Options

Fly in Flight (FIF) & others

tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
edited July 8, 2005 in Holy Macro
These guys hear the mirror and fly everytime I try to get a pic. Caught him mid air. (I'd rather be lucky than good!)
27526343-L.jpg

#2 Meal time
27526356-L.jpg

#3 Complimentary colors are always nice!
27526354-L.jpg

#4 A moth?
27526357-L.jpg

#5 Damaged left rear wing
27526361-L.jpg

#6 The colors really caught my eye
27526351-L.jpg
Thomas :D

TML Photography
tmlphoto.com

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited July 7, 2005
    tmlphoto wrote:
    These guys hear the mirror and fly everytime I try to get a pic. Caught him mid air. (I'd rather be lucky than good!)
    27526343-S.jpg

#2 Meal time
    27526356-S.jpg

#3 Complimentary colors are always nice!
    27526354-S.jpg

#4 A moth?
    27526357-M.jpg

Very nice images. Still using the LSII, Thomas? I think #4 is not a moth but called a Skipper. Looks kind of like this one I shot with a G5 a while back.
    701949-L-1.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2005
    Really nice shots, Thomasthumb.gif I enjoyed them all.clap.gif
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2005
    Thanks for the ID Path. The lighting is with my new twin Winberly macro flash bracket with my 580 & 420EX flashes mounted. This was my first test series with this setup. The lighting ratio wasn't adjusted for these. That is my next step. What do you think about the lighting? I'll post a pic of the setup later when I get a chance.

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2005
    Netgarden wrote:
    Really nice shots, Thomasthumb.gif I enjoyed them all.clap.gif
    Thanks and thanks for looking.

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    Aussie_blueyAussie_bluey Registered Users Posts: 593 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2005
    Nice group of Macros.clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
    Tim
    :rofl Laugh at life, otherwise you will cry.:rofl
  • Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2005
    Great shots esp the FIF.

As regards the lighting, think most came out well- perhaps the butterfly is a bit flat. A guy on dpreview using a twin set up is using ratios around 4:1 so it's a bit like my shots (which are totally one sided) but a little bit of light from the other to give some shadow fill. Gets nice contrast without getting total darkness that I sometimes get.

brian V.
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2005
    Nice group of Macros.clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
    Tim
    Thanks Tim.
    Great shots esp the FIF.

As regards the lighting, think most came out well- perhaps the butterfly is a bit flat. A guy on dpreview using a twin set up is using ratios around 4:1 so it's a bit like my shots (which are totally one sided) but a little bit of light from the other to give some shadow fill. Gets nice contrast without getting total darkness that I sometimes get.

brian V.
    Thanks Brian.
    4:1 sounds like a good starting point. I really want the light to have a directional quality. I'll have to hit my manuals to figure out how to do it. Thanks for the suggestion.

I did a little levels adjustment on the Butterfly/Skipper. Amazing what a small tweek can do for an image sometimes.

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2005
    Great shots, Thomas. I love the furry little Skipper and the unusual little flowers. The FIF is great too, of course. They are all so nice and sharp. Do you hand hold the camera? I assume you do or you can't follow these guys around from flower to flower.:D
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2005
    snapapple wrote:
    Great shots, Thomas. I love the furry little Skipper and the unusual little flowers. The FIF is great too, of course. They are all so nice and sharp. Do you hand hold the camera? I assume you do or you can't follow these guys around from flower to flower.:D
    Thanks Snapapple. Yes, I do hand hold. Most of these guys don't sit still long.

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com