Options

Glacier NP

chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
edited January 31, 2010 in Location, Location, Location!
Hi I'm thinking going to glacier national Park with my wife and daughter for a few days possibly in lateMay. More from a family vacation point of view than photography point of view, I'm wondering if anyone has advice on how long is ideal to stay and if this is a good time of year to go? I'm thinking that maybe rent ing an RV? Of course I will get my photography in, but in planning the trip I'm thinking more along the lines of keeping the family happy too. I know a lot of photogs frequent this place so I'm hoping someone could give me a little bit of insight. Thanks so much.

Comments

• Options
    CayuseCayuse Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited January 22, 2010
    That would be pretty early. The Going To The Sun Highway is often still closed in June.
  • Options
    pwppwp Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2010
    I was just going to post the same comment. If you do decide May is the time, be prepared for cold temps, snow, ice, etc. We went in July last year and still needed winter gear while out and about off GTTS. Very pretty, but it might still be a bit early to enjoy the entire park and catch the runoff from the melt that can create beautiful impromptu waterfalls. If it were up to me, I'd schedule for June or July at the earliest.
    ~Ang~
    My Site
    Proud Photog for The Littlest Heroes Project and Operation: LoveReunited
    Lovin' my Canon 5D Mark II!
  • Options
    scootacscootac Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited January 31, 2010
    If you get to Logan Pass, hike the trail west from the visitors center. Might be 1-2 miles out to a view of a lake down below you surrounded by the mountains, might be called Circle Lake, not sure about that. Large RV's not allowed on Going to the Sun, not sure of limit. Late June to be sure of going whole way to the top. LOTS of opportunities for sure. Plan on spending all day to go thru.
    The world is a book, those that do not travel, read but one page.