Options

#43 First thoughts - c&c please

AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
edited February 7, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
The downside of living & working in a "new town" (pretty much all less than 40 years old) is that there are very few if any decrepit buildings to shoot with an equal lack of really interesting doors or windows.

Here are my 1st attempts at #43 from an early Sunday morning in the centre of town.

Any & all c&c welcome.

#1 Closed
778523454_4gC3x-L-1.jpg

#2 Closed (colour)
778525183_qPMha-L-1.jpg

#3 640 Windows
778521921_rp4ec-L-1.jpg

#4 Reflections of steel & glass
778520434_uRXYy-L-1.jpg

#5 Downtown reflection
778519559_8jFow-L-1.jpg

Thanks for looking
Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams

Comments

• Options
    VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2010
    I like #1 quite a lot... I like it in B&W... Did you try a verticle of just the rotating door? I prefer my doors and windows shot straight on ne_nau.gif the only thing that bothers me is that I can only see part of the store sign... I think I would want to see all of it or nothing...

Winston
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2010
    I like #1 quite a lot... I like it in B&W... Did you try a verticle of just the rotating door? I prefer my doors and windows shot straight on ne_nau.gif the only thing that bothers me is that I can only see part of the store sign... I think I would want to see all of it or nothing...

Winston

15524779-Ti.gif
    #3 is kinda cool too, but the branch is distracting(IMO)
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2010
    I'd like to see the wooden door by itself. It has a lot of character.

I'm not sure about the others since the challenge title is Window or Door...not plural. I'm not sure if the judges are looking for a window or a door or if multiples are included.

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2010
    I like #2, but don't get a strong sense of "closed" from the title. I do like the idea of a revolving door. I'll be in the minority and say I like the color better than the b&w.

I also think that #4 is quite cool and would also make a good entry. I especially like how the windows break up the lines in the reflection.
  • Options
    Dedalus77Dedalus77 Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited February 2, 2010
    I quite like #2, but as others have said, I'd focus on just the revolving door.
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2010
    #1 works as a lonely street shot (I should comment in the Street forum). But if you want to try the revolving door on its own. How about setting up for a longer exposure and spinning the door so there's a small amount of motion blur. Possibly even ghosting yourself, or someone else coming out.
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2010
    michswiss wrote:
    #1 works as a lonely street shot (I should comment in the Street forum). But if you want to try the revolving door on its own. How about setting up for a longer exposure and spinning the door so there's a small amount of motion blur. Possibly even ghosting yourself, or someone else coming out.

Love #1, the conversion is fantasticthumb.gif .

I agree with the recommendations for this shot--hower, if a reshoot is not possible, I still think it works as is--

The more I keep looking at it, the more it works--I like those two totally different style doors side by side.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2010
    There's something I really like about #5, especially the way the window decoration dances off into the distance and merging with the reflections. I would correct the angle and work it in PP a little more to make it pop, but that seems to be the best one of the bunch for me.
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2010
    I too like #5, the cool colors and very interesting building reflection... play with the color saturation?

I like the colors in #3, and the concept, but the angle is a bit much (I'm prone to those type pictures as well) and the tree branch is a little bothersome... nitpicking things.
    edited February 5, 2010
    Good stuff going on in all the shots! You have a great eye! Maybe give it just a little more patience and you'll have some great shots! What do I mean? You are a few shots away from greatness in all the shots, IMO. You're there, just stick around, be patient, and take several more exposures, tweaking composition. If you do that, I think these strong photos will be top notch!
    Cheers,
    Mark
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2010

Winston
    Thanks for the input Winston. I didn't get a vertical of just the rotating door on that occasion but went back this am, the light wasn't as good but I'll post it and a couple of others in another thread.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2010
    ic4u wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif
    #3 is kinda cool too, but the branch is distracting(IMO)
    Yeah, I managed to get rid of one set but the other proved a problem. It's one of the difficulties living in a town where they plant trees pretty much every where they can to break up the buildings.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

• Options
    edited February 7, 2010
    I'd like to see the wooden door by itself. It has a lot of character.

I'm not sure about the others since the challenge title is Window or Door...not plural. I'm not sure if the judges are looking for a window or a door or if multiples are included.

Chris
    Thanks for the feedback Chris.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

• Options
    edited February 7, 2010
    MarkR wrote:
    I like #2, but don't get a strong sense of "closed" from the title. I do like the idea of a revolving door. I'll be in the minority and say I like the color better than the b&w.

I also think that #4 is quite cool and would also make a good entry. I especially like how the windows break up the lines in the reflection.
    Thanks Mark. I think the title would probably have to change for #2. Well I've got a few hours yet.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

• Options
    edited February 7, 2010
    Dedalus77 wrote:
    I quite like #2, but as others have said, I'd focus on just the revolving door.
    Cheers Dedalus.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

• Options
    edited February 7, 2010
    michswiss wrote:
    Thanks for the suggestion Jen. Went back today but my motion blurs didn't come out as well as I'd hoped.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

• Options
    edited February 7, 2010
    Love #1, the conversion is fantasticthumb.gif .

I agree with the recommendations for this shot--hower, if a reshoot is not possible, I still think it works as is--

The more I keep looking at it, the more it works--I like those two totally different style doors side by side.
    Thanks Liz, I too prefer the B&W version but I'll no doubt change my mind before tomorrow.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

• Options
    edited February 7, 2010
    Kinkajou wrote:
    There's something I really like about #5, especially the way the window decoration dances off into the distance and merging with the reflections. I would correct the angle and work it in PP a little more to make it pop, but that seems to be the best one of the bunch for me.
    Thanks for the input kinkajou, I appreciate it.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

• Options
    edited February 7, 2010
    red_zone wrote:
    I too like #5, the cool colors and very interesting building reflection... play with the color saturation?

I like the colors in #3, and the concept, but the angle is a bit much (I'm prone to those type pictures as well) and the tree branch is a little bothersome... nitpicking things.
    Thanks for diving in red zone.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

• Options
    edited February 7, 2010
    liflander wrote:
    Good stuff going on in all the shots! You have a great eye! Maybe give it just a little more patience and you'll have some great shots! What do I mean? You are a few shots away from greatness in all the shots, IMO. You're there, just stick around, be patient, and take several more exposures, tweaking composition. If you do that, I think these strong photos will be top notch!
    Cheers,
    Mark
    Thanks Mark.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page