shots with fam & girls)
    - 2 pages (haha) of the groom getting ready (with some shots of all the guys)
    - 4 pages with ceremony pics
    - 2 pages with after-ceremony candids
    - 4 pages with family photos
    - 2-4 pages with with with the bridal party
    - 6 pages with photos of just the 2 of them
    - 4-6 pages with detail shots of the venue & reception shots (mostly first dance / parent dances / cake cutting + random candids of their friends & family)

For a 30 page album I tell them to choose 120-180 pics, so 4-6 per page and do full size prints of their favorites
    I will actually use most of the ones they selected, if I won't like the photos they chose there is always a good way to persuade them to pick other ones instead, but generally the ones I really hate don't make it onto their CD anyway, so .... haha ... mwink.gif

Since it will be your first album (right?), I'd say don't go too crazy, and try to have a clean design throughout the whole album. I'd keep it simple, just so it doesn't look agedc in a couple of years and people won't think ... gosh what a "2010" album ... yiikes mwink.gif Classy & simple age better thumb.gif

Don't know anything about Vision Art, but do share your final results, I'd be really curious to see it :Dthumb.gif
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Hm, I definitely include family photos (I'm suffering trough them for a reason, haha!) In a 30-34 pages album I'd say I have in average ....

- 6 pages with photos of the bride getting ready (+ details & shots with fam & girls)
    - 4-6 pages with detail shots of the venue & reception shots (mostly first dance / parent dances / cake cutting + random candids of their friends & family)

For a 30 page album I tell them to choose 120-180 pics, so 4-6 per page and do full size prints of their favorites
    I will actually use most of the ones they selected, if I won't like the photos they chose there is always a good way to persuade them to pick other ones instead, but generally the ones I really hate don't make it onto their CD anyway, so .... haha ... mwink.gif

Since it will be your first album (right?), I'd say don't go too crazy, and try to have a clean design throughout the whole album. I'd keep it simple, just so it doesn't look agedc in a couple of years and people won't think ... gosh what a "2010" album ... yiikes mwink.gif Classy & simple age better thumb.gif

Don't know anything about Vision Art, but do share your final results, I'd be really curious to see it :Dthumb.gif

Hey Ang....would you be willing to upload a spread of yours? I've always been curious how you fit so many images into a spread layout. I average about half that, but I like to run pics big. deal.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Vision Art is a company out of Marshalltown, Iowa. The owners are friends of mine and several of my friends work there. They work strictly with photographers. They use to do design work too, but the printing side of the business was booming so much that they just focus on that now.

http://www.visionartbook.com/

Here is the link to the public side of their forum where people have uploaded samples. You have to register to access the pro side obviously.
    http://www.visionartbooks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    urbanaries wrote:
    Hey Ang....would you be willing to upload a spread of yours? I've always been curious how you fit so many images into a spread layout. I average about half that, but I like to run pics big. deal.gif

+1
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited January 26, 2010
    urbanaries wrote:
    Sure thing!

As I said, I prefer to do "simple" designs, no crazy borders, no tiled images ... just not my style, so things are very straight forward. I think this couple chose in average 5 pics per page, 36 pages:

P.s. don't kill me because of the family pics, this was a backyard / garden wedding, and I had no good shady spot for huge group shots + it was terribly windy that day ...

774181705_BhnHL-XL.jpg

774181779_UrBbL-XL-1.jpg

774181862_N6efC-XL-1.jpg

774181995_GDtqi-XL-1.jpg

774182129_bnSD6-XL.jpg

774182240_fFGA2-XL.jpg

774182382_MF96x-XL.jpg

774182508_hwVPF-XL.jpg

774182607_YzcNX-XL.jpg

774182707_T9PaW-XL.jpg

774182821_zZTyF-XL.jpg

774182882_fzdjz-XL.jpg

774183002_Mz82P-XL.jpg

774183127_9W2oz-XL.jpg

774183234_V4JVi-XL.jpg

774183325_eWVLR-XL.jpg

774183474_6B6Ga-XL.jpg

774183647_UYovm-XL.jpg

ALL pics were chosen by the couple, so it was just a matter of putting them in the right spot. I actually just ordered a copy for myself, so I finally have a full wedding album (of just one wedding) to show to my clients.

