Options

More from Bents

invisibleinvisible Registered Users Posts: 440 Major grins
edited January 29, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
Here are some more photos from Bents, the ghost town in Saskatchewan that I visited back in October.

1. One of the grain elevator
p563250992-4.jpg

2. Another one of the elevator (not sure which of these two I like best)
p692284954-4.jpg

3. The view from the general store
p63153116-4.jpg

4. The fashion corner in the general store
p484593541-4.jpg

Thanks for looking...
I steal the soul of inanimate things.

Federico
Website / Flickr

Comments

• Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2010
    Love the series. We could use some close-ups of the old Farm equipment if you have some! :D Very popular around here!thumb.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2010
    DonRicklin wrote:
    We could use some close-ups of the old Farm equipment if you have some! :D Very popular around here!thumb.gif
    Laughing.gif, I've noticed that :D but unfortunately I don't have close-ups...

Thanks Don for your kind words!

Federico
    Website / Flickr
  • Options
    Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2010
    The second grain elevator (Saskatchewan Pool!!) really conveys a sense of space and proportion, while the first captures the texture of the building itself. They work well together. The shoe looks especially lonely. Excellent work.
  • Options
    Dancer72Dancer72 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited January 28, 2010
    Terrific series! I especially like #1 & #2. It's unfortuante that you couldn't get any close ups of the farm equipment; I would have loved to see those shots with the rust punched way up!

Great work. Thanks for sharing!
    Caroline
    Caroline Brogen

Member: PPA, PPAM
    Gallery: http://photos.brogen.com/Public-Gallery/Carolines-Gallery
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2010
    Nice series Federico thumb.gif
    Randy
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2010
    Hi Federico --

Your series of photos are wonderful. I just love old grain elevators ... and finding ones made out of wood is a "find" indeed. Perspective is great!!! Pool..that's a different word I've not seen on elevators. Does it mean that it's were everyone "pools" their grain for pickup?

I'm getting ready to re-new my passport so when I head up Hwy. 81 I can just keep going into Canada :D
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2010
    Dancer72 wrote:
    Terrific series! I especially like #1 & #2. It's unfortuante that you couldn't get any close ups of the farm equipment; I would have loved to see those shots with the rust punched way up!

Great work. Thanks for sharing!
    Caroline
    Thank you, Caroline! I didn't do close-ups, but here's a tighter crop for the farm-equipment fans of the forum:

BentsII2009.jpg

Federico
    Website / Flickr
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2010
    rwells wrote:
    Nice series Federico thumb.gif
    Thank you, Randy :)
    Dogdots wrote:
    Hi Federico --

Your series of photos are wonderful. I just love old grain elevators ... and finding ones made out of wood is a "find" indeed. Perspective is great!!! Pool..that's a different word I've not seen on elevators. Does it mean that it's were everyone "pools" their grain for pickup?

I'm getting ready to re-new my passport so when I head up Hwy. 81 I can just keep going into Canada :D
    Thanks, Mary, for the kind words! There's still quite a few grain elevators made of wood around here. I'd say more in Saskatchewan than in Manitoba, but plenty in both provinces, although somewhat scattered. I've seen the word "pool" in many elevators; I don't know what it refers to, but you might be onto something with your theory.

Where does Hwy. 81 take you? Saskatchewan?

Federico
    Website / Flickr
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2010
    invisible wrote:
    Thank you, Caroline! I didn't do close-ups, but here's a tighter crop for the farm-equipment fans of the forum:
    Thanks. That works for me, lacking a reshoot.thumb.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2010
    invisible wrote:
    Where does Hwy. 81 take you? Saskatchewan?

No...unfortunately it will take me into Manitoba. I would enter Canada on highway 75. If everything goes ok I will be in western ND in July..that will have me entering Saskatchewan from ND. I'm crossing my fingers that everything works out as I really want to get up into that area.
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2010
    Dogdots wrote:
    No...unfortunately it will take me into Manitoba. I would enter Canada on highway 75. If everything goes ok I will be in western ND in July..that will have me entering Saskatchewan from ND. I'm crossing my fingers that everything works out as I really want to get up into that area.

Well, drop me a line when you're travelling north. Even though I'm in Manitoba, I might join you to shoot abandoned houses and barns (depending on what part of Saskatchewan you decide to visit, that is).

Federico
    Website / Flickr
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2010
    invisible wrote:
    Well, drop me a line when you're travelling north. Even though I'm in Manitoba, I might join you to shoot abandoned houses and barns (depending on what part of Saskatchewan you decide to visit, that is).

I will :D
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2010
    Really nice capture of this neat ol grain silo and surroundings.
    While I like image 2, I'd have to pick #1 over it. Pulling
    in the tractor for higher detail is a pretty nice result also.
    Like that too. :D
    Michael