Options

Summer Swim Team

SharkBytesSharkBytes Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited January 29, 2010 in Sports
Hello,

Thought I would quit lurking and try to post some pictures for C&C. I am not a pro, would barely call myself an amatuer, as I am still trying figure out all the controls on my camera. I am taking pictures for my kids' swim team, and we are experimenting with selling the pictures to the parents as a fundraiser. Any suggestions, feedback to improve the quality of the pictures (and the photographer) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Kevin

1.[IMG][/img]590301507_rchTS-L-4.jpg

2.[IMG][/img]594566206_KELbj-M-1.jpg
3.[IMG]http://[/img]612832046_WxcAf-M.jpg

4.[IMG][/img]612831345_fE6YK-M.jpg

5.[IMG][/img]660351543_erdQA-M.jpg

6.[IMG]http://[/img]580960174_H2rZy-M-6.jpg
Kevin

Comments

• Options
    edited January 28, 2010
    Lack of comments?
    Well, I see people are looking but no comments?headscratch.gif Either these pictures are great and people are in stunned silence, or they suck so bad no one wants to say.ne_nau.gif Please feel free to C&C, good or bad. I happen to like these pictures, but I'm not sure anyone else feels the same way. I shot these with a Nikon D300, and used Lightroom to do a little adjust on exposure and color. I don't do this for a living, just doing it because my kids are on the swim team. Look forward to hearing from other dgrinners out there.

Kevin
    Kevin
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2010
    My son is on a swim team as well, and I look forward to taking some pics again this summer. During the winter, I've not tried much as it's so dark inside, and I'm usually busy timing.

I like your first three shots especially. They are bright, clear and show some face and/or action, although in #3 it's not completely clear what's going on (breaststroke or fly?). I also like how they are lined up in the last one. (The color seems a teeny bit "off" in that one...like it needs a touch more black and a touch more warmth...maybe?) The butterfly shot is an "almost" for me. I'm sure the parent will know their own child and may want the shot, but the lack of a face makes it less engaging to me as an outside viewer. My fave is #2. thumb.gif

When posting multiple shots, it's helpful to viewers/commenters if they are numbered.

I hope you get lots of sales! The usual point and shoot can't get close enough to take decent swimming photos, so I would think parents would appreciate yours.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2010
    Elaine,

Thanks for the response. In #3 (took your advice and edited numbers in the post) I think he was just coming out of the water at the end of the race, and I thought it was a cool effect. Kind of like a coating of ice..... Interesting that you mention that about the color. I'm going to go back and make the adjustment you said and see how it looks. I don't have a high end screen, but I did calibrate it and the picture does look a little too blue. Funny thing about the butterfly shot, it is good swim technique, but lousy for getting a face shot. #2 is great for a face shot, but her hands are too high out of the water for the breaststroke. What did you think of #1? That seems to be a pretty popular shot on the team, and I think she looks like a model. I hope we get lots of sales too. Still experimenting with pricing, since this is a neighborhood swim team we'll probably just price pictures $2 over cost (also team is paying for smugmug site). Thanks for the reply, and look forward to seeing your swim photos this summer.

Kevin
    Kevin
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2010
    shots 1 & 2 are good.

Shot 3 is very akward looking - odd angle and you cant really tell what is going on. Shots 4 & 5 are sharp but you need to capture faces better. Also on #4 try not to crop off the hand if you can avoid it.

All in all, sharpness and color is good - you just need to work on your timing a bit.
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2010
    John,

thanks for the critque. I threw #3 in because I thought it had a neat look with the water on the swimmer- my attempt at an "artsy" shot. You are correct about timing; went back and looked at the picture sequence and I never got her hand in any of the shots. I never thought it would be that tough to take pictures of kids swimming!:D
    Kevin
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2010
    better face shot
    Here's a better face shot. Ironically, I have been told that the more face I see, the less correct the breathing is on the butterfly stroke............

603707082_e3H4e-M.jpg
    Kevin
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2010
    I'm loving the cap on that last one...talk about a face! :D I would think they need to build up some core strength before they get that technique down perfectly. My son is 8 (and doing quite well!) but his body will only get stronger. I've never actually heard that about butterfly. You can find many photos of Michael Phelps doing the butterfly where his face is very clear. headscratch.gif Maybe it's just a timing thing. Anyway, I like shooting the butterfly. It's so dramatic!

Here's one from last summer when my guy was still 7. He's much better now!

615358085_57QXA-S.jpg
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2010
    SharkBytes wrote:
    Ironically, I have been told that the more face I see, the less correct the breathing is on the butterfly stroke............
    Maybe someone should tell Michael Phelps he doesn't know what he's doing..mwink.gif
    http://img09.beijing2008.cn/20080813/Img214536031.jpg
    http://a.abcnews.com/images/Sports/ap_phelps_butterfly_090729_mn.jpg
    http://cdnet.myxer.com/tn/c/547808/big/?t=20080708183738
    http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2007/03/28/michaelphelps_wideweb__470x270,0.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2010
  • Options
    CalcamCalcam Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 29, 2010
    Michael
    Elaine wrote:
    Exactly what I was thinking.
    One of the biggest problems with kids swimming butterfly is that they come to far out of the water , Michael always keeps his chin on the water . A tip that might help your kids with the stroke .

Rgds Calcam
    http://www.selbyphotography.com/Sports/swimming/10143255_uxnrh#697534375_4WALt
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2010
    Butterfly
    johng wrote:

I think I'll wait until I get my 15 gold medals (should be coming from ebay anytime now) before I tell Micheal Phelps!:D Nice picture of your son, Elaine. Looks like he's got the butterfly arm down. My son still has to work on syncing his kicks and armstroke.
    Kevin
  • Options
    flipperpicsflipperpics Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited January 29, 2010
    Nice shots. The colors are very vibrant - sure beats taking indoor swim pics...in the middle of winter.... in Iowa.... :)
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2010
    Nice shots. The colors are very vibrant - sure beats taking indoor swim pics...in the middle of winter.... in Iowa.... :)

Thanks. I have to confess that I played with the colors abit during PP. I have been learning to use Lightroom 2, and shooting in RAW. Amazing what you can do in PP. My kids' team is indoors now, as it is 20 degrees outside, so I feel your pain. In the winter I pull out the video camera, and take underwater video of the swimmers. Use this so the coaches can show the kids what their strokes look like underwater.
    Kevin