HERE is an other sample, though I did some minor color corrections after she gave me the final "ok", which I didn't upload to the gallery anymore. All of their photos were chosen by the couple, I just included some few additions. I wasn't too crazy about the front page, but thought I could live with it thumb.gif

And NOPE, I didn't use any templates .... just good old photoshop thumb.gif
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    Oh... bowdown.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
    edited January 26, 2010
    Agnieszka wrote:

No worries Angie, I won't ho it up. :tuesday It will be "simple yet elegant" and in similar vein to what you just posted here (not nearly as good I'm sure!). I do like diffused/reduced opacity images as backgrounds though and like yourself full page spanning images with complimentary images within the spread. My plan is to keep to theme on each spread and try to tell the story. I'll post here as I go during the onset to get opinions and make sure I am on the right track. I noticed you don't seem to mind putting a page split right through the brides face. NBD? Looks all good? It has been my thought to avoid that even on a flushmount.

I did do a guest book from their engagement photos and they loved it, so I have a feel for what they want. Actually, if people aren't offering that now to their clients it is a great moneymaker. I printed with Blurb so it wasn't cost prohibitive and people raved about it. Every time I looked that way people were looking through it and talking about the images. B&G have passed many compliments to me about it and it sold the Album I'm starting on now.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
    edited January 26, 2010
    mmmatt wrote:
    I noticed you don't seem to mind putting a page split right through the brides face. NBD? Looks all good? It has been my thought to avoid that even on a flushmount.

Oh nono ... no folds right on anybody's face. I don't mind if the photo doesn't end exactly at the split (think it's kind of boring if it always does), but of course you need to watch where exactly the fold is thumb.gif

Sounds like your guest book was quite a hit clap.gif Well, feel free to post your layouts here, would love to see :D
    edited January 26, 2010
    I thought so but it looks like the split on the 2nd spread is right through her face!

Here is the guest book I did. This was meant to be simple. the colors were to match her bridesmaids dresses and the backgrounds and borders were either photographs or samples from photographs as texture. These are not spreads except for the f/b cover. The spreads were photos on the left and blank page on the right for signing. This was done as an 8x10 so I didn't want to clutter up the pages with a lot of photos, and I did use some bordering because I was terrified I would chop something off! Lastly these were client previews so there were some color/text/layout tweeks before printing.

667953807_oaEDG-XL.jpg

673578444_Lrcde-L.jpg

667953322_K5J2f-L.jpg

this is what I did on the side opposite the picture pages
    649684149_ypPrj-L.jpg

649684080_Utmqo-L.jpg

650427246_fRHS6-L.jpg

649684506_PvNKZ-L.jpg

649684687_doSUn-L.jpg

650427324_WqF7m-L.jpg

649685158_87vRQ-L.jpg

649685374_Bi3uF-L.jpg

649685596_gG8fk-L.jpg

649685906_TWSWh-L.jpg

650427444_4CD54-L.jpg

649686457_s4gHc-L.jpg

649686716_dCHeM-L.jpg

649686881_Gp3s7-L.jpg

649687063_TP5ah-L.jpg

650427544_V8e5A-L.jpg

649687505_Vvoor-L.jpg

649683178_WAthz-L-1.jpg

649683399_P5icq-L-1.jpg

649683616_cqz3F-L-1.jpg

OK... That was a lot of cut'n n pastin'! Note the Pat fury rip-off shot? Ha!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

edited January 27, 2010
    Oh, I like it mmmatt! What a cute couple!! :D
    edited January 27, 2010
    Ok Angie. that's IT! I need to hijack your Photoshop skills...and I've been working in that program for the better part of 12 years. You make it look SOOO easy! I don't know how you line things up so evenly and easily in Photoshop, I'd need Quark or InDesign to keep things so even steven without spending hours on each one. Do you use masks? do you "delete" parts of images after you rasterize them to make them fit? Or use a layover CS plugin like Album DS?

