Maybe Not!

gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
edited June 1, 2004 in Holy Macro
The assignments have got me out over the last few week, lunchtimes, evenings and weekends. Here are a few shots that have been inapropriate(spelling?)/before/after/bettered. Comments whether they be good, bad or indifferent would be ....??? :D
4247493-M.jpg
4247490-M.jpg
4247481-M.jpg
4246631-M.jpg
4261926-M.jpg
4193626-M.jpg
3799634-M.jpg
3799635-M.jpg
3799628-M.jpg
3943912-M.jpg
4175832-M.jpg
3943845-M.jpg

Comments

• SeamaidenSeamaiden Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2004
    Boy, you laid a lot on us there, mate. The swans I love, though might like to see cropped a little tighter. The canoes, leave as is! There are a few that might have more visual impact if the subject took up more of the frame (? - I have no idea if I'm using the right terminology here, I'm going with my guts on this, so please forgive).

Have you tried playing with cropping or blurring them? For instance, the first piccie, make the brick primary, let that dark background fade away, or cut it out entirely. I dunno, you're definitely better than me!
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • ReeferBenReeferBen Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited May 19, 2004
    7 and 10 are amazing, I love them.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited May 20, 2004
    7 and 12 do it for me. Not sure what makes 12 a good one.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2004
    I give 7 a 10 bowdown.gif

Tim
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2004
    On my way there in july grubbs (london)...whats the weather going to be like ?

Like #7 !
  • gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2004
    Sorry I guess I got a bit carried away last night, I was archiving off stuff and just kept adding, hadn't realized I'd put up a dozen! just numbered them to help rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for the repies I'll have a play with cropping and blur tonight.

Humungus, weather?? - flip a coin....
    How long you over for ?
  • damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2004
    Wow...love 1,3,5,7,10. 5 is exceptional...
  • tmshotstmshots Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited May 20, 2004
    The one that seems to come up the most is 7 and though I can't put my finger on it is my favorite.
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2004
    gubbs wrote:

4261926-M.jpg
    This is by far my favorite. An unusual composition that works. I wouldn't crop, but I might try some simple color correction, something I do with all my favorites eventually. LAB curve steepening and sharpening might give it more pop, bringing out the texture of the feathers and the color of the water.

Swans are great subjects!

1724874-M.jpg
    If not now, when?
    edited May 20, 2004
    Seamaiden wrote:
    Have you tried playing with cropping or blurring them? For instance, the first piccie, make the brick primary, let that dark background fade away, or cut it out entirely. <shrug> I dunno, you're definitely better than me!
    Kinda done what you suggested
    original
    4247493-M.jpg
    New
    4398412-M.jpg
    edited May 20, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    This is by far my favorite. An unusual composition that works. I wouldn't crop, but I might try some simple color correction, something I do with all my favorites eventually. LAB curve steepening and sharpening might give it more pop, bringing out the texture of the feathers and the color of the water.

Swans are great subjects!
    Old
    4261926-M.jpg
    New
    4398519-M.jpg

I don't have LAB curve on photimpact (sorry, I don't even know what it is) but I used the "tone curve" and "highlight midtone shadow", everything takes so long on my PC its very frustrating!!
    edited May 20, 2004
    gubbs wrote:

Humungus, weather?? - flip a coin....
    How long you over for ?
    Just a week...Breakfast ...curry. Lunch...curry. Diner...curry Breakfast...curry. etc etc
    edited May 20, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    Just a week...Breakfast ...curry. Lunch...curry. Diner...curry Breakfast...curry. etc etc
    sounds perfect, you been before?
    edited May 20, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    sounds perfect, you been before?
    Nup...tell you what though. Accom is bloody an arm & a leg ! You are looking at 300 pound a night for a non-share bathroom experience.
  • AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2004
    I lean towards #5 and #7
    Gubbs,
    Me working in Internet Explorer Just for You...
    I Love #5 and #7.
    I really like that you pulled in rather close. Close enough thta you can see that the swan are pure white everywhere but on the crown of their heads. The one area that they really can't preen themselves... I might adjust the color a bit in Photoshop though, just to warm it up a bit, as to my eye, on my monitor, it seems a bit blue.

