good PAS

staypuffinpcstaypuffinpc Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
edited February 2, 2010 in Cameras
I'm looking for a good PAS for my wife. We'll be traveling later on this year and she needs something smaller than the XSI I carry around. I'm looking at a budget of around $200. I'm tempted to get something like the Panasonic DMC-TZ5 b/c I'd love something with a better lens, though I've read there's a bit of shutter lag (which we've had on another camera before and ends up being REALLY annoying). So, does anyone know of a good PAS with a fast lens?
{something witty here}

Comments

• EkajEkaj Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2010
    Every point and shoot will have shutter lag ( that I know of)
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2010
    I'm looking for a good PAS for my wife. We'll be traveling later on this year and she needs something smaller than the XSI I carry around. I'm looking at a budget of around $200. I'm tempted to get something like the Panasonic DMC-TZ5 b/c I'd love something with a better lens, though I've read there's a bit of shutter lag (which we've had on another camera before and ends up being REALLY annoying). So, does anyone know of a good PAS with a fast lens?

I have just explored P & S as a carry-around alternative to my DSLR and just received it yesterday. The one I settled on was the Panasonic Lumix LX3, which costs $400 (so out of price range... BUT--). It was the lens and design that sold me on spending extra.

It is one of the best for low light shooting with an f2.0 Leica lens that goes only (!) from 24 - 60 mm. But 24 is wider than most. On playing with it today (and immediately after your post, there is no significant shutter lag (!). I push it, it takes the shot immediately. It is supposed to take excellent JPeg, but also shoots RAW.

I do recommend finding a store whereby your wife and you can actually handle the cameras once you narrow it down. I eliminated a number from my list from doing this and made the final decision on this after a few seconds of handling this one.

Good luck on your search.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2010
    rainbow wrote:
    I have just explored P & S as a carry-around alternative to my DSLR and just received it yesterday. The one I settled on was the Panasonic Lumix LX3, which costs $400 (so out of price range... BUT--). It was the lens and design that sold me on spending extra.

It is one of the best for low light shooting with an f2.0 Leica lens that goes only (!) from 24 - 60 mm. But 24 is wider than most. On playing with it today (and immediately after your post, there is no significant shutter lag (!). I push it, it takes the shot immediately. It is supposed to take excellent JPeg, but also shoots RAW.

I do recommend finding a store whereby your wife and you can actually handle the cameras once you narrow it down. I eliminated a number from my list from doing this and made the final decision on this after a few seconds of handling this one.

Good luck on your search.

there is shutter lag..just not as bad as most p&s. The only non dslr that has near slr shutter response is the GF1 as far as I know
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2010
    I have the G9 and am quite happy with it. It's reported to have a shutter lag of 1/10 sec (see here).

OK, that camera is a couple (or more) years old, but the newer G11 is reported (same site, different page) to have the same shutter lag. The problem? It's priced at $460.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,067 moderator
    edited January 29, 2010
    There is a fairly nice table of sortable shutter-lag comparisons here:

http://www.cameras.co.uk/html/shutter-lag-comparisons.cfm?sort=Camera

While it is not as complete or current as I would like, it is sufficient to draw some conclusions and it is based on their own tests which take into account the multiple variables which amount to total camera lag. The table also links to their camera review pages and there they detail camera startup and flash recycle speeds too, all of which can make a camera sluggish.

Still, camera lag times can vary by mode and available light, so testing can get very frustrating.

Imaging Resource has the most comprehensive testing I've found, but they don't have a single chart reference. (The results are in the "Performance" section for each camera.)

http://www.imaging-resource.com/DIGCAM01.HTM

If you want a $200 P&S you will necessarily need to accept compromise in performance and some image quality metrics. I am fairly happy with my Fujifilm F30 and F40fd and I am currently looking at the F70EXR and it is close to the $200 price stipulated.

The F70EXR has a lot going for it and I suspect I would like it a lot. It has a relatively wide angle capability (27mm equivalent) and a 10x zoom range with chip based IS. It also has the ability to choose extended dynamic range or low light capabilities (but not at the same time) with a reduction in capture resolution. You can also combine several exposures in-camera to reduce random noise (image stacking for noise reduction.)

It even has a "bokeh" mode where it takes several images at different focus settings and then masks the subject to provide better separation from the background. (Some of these modes really require a tripod.)

People are reporting acceptable lag for social situations.

The video mode is a sad VGA (640 x 480, 30fps) but the zoom works during acquisition (which is fairly rare today).

We have one DGrinner (jonboy61) who has used the camera:

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1293544&postcount=18

DPReview has a samples gallery:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0909/09092101fujif70exrgallery.asp
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • staypuffinpcstaypuffinpc Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited February 2, 2010
    Thank you!
    Ziggy and others. Thanks so much for your replies. I must've missed the update email since the last reply and didn't see your comments until I just came back. I'll check out these reviews and let you know which camera I ultimately go with. Then I'll come back and post some pics.
    {something witty here}