In short, could you pretty please show us a snap of one of those layouts' layers? WITH CHERRY ON TOP???:D
    Canon 5D MkI
    edited January 27, 2010
    urbanaries wrote:
    I don't know how you line things up so evenly and easily in Photoshop, I'd need Quark or InDesign to keep things so even steven without spending hours on each one. Do you use masks? do you "delete" parts of images after you rasterize them to make them fit? Or use a layover CS plugin like Album DS?
    Oh my!! I feel honored, but I'm serious there is no special secrety-secret. I am super lazy, so I only work with 8 guide lines (4 safety margins / horizontal + vertical line of the spread + the 2 vertical center lines of each page) / assuming it's a double side spread. + the arrow keys (oh yeah! :D) and that is it, I promise!

AND IT'S ALLLL DONE IN PHOTOSHOP, no plugins, no masks, nothing ... just make sure you re-size the pics before you drag them into your layout. thumb.gif

Ok, let's see .... my computer actually also automatically snaps photos so they are automatically aligned. Might be a setting that you don't have turned on, not sure ... the only thing I saw that you might want to click is VIEW > SNAP (in Photoshop)

774687265_JzmvN-XL.png

I'll be happy to show you what I do, but don't expect a magic button :D

1. My guidelines:
    774684334_w2EXT-XL.jpg

2. The pic oon the right side goes in:
    Ok, I had the pics already in when I took all those snapshots, BUT .... I knew I'd want to do a big pic on the right, and 4 smaller ones on the left. So I thew in the big pic and re sized it by hand. Yes, it goes a bit over the center edge. I don't care when it does that (it depends on the pic), in this case I like the "panoramic" photo, so I left it as it was.

3. The 4 pics on the left page:
    Next up, is putting the 4 pics in. I usually like it when they're super aligned, so in this case I knew they would all need to be the same height. I re sized all photos, and made them 4 inches high, then I dragged them in one by one. Now, as I said, my computer align-snaps them automatically, so I put one rigth next to the other (let's say we're talking about the upper 2 pics on the left page). I like to have a little space in between, so I check at what % I am currently zoomed into the page ... it's 18% ... ok, so I click on the layer with the photo on the top right, and push the arrow button twice to the right.
    Then next pic, it's 4inches tall, so I can just drag it in (I check my zoom %, it's still 18%), so I can just drag it it, right below the top left pic so the 2 left sides align. Then I hit the down-arrow button twice, and voila, same spacing .... and last put not least I'll do the same for the last pic. mwink.gif

I mean, yes, you could make it all with guide lines, but hey, I don't want to spend *that* much time on each page .... it's much easier like this ... works for me anyway thumb.gif

774684337_UnYSH-X2.jpg

4. Centering the 4 pics:
    So now we have the 4 pics on the page (somewhere on the left), and the big pic on the right (which should be perfectly aligned).
    I like it when the spacing around all the pics on the left page is the same, so I create a quick rectangle (here in red). This is the space where the pics should be centered on. watch out, and don't include the space where the page will be cut off (so space minus safety margin) ... alrighty, so since the right pic goes a bit over my center line, I need to re-adjust the vertical line of my page, so I push it a bit to the left (if you're on the rectangle layer, the guide should automatically snap to the center line once you're "in the right area")

And then I just select all layers (4 photos) that will be on the left page, and snap the center to the center of the 2 guides. And that's it thumb.gif

Alrighty ... I did some special cropping to them, so in MY case the 4 pics don't have the same height (as you can see / the center spacing doesn't align with the center line), BUT since I had to do the special cropping I don't care much as the eye will most likely not see THAT part, but it would see if the spacing around the 4 photos would not be the same.

