Options

Question for you seasoned pros!

mtmcelvymtmcelvy Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
edited February 1, 2010 in Weddings
I have a bride who's fiance owns a vacation home locally and they are haveing the wedding in the resort where the house is located. The wedding planner at the resort is telling the B&G they have to use their photog and not me. Is this normal practice for facilities that host/plan weddings? They also qouted them a ridiculus amount for the photog service. I see where the resort is coming from.." These people have money, let's get some of it".. It's just a little frustrating. The money isn't really the reason I wanted to do the wedding to begin with, I like the money, but the bride is a jaw dropper and would have been great portfolio material!! K I'm done venting!!

Mike

Comments

• Options
    SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2010
    The resort may have a contract with the photographer saying that they are the sole photog for events held there.

If you shoot it may violate the contract and the wedding may be canceled.

Depends on what the B&G signed when they made the reservation.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2010
    I am not sure of the legalities here, but I am sure of one thing, the bride and groom can negotiate with the resort and have the option of simply saying "so sorry we will have to have the wedding elsewhere." Picture $$$ flying out the window.

The wedding photography isn't about the money for the couple but about having a photographer of their choice with a style and personality that they like. Even if the resort's photographer is very good he / she may not have a style the couple likes.

If the couple simply goes along with the resort then I really hope the couple likes the cake, food, flowers, and anything else the resort has an exclusive on.

Sam
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2010
    Yup, happens all the time. The more exclusive the venue is, the more you'll run into troubles like this. I've even come across venues that if the bride and groom don't go with the venue's photographer, they have to pay a huge fee (to the venue / *besides* the costs for the photographer) ... Seems ridiculous, but there are places that can do that, and still have a huge list of people begging them to let them get married there ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2010
    Yep, it just comes down to which is more important to the couple- you as their photographer, or getting married at that venue. The bride could threaten to take her business elsewhere if they don't allow you to photograph, and the venue may or may not bend. Hopefully that other photographer does AMAZING work, cuz otherwise I'd take my business elsewhere every day of the year.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2010
    I read the first two sentences of your vent and knew where you were going with it.

I live about 30/45 minutes away from a southern town known for it's plantation homes (no names to protect the innocent) and some of the 200+ year old plantation homes have a list of caterers/photographers/planners/etc that they contract with.

I looked on one plantation home's site (again, no names, and I don't remember which one it was anyway) at some of the "gorgeous" pictures from their contract photog. Note the quotes. It was so awful I nearly cried. Beautiful huge 300/400+ year old Oak trees, big white columns, fountain, you name it - and the wedding photos looks like point and shoot snapshots.

It seems to be quite popular amongst the "must have" locations. I disagree with the idea, but that doesn't mean they can't do it.

Granted, these are the same plantation homes that charge upwards of $200 just to shoot on their property. Have a Senior that wants a "pretty" plantation home? Get ready to fork over some cash. THAT I disagree with. I'm ok with an admissions fee to the grounds, but a fee to use their land for professional pictures? No thanks, I'll go elsewhere.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2010
    Yep...heard this all before, cept for one part..."owns a vacation home locally and they are haveing the wedding in the resort where the house is located" Sounds like its time to talk with the property manager~:D
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2010
    Thanks for all the input everyone.. It turns out it is a contract thing. The photog there did over 900 weddings last year(staff of 4 photogs). The fiance, homeowner, is rather peeved with the whole situation. He still wants me to come and get some photos of the bride getting ready cause she refuses to let the other photogs in during that.. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out. He's good ole southern boy with deep pockets and is used to getting his way..
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2010
    mtmcelvy wrote:
    Thanks for all the input everyone.. It turns out it is a contract thing. The photog there did over 900 weddings last year(staff of 4 photogs).

900 weddings + 4 photographers???? eek7.gif That would be 225 weddings per photographer / year .... uhm .... sounds like they're some busy photographers, do they get some free housing with that?? eek7.gif
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2010
    Agnieszka wrote:
    900 weddings + 4 photographers???? eek7.gif That would be 225 weddings per photographer / year .... uhm .... sounds like they're some busy photographers, do they get some free housing with that?? eek7.gif

That is CRAZY! How could you survive doing that? Unless perhaps they hire out the editing, or don't edit at all. That is almost 19 weddings per month per person!eek7.gif We can insert the quality/quantity debate now.
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2010
    That is CRAZY! How could you survive doing that? Unless perhaps they hire out the editing, or don't edit at all. That is almost 19 weddings per month per person!eek7.gif We can insert the quality/quantity debate now.

Here's your photos...Next..heres your photos....next...here's your photos...next...headscratch.gif
    tom wise
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2010
    900 weddings in one year for 4 photographers...that doesn't sound correct. Something is missing here. How many wedding sites are at the venue? Physically, who could keep up this pace.

Why don't you give us the link to their wedding venue website. I'm sure they must have one.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2010
    Ed911 wrote:
    900 weddings in one year for 4 photographers...that doesn't sound correct. Something is missing here. How many wedding sites are at the venue? Physically, who could keep up this pace.

Why don't you give us the link to their wedding venue website. I'm sure they must have one.

Yeah, there are like 10 photographers missing - at least!! rolleyes1.gif

I'd shoot myself if I'd have that many weddings, as much as I love my job headscratch.gif. I'm sure they do like 4 weddings a way on the weekends (well, maybe Friday - Sunday) ... Or maybe they really just gave you some wrong numbers here. The turn around sounds a bit inhumane to me.
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2010
    I'd hate to have to shoot that many weddings per year, but I would probably be extremely blessed if I got that many inquiries let alone actual shooting. It becomes like office work having to shoot that many weddings per year. TPS reports anyone?

Are those photographers single, robots, and detached from their families?
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    cdonovancdonovan Registered Users Posts: 724 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2010
    That works out to be just about 4 weddings per photographer per week.
    No doubt the editing is contracted out, and other staff work on packaging, bookings, marketing, etc. It's like the Walmart of photography.

I'd love to see the quality/quantity, and creativity of photos being produced!headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2010
    I did get a little more info other then that from the bride. It's not one studio with 4 photogs but 4 studios, so makes a little more since as far as the number of weddings is concerned! The website has little info, more of a "contacts us for info" set up. The resort is Carillon Beach.
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2010
    Photog for venue: blog ; site
    tom wise
  • Options
    marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2010
    I loved looking at their blog - definitely different photographic styles going on.
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2010
    angevin1 wrote:
    Photog for venue: blog ; site

lol...you had much better luck then I did looking for info!! They seem to do good work!! Thats a plus, for my "one that got away"!