Options

Wide angle

2»

Comments

• Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2004
    What a great thread. I'm a big fan of curves as well. It can really deepen the richness of a shot. For example. Here are two images:

Before curves, from the camera...
    4211890-M.jpg

After curves and a crop:

3553884-M.jpg

It gives my shots with water a glassy look.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2004
    photojournalism
    Now I understand a lot better why photojournalists like superwide zooms. I went to the Newton MA town hall for the first day of same sex marriage licenses. I brought my 28-70 and my 16-35. I started with the 28-70, but it was hopless pretty quickly. When something is a big event it's just too crowded to use a long lens. You have to get up close, but you want to coverage. On the 10D, the 16-35 is about 25-56 equivalent, but I would have like more. It was pretty much zoomed out all the time.

I haven't color corrected yet, but I did get some good shots. Maybe I'm figuring out the wide angle at last.

4303288-M.jpg

4303701-M.jpg

4303815-M.jpg

4304116-M.jpg

4304742-M.jpg

4304811-M.jpg

4305254-M.jpg

4306276-M.jpg

4306323-M.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2004
    Love this one Rutt.

4304811-M.jpg
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    The difference from the LAB move is a little subtle. But try steeper curves and you'll see that you can make it gets more dramatic very quickly. LAB curves are an incredibly powerful tool and small changes to the curves can have a profound impact on the image.

Rutt, I'm just catching up to your post. Very impressive. I'm afraid that Curves still seem very complicated to me.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2004
    damonff wrote:
    Love this one Rutt.

4304811-M.jpg
    Thanks. I didn't notice it on the first cut, but it was a great minute. The Rabbi had a prayer for "new things" in Hebrew that was great.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    BryanBryan Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2004
    You inspired me to try...
    This is what I got.

Taken with my D-Rebel, 18-55mm, I guess at 18mm it is equilivant to 28mm. Minor saturation and contrast adjustments. I like the results.

4374443-M.jpg

4374441-M.jpg
  • Options
    hutchmanhutchman Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Hutch, I too prefer the horizontal shot. I like the colors in your modified vertical. And after reading many of Andy's posts, I reckon you could take the horizontal shot, which is an excellent starting point, and transform it with a layer or two of colors.... or something. :D Time to dive back into Andy's creative brain and snag some ideas. mwink.gif
    Waxy,

I thought I might take the vertical shot with the color and try a different technique.

I cropped some of the sky out and overcropped to the left of the picture about twice the distance from the original left edge to the begining of the rocks on the shore.

Using the rectangular marque tool, I selected the area from the left side of the photo to the rocks on shore, from the top to the bottom.

I then used the free transform tool and pulled the left edge of the selection to the edge of the overcropped area.

This results in a more horizontal orientation. The down side is I went too far with the stretch, but you can see the effect.

4385556-M.jpg

Hutch
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2004
    The rabbi is the guy on the right?
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2004
    damonff wrote:
    The rabbi is the guy on the right?
    Yes, and he actually performed the marriage later in the day. Here is the story from the local paper:

Maybe it's just ego, but I like my shots better than theirs.
    If not now, when?