Options

Canon 50D or Rebel T1i with 18-55mm lens

TatianaTatiana Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited February 8, 2010 in Cameras
Ok. So I am JUST starting out. This will be my very first SLR! I have posted a previous thread and got amazing advice. But this is the final choices. Honestly, it is based on prices and reviews.

I will be using this camera for mostly portraits and of course my own personal hobby photos. I am looking for best value, EASY to learn (but also grow with) and affordability of all the "follow-up goodies" that I will need!

I see that a lot of people like the HD video option of the Rebel, but honestly I can't say that it makes a difference to me.

Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    OzzwaldOzzwald Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2010
    I grew out of my lower end dslr pretty quick, once you get a hold of one i think its easy to figure it out and then you crave more functionality. i dont think there is a huge difference in learning curve, as long as you know the basics any DSLR can be easily used.

i think you should get a used 40D ~700 and a 50mm f/1.8 ~100 New.

50mm i think is a great starter lens. i doubt you'll miss or need a wider frame from the 18-55 especially if you are doing portraits. Lens is great in low light and produces high quality pictures...did i mention its inexpensive...
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2010
    Camera choice ... of the two you have selected, I would go with the 50D, especially as the video holds no interest for you. And, for me, Autofocus Microadjustment was a life changing event/feature - something that's available on the 50D but not on the T1i. This single feature turned my pretty good lenses into eye-bleed sharp tools. Brought a whole new level of joy to my photography ... but I'm a bit more than a little OCD.

But, I think I would recommend against getting a kit lens, especially the 18-55 Mk1. The IS version is said to be better, but ....

Both the T1i and the 50D are 1.6x crop cameras. This means that a full-frame sensor (which is the size of the traditional 35mm film frame) is roughly 1.6x the size of the sensor in the T1i and 50D cameras. On a cropper, I think I would select one of these lenses for portrait work:
    • Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM ($1,060, pricy but it's pretty much best in class)
    • Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD ($450)
    • Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II VC LD - Note the VC, it's like the Canon IS, only called something different ($650)
    • Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD ($460) - this is an older lens, but it has a strong following and for good reason. I've had this lens for years (5 or 6 anyway) and still use it on a regular basis.
    • Of course, for portraits, you can't go too far wrong with a good copy of a prime lens, such as the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 (or even the f/1.8, at $100 for a new one how can you go wrong) or the Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 (this might be a touch long on a cropper, depending on how much room you will have in which to work). Of course primes are a bit less flexible.
    A good, used 50D will run you ~$800 and the lens(es) will run you anywhere from $100 to the $1,060. Don't know what your budget is, but there you go - my opinion FWIW.

Oh, and you will probably soon want to consider something in a flash. Easy choices are the Canon 580 EX II ($450), the Canon 430 EX II ($280), and the Sigma DG 530 ($219). Of these, the Sigma offers pretty much the same performance as the 580. The differences are found, mostly, in the build quality - bit it's a good place to start.
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2010
    Tatiana wrote:
    Ok. So I am JUST starting out. This will be my very first SLR! I have posted a previous thread and got amazing advice. But this is the final choices. Honestly, it is based on prices and reviews.

I will be using this camera for mostly portraits and of course my own personal hobby photos. I am looking for best value, EASY to learn (but also grow with) and affordability of all the "follow-up goodies" that I will need!

I see that a lot of people like the HD video option of the Rebel, but honestly I can't say that it makes a difference to me.

Thank you!

The Canon 50D and T1i/500D both share the same sensor so you will get great image resolution whatever the choice. If you shoot lots of action and sports photos the higher FPS of the 50D may be appealing but if it's mainly for portraits and "hobby" type photos the better choice may be to buy the T1i/500D and use the savings for extra lens, flash, etc. Or wait a few weeks, supposedly Canon is going to announce the new T2i with more features, and the new 60D with more features !
  • Options
    Jekyll & HydeJekyll & Hyde Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2010
    Tatiana wrote:
    Ok. So I am JUST starting out. This will be my very first SLR!
    J: You'd do just fine starting out with the 50D (agree with Scott here), the 18-55 Kit lens (any flavor), and the 50mm f1.8 (for low light).

H: I've owned both the EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 Mk II, and the EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS. Both have performed very well in my estimation.

J: Here's a link to a discussion of the non-IS Kit lens (my post with samples is about half way down (R2D2))...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1029&message=29868284&changemode=1

H: The IS version increases those capabilities somewhat in low light (for static shots).

J: The 50mm f1.8 can produce some wonderful photos (especially portraits), but like the Kit lens, its build is at the low end.

H: But I'd really recommend not investing a lot in lenses until you've shot for a while. You'll have a Much better idea of where to put your money then.

Best of luck,
    J&H
  • Options
    paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2010
    I shoot with a 50D and used to have a 400D (XTi), which is a less capable camera than the T1i. Frankly, you are not going to see a different in image quality between the two cameras, and both are more than enough to start. The main differences are that the 50D has a very different set of controls and is bigger, heavier, and more solid. I personally like the ergonomics and control of the 50D much better, and I don't mind the weight and size. Some people prefer the lighter and smaller rebel because of how it feels--and it saves some money. I suggest you try both--see how they feel in your hands.
    Tatiana wrote:

Thank you!
  • Options
    WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2010
    I own two DSLRs - a Canon Digital Rebel (the original 300D - no bloody X, T, S, or I!), and I recently stepped up to a 50D.

The triple-digit Digital Rebel series (300D-500D) are all great starter SLRs. They're fully-functional SLRs with lots of features aimed at beginners and casual shooters (the video option, smaller size and lighter weight, IR remote shutter release), yet they can do most of what the more expensive cameras can do.

The double-digit series (20D-50D) are superior cameras in almost every way to the trips. They have better low-light performance, expanded ISO, and are tougher and built more solidly. The trade-off is that they're heavier and larger, but being a big guy with big hands, I prefer a bigger camera; the triple-digits are uncomfortable for me to use [note: my 300D is physically the largest of the trips; it's only a hair smaller than the 50D, while the rest of the trips are significantly smaller).

You can't go wrong with either camera, but I recommend that you save some money and go with the Rebel; the money you save can be applied toward lenses and other accessories to outfit yourself with a fully-functional kit. If you find yourself outgrowing the Rebel a year or two down the road, you can upgrade to a double-digit series body. But since you're just starting out, I'd stick with a body that is specifically designed for whose who are just starting out, rather than a better body that's designed for somewhat more serious hobbyists.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    jan1prsjan1prs Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2010
    If all things were equal the best thing to do is go and put one in your hands. See which one fits your hands better. The build quality on the 50d is better and just feels more solid.
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2010
    jan1prs wrote:
    The build quality on the 50d is better and just feels more solid.

right, if you like those big heavy models. if I was buying now I would look at the new T2i / 550D - with all those new features it ought to feel solid !