So then, I just need to delete my red rectangle, and I am DONE. Next ... :D
    774684359_MSzUs-X2.jpg

Here's an other one I did with just the double-arrowing ... :
    774699447_wQDAU-X2.jpg

I like having a mental 2" grid ... so most of the pics were either 4x2, or 4x6, 4x8 .... you get the message. You'll just have to re size them a tiny little bit ... as if you have a big pic next to 2 little ones it won't quite work as easily (as the big pic has obviously no spacing, but the 2 small pics next to it have a little spacing line n between them (sorry, it's hard to explain) .... in that case I'd just use guide lines to help me re size the big pic, but it's nothing fancy ...thumb.gif
    edited January 27, 2010
    Angie you are such an asset to this place. That is some good info!!!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

edited January 27, 2010
    mmmatt wrote:
    Angie you are such an asset to this place. That is some good info!!!

Matt

Oh goooooood, I am SO glad to hear this was helpful! iloveyou.gif Thanks Matt.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2010
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Oh goooooood, I am SO glad to hear this was helpful! iloveyou.gif Thanks Matt.

Sheesh.....I woulda never thought you were "shooting from the hip" with your layouts, and always had you pegged as using templates, or a dedicated program. My "shoot from the hip" doesnt look that nice!:D

But....Lightroom to the rescue!!!

By entering a custom page size in Lightrooms "Print" panel, you can set up a page for an album (In this case 11x8.5" Landscape-single spread)....then set margins etc and rows and columns. It is completely customizable....AND....by doing a "print package" type layout rather than a "tryptech" type layout you could also vary the dimensions of the images on the page.....although....I havent quite gotten the hang of THAT route.

Everything lines up automatically and borders are evenly spaced. Its a SUPER fast method, but you arent allowed any wiggle room for the ordering of the images. The will appear in the layout in the order they were shot. I dont know that this can be altered.

By reducing the "Page size" it could be used to produce inset composites as in Angies example rather than page filling composites. Just shrink the page size in LR and then export it....and open it onto a PS project of the correct page size.......make adjustments as needed.

No drop shadow options......or fanciness...just simple stroke options in LR.

I have toyed with the idea of doing some layouts in Lightroom with solid black images on a white background....and then use the resulting export as a mask for a more customizable approach in photoshop. Ive thought about it....but havent had time to follow through with that idea.

774888703_5exNt-XL.jpg

774889085_BpTEd-XL.jpg

Sheesh......seeing these on the web next to Angie's beautiful images makes me queasy!!!
    edited January 27, 2010
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    But....Lightroom to the rescue!!!

Haha! See. Told you! Your version sounds even easier than mine clap.gif I'm sure there are a gizillion ways to do layouts (and I'm sure mine is not will work best for most of the people, haha, BUT it works for me :D)

Thanks for sharing your ideas & layouts Jeff iloveyou.gif
  • MoxMox Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2010
    Angie, your work inspires me. Not just the album layouts, but your photos - they always feel so bright and fresh. They're a pleasure to look at!
    edited January 27, 2010
    Mox wrote:
    Angie, your work inspires me. Not just the album layouts, but your photos - they always feel so bright and fresh. They're a pleasure to look at!

Oh, thank you iloveyou.giflustiloveyou.gif

But please share some of YOUR layouts, tips & ideas, there are soooo many ways to approach *album design* cheerleader.gif:D
    edited January 27, 2010
    I've only covered a couple of weddings as a second shooter so far, so have yet to design an album. But hopefully soon! *fingers crossed!*
    edited January 27, 2010
    Mox wrote:
    I've only covered a couple of weddings as a second shooter so far, so have yet to design an album. But hopefully soon! *fingers crossed!*

Well we take anything we can thumb.gif .... sometimes putting album layouts / collages together (even if it's just for yourself or your blog) is a good "exercise" deal.gif
    edited January 27, 2010
    Excellent suggestion! I'm heading out of town tomorrow, but starting Monday, I'll consider it an assignment. Thank you. thumb.gif
  • BlueSkyPhotosBlueSkyPhotos Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited January 28, 2010
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Oh, thank you iloveyou.giflustiloveyou.gif

