Looking for one lens that can do several things.

XLR8me!XLR8me! Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited January 31, 2010 in Cameras
Hello. I am new to DGrin. I have an EOS 7D body. I am wondering if there is one lens that will fulfill several purposes for me. It would be very helpful to get 3 different price ranges as well. Economical/Moderate/High End.

*What I intend to shoot - Portrait photography, low light photography, nature/landscapes and action shots. I also will probably crop my pics quite a bit as I usually see pictures within pics.

I know it may be a bit unrealistic to think that maybe there is such a lens -- but you never know and it couldn't hurt to ask :D

Thank you,
XLR8me!

Comments

• jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2010
    XLR8me! wrote:
    Hello. I am new to DGrin. I have an EOS 7D body. I am wondering if there is one lens that will fulfill several purposes for me. It would be very helpful to get 3 different price ranges as well. Economical/Moderate/High End.

*What I intend to shoot - Portrait photography, low light photography, nature/landscapes and action shots. I also will probably crop my pics quite a bit as I usually see pictures within pics.

I know it may be a bit unrealistic to think that maybe there is such a lens -- but you never know and it couldn't hurt to ask :D

Thank you,
    XLR8me!
    Good Evening XLR8me,
    In the words of Ziggy 53, welcome to the digital grin thumb.gif For portrait and low light photography, you want a fast lens, something like a 50 1.8 ($75) or an 85 1.8 ($340), whereas for landscapes, you want a wide angle lens, like a 20 2.8 ($350), or there abouts, stopped down to around f/11 or so. Since the 7D is a crop camera, the Tamron 17-50 2.8 ($325) might be what you're looking for. The Canon 17-55 IS ($800) is also very good, but about 2 1/2 x the cost of the Tamron. I'm sure you'll get a few other recommendations.
    Have a good evening :D
    Jim...
  • LKN DaveLKN Dave Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited January 30, 2010
    For landscapes, I can't recommend the Canon 10-22 EF-s. It is a great wide lens on a Canon Crop sensor. I know other on here have had great luck the the Sigma equivalents.
  • jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2010
    LKN Dave wrote:
    For landscapes, I can't recommend the Canon 10-22 EF-s. It is a great wide lens on a Canon Crop sensor. I know other on here have had great luck the the Sigma equivalents.

Good Evening LKN Dave,
    I use a modified 10-22mm on my 5D. The view is unbelievable mwink.gif
    Have a good evening thumb.gif
    Jim...
  • sparky675sparky675 Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited January 30, 2010
    XLR8me! wrote:

Thank you,
    XLR8me!

i had to go with the 24-105, price is high but so much better than the 28-135, has IS and great versatility
  • chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2010
    XLR8me! wrote:

Thank you,
    XLR8me!

Actually Canon have sorted this out for you, at least regarding pricing.

The kit lens is a good allrounder and economic.
    The best and most expensive are the L series - the 24-105L looks like a dream although I never used it
    If you want something in between I can recommend the f2.8 17-55 which is great in low light and takes all the photos you talk about - in principle. There is plenty of other choice but all require you making some choices.

How important is low-light and in which circumstances? Can you manage with a flash?
    For action photos it is nice to have some telephoto capability. Will you use a tripod or shoot from the hand?
    Do you want a wide angle for your landscapes? After all any lens can in principle take a landscape.
    Same with portraits - I prefer a 100mm macro lens but I also use 50mm.

To get really good advice you could sharpen your budget possibilities and the kind of photos that are really top of your list, plus your style.