Options

#43 - well, not really

JerryBartonJerryBarton Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
edited January 28, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
A good thought, but the reality didn't agree, so I'm not submitting this one....

(a) not sure that a hole in the floor counts as a window;
(b) the picture had a blurry bit at the bottom that I didn't notice;
(c) I had a raging case of vertigo standing on a narrow balcony and didn't hold the camera far enough out - the railing is in the bottom of the picture.

[since I'm not submitting it, I allowed myself to put a frame around it]

Still, nice thought and an 'unusual angle' that people are asking for...

775432174_3oAc3-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2010
    Wow! That scene was filled to the brim with possibilities! I had to look a couple of times to see what the picture actually was!

On first glimpse I thought you'd taken a screen-shot of something you had loaded into PhotoShop and were in the process of working on, (something like a crop or whatever); then I realized it was actually a frame…

IMNSHO frames don't always work…

…and the blurry bits; not so sure about those either; …perhaps blur the frame, and leave the stuff inside the frame un-blurred and razor sharp.

I would have tried to get as much detail as possible; as it is, there's so much blur in the picture that it looks as though it was taken through a steamed-up, or dirty, or semi-opaque piece of glass.

As I said earlier, the scene obviously had incredible potential (think M. C. Escher)…

I just don't think you brought it off…

Sorry… ne_nau.gif

- Wil

PS: I'm curious as to where this was taken
    (BTW Welcome to DGPF thumb.gif )
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    JerryBartonJerryBarton Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2010
    Thanks, Will. Just starting to develop more photography skills.

The shot is in the Museum of Natural History in Vienna, Austria. Built in the 1870s to house the imperial collections and allow scientific study of them, the building has marble floors and stairways, double-height floors with impressive staircases, infinite numbers of decorations as well as about 25 million objects.

This shot is taken hand-held 400 ISO from a small balcony high up in the dome looking down (well, the camera was looking down - my eyes were closed). Total height from camera to bottom floor is about 30m (100 ft) roughly.

Every Wednesday, the museum sponsors a fancy dinner - which was under preparation.

I know this shot didn't really work - I'll have to go back again when I have more courage and try another few shots. The post processing frenzy results from the less-than-optimal source picture - although the result is beginning to look like a tilt/shift work.

Cheers, Jery
  • Options
    sunflowerstudiosunflowerstudio Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2010
    Wow. Striking picture. Even after the explanation, I still think it looks like a miniature model.

But, I think you're right that the window theme doesn't come through.