But please share some of YOUR layouts, tips & ideas, there are soooo many ways to approach *album design* cheerleader.gif:D

Hi,
    I used Photoshop for my very first album and it was too painful and too slow for me. I think partially it was my fault not knowing PS very well. Since then I switched to Fotofusion by Lumapix and never looked back. The full version cost about $300, but to me it is a great investment if you make a lot of albums. They have a free demo that you can play with before purchasing it.
    Jacek
    Hi,
    I used Photoshop for my very first album and it was too painful and too slow for me. I think partially it was my fault not knowing PS very well. Since then I switched to Fotofusion by Lumapix and never looked back. The full version cost about $300, but to me it is a great investment if you make a lot of albums. They have a free demo that you can play with before purchasing it.

Sounds like a great program. Show us some samples, I'm sure many on here would be interested in learning more clap.gif
  • metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2010
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    The will appear in the layout in the order they were shot. I dont know that this can be altered.
    I found a way around this when I was creating Lightroom layouts. If you make a quick collection of the images that you are using for the layout, you can rearrange them on the filmstrip at the bottom in the order you want them to appear on the page.
    edited January 28, 2010
    A big THANK YOU to our resident goddess Agnieszka for sharing her yummy behind-the-scenes creations iloveyou.giflustiloveyou.gifbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif

Here are a few I did in Photoshop....looking forward to finishing the rest of this sample album with Album DS. These spreads took wayyyy too long!

775663646_Vu42R-L.jpg

775015878_Ydq6V-L.jpg

775015929_i4SQc-L.jpg

775015972_fW3K9-L.jpg
    Canon 5D MkI
    edited January 28, 2010
    urbanaries wrote:
    Here are a few I did in Photoshop....looking forward to finishing the rest of this sample album with Album DS. These spreads took wayyyy too long!

Ohhhh, delicious beauty! Love these spreads!!! iloveyou.gif
    edited January 28, 2010
    full album
    And another one, done with GraphiStudio's software. I like their simpler layouts, they sure did go quick, too bad everything else with GS is like pulling teeth. :D

479215442_BWmpF-X3.jpg

479215638_NEtZv-XL.jpg

479215470_2Hjoa-XL.jpg

479215342_d2dBZ-XL.jpg

479215375_vAkcB-XL.jpg

479215408_dDx5A-XL.jpg

479215272_4vvFV-XL.jpg

479215382_uUNSS-XL.jpg

479215463_D7Xgz-XL.jpg

479215457_YhHZT-XL.jpg

479215402_L8NQZ-XL.jpg

479215388_x2ajk-XL.jpg

479215371_uY5oP-XL.jpg

479215364_fEUbw-XL.jpg

479215631_rLSce-XL.jpg

479215622_5CLJy-XL.jpg

479215323_2ckne-XL.jpg

479215317_7BebQ-XL.jpg

479215307_wHPJ9-XL.jpg

479215297_Nv8ai-XL.jpg

479215291_K4hud-XL.jpg

479215278_E9xPf-XL.jpg
    (awesome main bride image in this spread shot by our very own SHIMA :)

479215559_3Zg4R-XL.jpg

479215549_h5mMU-XL.jpg

480712757_2BXm5-XL.jpg

479215476_WSLBk-XL.jpg

479215594_SQYtg-XL.jpg

479215582_MKNjE-XL.jpg
    Canon 5D MkI
  • tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2010
    Here's a recent album that I put together for a client. I predesigned it and only ended up changing out one photo!

http://patrickpikefilms.com/darkroom/share/?n=kyra8667
    edited January 28, 2010
    Here's a recent album that I put together for a client. I predesigned it and only ended up changing out one photo!

http://patrickpikefilms.com/darkroom/share/?n=kyra8667

Just wonderful (presentation included) bowdown.gif

Thanks a lot for sharing!! iloveyou.gif