Options

NSFW: My second studio shoot

StevenSzaboStevenSzabo Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
edited January 31, 2010 in Go Figure
Second studio shoot I've ever done, so be gentle...just looking for some feedback...

I find my biggest issue is with trying to pose people, anyone have any good recommendations for reading material or otherwise?

So here's the image, a friend of mine, lookin pretty good for 42...

771387994_m667H-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2010
    Second studio shoot I've ever done, so be gentle...just looking for some feedback...

I find my biggest issue is with trying to pose people, anyone have any good recommendations for reading material or otherwise?

So here's the image, a friend of mine, lookin pretty good for 42...

771387994_m667H-XL.jpg
    Nice lookin 42 y/o! And a great place to start.

As you might have guessed there are a multitude of places to get ideas about posing...and yet, that won't deliver a pose for you.

Nothing beats experience. Meaning, if you get a model that actually has worked the camera before, you'll be amazed at how easy it is, from your perspective.

Otherwise, what I do is tear from magazines. I collect looks/lighting and pose's I want to try. When I get my subject in house. I share the stuff with them and even sometimes set it up for them to look at and have them attempt to mimic the pose as pictured. I also use mirrors so they can see themselves and give me a look.

Posing folks can be a bag of worms, especially if they are not prepared and if they have no experience.

Not sure what you wanted in the way of feedback on your shoot/Model, But I will say this. Though your Model is a lovely 42 y/o, you can make her look sooooo very much better by doing what you are concerned about: posing; her differently.

cheers,
    tom wise
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2010
    As Tom said, look at the magazines and keep (mental or written) notes about what works and what doesn't. I did it religiously for about a year, analyzing pose, lighting, direction of the shoot, direction of subjects' look, vantage point, etc. Eventually you'll come to certain "rules of thumbs", "staples" and other things that would serve as a base for your own solutions.
    Back at the image: it leaves me cold. ne_nau.gif
    There is no communication going on, no engagement is happening.
    Lighting and coloring scheme are OK (albeit her lipstick color doesn't match anything else), but lighting alone doesn't make the image. rolleyes1.gif
    HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    I'd like to see this in B&W, the colors don't work at all for me. Hot pink, purple and blue, then coral lipstick, too much going on.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    VayCayMom wrote:
    I'd like to see this in B&W, the colors don't work at all for me. Hot pink, purple and blue, then coral lipstick, too much going on.

I think the pink and purple go well with her skin and hair. The lipstick just seems to me to be a more muted version of the pink, intended to be a bit less glaring than a matching hot pink would be; so I like it. The dark teal background goes well with her hair but I'm not sure it goes so well with the purple.

I think the pose would be a little better if we could see more of her face and she was looking at the camera, but it would be a rather different effect from what apparently was intended here.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Options
    Joe DukovacJoe Dukovac Registered Users Posts: 213 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    One of the resources that I am finding pretty useful, believe it or not, is the Victoria Secret's catalogue. I usually look through it, choose a few poses that I like, maybe do a little variation on them as I go along and see how they turn out. Really it's all about experimentation. Plus, everyone has their own personal tastes and likes and dislikes.

I think that ultimately the success of your photos is dependent on how the client, or subject likes it, as well as yourself. That's my two cents, and I'm sticking to it! :D

Thanks,
    Joe
    Joe
    North View Studio
    http://www.zoradphotography.com
    Montreal, Canada
  • Options
    chest2tankchest2tank Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited January 29, 2010
    VayCayMom wrote:

exactly my thoughts! The shot looks good except for that and the framing about her elbow. Ya just snipped it a bit too close for my likings. Good start!
  • Options
    Matt336Matt336 Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2010
    Watch the elbow and fingers. Otherwise it's a pretty good shot.