Options

engagement "turning up the heat"

MissBMissB Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
edited January 26, 2010 in Weddings
Ok... so im not a really a shy photographer... but Im a little shy about how to get a couple..(my first "e" session) to warm up to the camera. I'd love to create this intimate... genuine... raw... result for my clients. But Im trying to invision how to get the ball rolling in the shoot. Im sure once everyone is comfortable it will go great.. but how to get over that first.. akward hump so that it can become more PJ.. than contrived. Any suggestions on how you help your "e" clients feel more at home in front of your camera...or is it really as simple as..

"ok... act like you love eachother...lol" ... "ok.. lets move over here and act like you love eachother somemore..:)"

thanks so much in advance :)

missB
Baby number 4: BUNDLEBOO
Newest baby: R.Gonzalez PHOTOGRAPHY or HERE
My rambling addiction: Crunchy Monkeys
facebook fan page: R.Gonzalez photography
:ivar

Comments

• Options
    Crystal-PixelCrystal-Pixel Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited January 24, 2010
    MissB wrote:
    Ok... so im not a really a shy photographer... but Im a little shy about how to get a couple..(my first "e" session) to warm up to the camera. I'd love to create this intimate... genuine... raw... result for my clients. But Im trying to invision how to get the ball rolling in the shoot. Im sure once everyone is comfortable it will go great.. but how to get over that first.. akward hump so that it can become more PJ.. than contrived. Any suggestions on how you help your "e" clients feel more at home in front of your camera...or is it really as simple as..

"ok... act like you love eachother...lol" ... "ok.. lets move over here and act like you love eachother somemore..:)"

thanks so much in advance :)

missB

I usually try to do some funny stuff first so they loosen up. After that everything seems to be pretty smooth :)
    Crystal Saly

My Smug: www.crystalpixelphotography.com
    My Site: www.crystal-pixel.com

"I'm in love with my Canon.. & lovely L Lenses..."
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2010
    ok.. so just joke around with them a bit to break the ice... so the norm really.
  • Options
    Crystal-PixelCrystal-Pixel Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2010
    MissB wrote:
    ok.. so just joke around with them a bit to break the ice... so the norm really.

I think so. It seems to work for me. I'm not sure about other folks. I usually think of some silly photos and have them pose, usually they are like "huh??" and eventually start to laugh it off. I also try to encourage them to let me know if they have an idea they want to try, sometimes they do and we give it a shot. Sometimes it doesn't come out right but they start to get more comfy in front of the camera. Afterwards the rest seems to be jello :) Also try to interact with them, talk to them, ask them questions and tell them about yourself too so they start to know you better.
    Crystal Saly

My Smug: www.crystalpixelphotography.com
    My Site: www.crystal-pixel.com

"I'm in love with my Canon.. & lovely L Lenses..."
  • Options
    pwppwp Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2010
    Honestly, if there is time before the shoot starts, and there should be if you planned well, I will invite them out to coffee or a quick lunch. This gives you all time to get to know each other better and relax. You can also get a feel for the shots they love or don't love. Then I just ease into it. Start with the cheesy, if it helps make them ease up a bit, then just let the couple do their thing and snap away when they think you aren't looking. I've also told couples that I will follow them back to the car and while we're walking gotten some really cute shots that way.
    ~Ang~
    My Site
    Proud Photog for The Littlest Heroes Project and Operation: LoveReunited
    Lovin' my Canon 5D Mark II!
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2010
    great ideas thank you!
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2010
    I was worried about this before my one and only e-shoot. The advice I was given was much as you've had, and it did make them comfortable.

I got a couple of really intense pre-kiss shots - the trick here was simply watching them as they interacted and started to relax enough to sneak in a quick smooch - as they moved together for a kiss I stuck my finger down and SNAPPED! Ok, some weren't so good, but by really firing off the shots at that point I got some shots which were surprisingly intimate for them. They're affectionate, but not THAT kind of afffectionate in public; one of their friends told me they were blown away (and slightly amused) to see that kind of shot from them! (In a positive sense, that is - they liked what i got :D)

In any case, heaven knows I am NO expert (HA!), but it's what worked for me :)

699636272_KxoX4-M.jpg

699635502_tN6HU-M.jpg
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2010
    There are all kinds of tricks for these... But a friendly and fun attitude from the photographer goes a long way to pull them out.

-Have him sniff her ear.. it usually makes both of them have great expressions and ends up looking like fun or romance or both.
    -Tell them to hug each other and pretend it is the very last hug...
    this is one of those: ( I love his body language in the fingers especially)

434327376_Yxawh-M-1.jpg

-Tell them to kiss while smiling.
    -I love the shots where one or both have to reach into the kiss... either by leaning down and straining up, or from one side:
    649504756_EBNrT-M.jpg

-walking and chatting... always a good one.
    -find out who is ticklish and arrange for tickle torture....yes I am that mean.
    -piggy back... for some reason the gal always looks adorable... really flattering on her chin and neck area. And he gets to show off how macho he is.
    -Have one lick the others cheek. You click immediately after the lick. I usually catch some great laughing expressions. I really have almost all my couples do this and silly as it may seem... works wonders and makes really natural expressions.
    -Urbanaries has her couples move and groove, swing and wiggle as though dancing throughout the session...She says it adds energy. I bet that would work for me if I could figure out how to demonstrate with my own clumsy self. I better leave that one to Lynne. But who knows... you could be really gracefull and good at explaining it.

I know I have lots of other tricks that come out of the moment, but I can't think of any more off the top of my head. But good luck! I bet you'll do great!
  • Options
    pwppwp Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    I also use the sniff the ear trick....has a mixed result, but they are almost always keepers. :D
    ~Ang~
    My Site
    Proud Photog for The Littlest Heroes Project and Operation: LoveReunited
    Lovin' my Canon 5D Mark II!
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2010
    what fun ideas... haha.. the licking the cheek ideas is great!..I can totally see that working.