Options

Question about Embedding exif for HDR shots

Dedalus77Dedalus77 Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
edited February 9, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
I'm wondering how I embed the exif data for an HDR shot. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    liflanderliflander Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    Dedalus77 wrote:
    I'm wondering how I embed the exif data for an HDR shot. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I created the HDR shot 'inner sanctum' for challenge dss#43, and it shows the exif data. The 'inner sanctum' shot was created in 2 steps. I made jpegs from several raw files in Photoshop, then I created the HDR in Photomatix using the jpegs. Not sure if that helps. How are you making your HDRs?

Another possibility would be to include a link to one or all of the original files that do contain the exif data. It would be obvious that the HDR was made from the source image(s).

Mark
  • Options
    BinaryFxBinaryFx Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    It can be common for some applications to strip metadata, which is why it is often a good idea to work on copies of the original images.

Once you have created your HDR image, open it in Photoshop. Next, open one of the original bracketed exposures that were used to create the HDR image. Layer the HDR image over the top of the bracketed exposure and flatten. Then do a save as with a different name. One is basically using the original image that contains metadata as a "container" for the new pixels.

When one wishes to strip metadata, a similar process takes place. One can make a new document the same pixel dimensions as the original and copy the original to the new document. The new document will not have matadata. Save for web in Photoshop CS3 or earlier will strip metadata, while in CS4 there is an option to retain metadata. Save for web often "chokes" on large image files, so the manual way of stripping metadata works well for saving out hi-res files without metadata.

Sincerely,

Stephen Marsh

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~binaryfx/
    http://prepression.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    Another technique that has been used is to include a link to the original(s) in the caption. See bf2015 - Arriving in DSS 43 gallery.