Is really wonderful. Nice composition, perfect as a Black & White image. Really wonderful.

Nice to see your work.

ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
    edited May 23, 2004
    Places to stay and do while in London
    Humungus wrote:
    Nup...tell you what though. Accom is bloody an arm & a leg ! You are looking at 300 pound a night for a non-share bathroom experience.
    Humungus,
    We were over on London two summers ago (Went with my 24 yr old daughter & 11 year old twin sons). If you are interested in self catering, I can send you the info on the place that we stayed for the first 2 weeks we were there. Was really quite nice but very simple, just a short walk from the Underground. Hampton Wick. Really, were we to return, we would choose to stay there again. It was reasonable.
    Also, while still stateside, consider ordering the London Pass, will save you a bundle! Let me know if you want some info... We stayed in Europe 10.5 weeks that summer 2002.
    ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
    edited May 24, 2004
    I liked this image well enough to try to improve it a little. This turned out to be hard; it's a good image aw shot.

Here is my attempt. Is it better? The difference is subtle, you make need to look at the full sized version (the version here is a link.) I used some blending to bring up the detail in the feathers. What do people think? The process was complex, but if there is interest, I'll explain in detail.

4466184-M.jpg
    If not now, when?
    edited May 24, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    I liked this image well enough to try to improve it a little. This turned out to be hard; it's a good image aw shot.

Here is my attempt. Is it better? The difference is subtle, you make need to look at the full sized version (the version here is a link.) I used some blending to bring up the detail in the feathers. What do people think? The process was complex, but if there is interest, I'll explain in detail.
    Rutt,
    Is your LINK working?
    g
    edited May 24, 2004
    AltPro wrote:
    Rutt,
    Is your LINK working?
    g
    I can see it and it's a smugmug hosted photo.
    If not now, when?
    edited May 24, 2004
    Yep, I can see it too!

Thanks, I prefer yours Rutt, so what have you done?

I realized over the weekend that I've got photoshop elements, it came with my scanner and I never got round to installing it. headscratch.gif I Loaded it up on Saturday night and have since spent hours going back over the Shannanigans. Its so much faster than Photoimpact when it comes to applying effects and adjustments, layers are so much easier to work with with.... I'm impressed
    edited May 24, 2004
    Swans & Photoshop
    I'll start a new thread in the PS section to explain what I did with the swans. It's pretty complex and really belongs there.
    If not now, when?
    edited May 24, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    I can see it and it's a smugmug hosted photo.
    I see the photo Rutt... But I can't get the LINK to the original to work.
    ginette
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2004
    The Best one or The One I like the best
    I am absolutely sure that I like #11 the best! Wouldn't change it a bit.
    I have no clue why everyone else likes 7, so I think "art" must be totally subjective. ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited June 1, 2004
    AltPro wrote:
    Humungus,
    Also, while still stateside, consider ordering the London Pass, will save you a bundle! Let me know if you want some info... We stayed in Europe 10.5 weeks that summer 2002.
    ginette
    Thanks altpro...i have 5* booked for me all the way through...I have my rail passes booked also. I was so surprised at how early you have to book everything in europe

The stateside bit has me though headscratch.gif .........im on the bottom of the world
    edited June 1, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    I was so surprised at how early you have to book everything in europe
    The stateside bit has me though headscratch.gif .........im on the bottom of the world
    Ay, I forgot... You're one o'those lucky fellas down under... I'm envious. Would love to get to to Aussie land and New Zealand one day. Before I am too old to enjoy it!

If there is any info I can offer...
    ginette
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2004
    4, 5 and 10.. the bluebells being my favorite of course....

:D