Options

Door and Window -- #43

ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
edited January 29, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
This is shot from the entrance to one of our lighthouses. Any comments on whether or not it works. Thanks!

1. The Entrance to Great Point
775466046_nUYwd-XL.jpg

2. The Door to Great Point
775482656_DhwRP-XL.jpg

3. The Window to Great Point
775551584_TVCdw-XL.jpg
uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
ackdoc.com

Comments

• Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2010
    #3 works for me
  • Options
    SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2010
    3 is good, but fix the line around the window frame where you darkened it.
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2010
    Yikes. You're right. I fixed it (I think) above. I think I like #3 too. I originally thought #1 would be the best, but #3 is growing on me as I work it.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    Aspecto5Aspecto5 Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2010
    #3 for me too. My eyes directly go to the black stuff above the window though.
    Canon 7D Shooter

Nelson Lehner
    Dreamin' of a resolution!:D
  • Options
    MrsCueMrsCue Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2010
    Love the colours in 3
    Canon EOS 40D, Canon EOS 350D, 50mm 1.8 MKII prime lens, 17-40mm f/4 L lens, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS lens, 430 EX speedlite, Tungsten Continuous studio light, Pocket Wizards, Gary Fong Lightsphere, Stofen Omni bounce diffuser, 5in1 reflector

• Options
    SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2010
    :D Just noticed the mystery head in #2
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2010
    That's my head. Couldn't block the window, that made everything asymmetrical, so I stuck my head in it.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2010
    I like #3. Can you clone out the black stuff above the window?

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2010
    #3 is very nice... I would crop the top and left to get rid of the black stuff above the window and the sun beam on the left or reshoot tighter. You could also try cloning out those 2 distractions...

Winston
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2010
    #3 is a winner in my book. Agree with the others about minimizing that black gunk over the window frame.
  • Options
    DeeCajunDeeCajun Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2010
    #3, Love the view.., I like the gunk
  • Options
    KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2010
    I like the concept of #3 but am going to differ with everyone on getting rid of the stuff over the window. Looking at #1, the "black gunk" is actually a chipped area of the concrete. I was going to suggest going back, if possible, and reshooting at at different time of day so that the patch of sunlight is not in the picture. Also, try brightening the interior without over exposing the scene in the window. Maybe a pseudo-HDR, without overdoing it. This way you might actually be able to use that chipped area to your advantage. Either way, I like to potential that this location has for you. Good luck!
    — Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2010
    Thanks for the replies. I'm glad that a few of you have come out in defense of the black gunk. I kinda like the black gunk. I also like the sun on the wall, for this challenge, but now I realize that it is because I know that the sun shape on the wall is the sun coming through an adjacent door, which means I indirectly have a door and a window in the pic. But, of course, if you weren't there, you wouldn't know this is from a door, right?

I have a slightly HDR'ed version of this pic that brought out a lot of detail in the white brick wall, and more detail in the chipped paint as well (actually showing a piece of granite underneath). I originally liked the contrast between the darker inside and the bright sunny outside. But I will go and play with that some more. Thanks for all the insight!
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    flametalflametal Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 29, 2010
    ghinson wrote:
    Thanks for the replies. I'm glad that a few of you have come out in defense of the black gunk. I kinda like the black gunk. I also like the sun on the wall, for this challenge, but now I realize that it is because I know that the sun shape on the wall is the sun coming through an adjacent door, which means I indirectly have a door and a window in the pic. But, of course, if you weren't there, you wouldn't know this is from a door, right?

#3, keep the black. The door's presence is a nice touch.
  • Options
    JerryBartonJerryBarton Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2010
    #3 is really nice - I might be tempted to crop to eliminate the left half - centering the window. Great depth in the view through the window. [being a left-brain person, I like centered pix - hoping to work on that right brain but not going well so far]