Options

License/Charge or Give Away?

LeftHandLeftHand Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
edited February 10, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
Hi,
I'd like to get your opinion/thoughts on this.

A few months ago I shot this circus act in the City - I wasn't yet interested in going all out in my photography so I sent them a link and told them they can download the images for free and I can give them full rez photos if they needed it. Anyway, seems they didn't download any of photos I had uploaded to my site back then. I have since taken their gallery off my website now. I recently received an email from the co-founder of this circus act and he's taking me up on my offer and asking if I can give him full resolution copies of all the photos I took. They're no Cirque du Soliel and they're not as well funded - they rely heavily on contributions and sponsors.

So, things have changed and I've pursued my photography business more seriously. In my industry we call this FOC (free of charge), being a product manager, when the Sales guys come to me to ask for FOC work for customers, my response is we don't subsidize other people's business. But every now and then we do this to improve business relationships. I'm just applying this to my situation now. But also keeping in mind that this Circus act may not even have a budget for photography related items.

The co-founder plans to use the images for promotions and getting more gigs overseas.

So, what would you do in my situation. I'm looking at 2 things now :

1. Give the photos for free in hopes of getting my name circulated?
2. License the images at some cost? I've been looking at online pricing tools for stock photos.

Any other options? Since I'm also just beginning in my photog business, I'm looking for more clients but also don't want to set any precedent that my images are "free".

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    lightyearlightyear Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2010
    free photos/
    [quote=
    .[/quote]
    The likilhood of your getting photocredit each time one of your images is used is unlikely. You gave them a chance to get them free before. I would charge them something now, and consider yourself lucky if you get anything. you can also reauire them to use your name each time a photo is used, but how could you enforce it?
    Stan
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2010
    lightyear wrote:
    The likilhood of your getting photocredit each time one of your images is used is unlikely. You gave them a chance to get them free before. I would charge them something now, and consider yourself lucky if you get anything. you can also reauire them to use your name each time a photo is used, but how could you enforce it?
    Stan

Thanks Lightyear. I just went ahead and gave them the images as I had originally promised. We learn each time.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2010
    You did the right thing. You kept your word.

Sam
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2010
    Sam wrote:
    You did the right thing. You kept your word.

Sam

W O R D ~thumb.gif
    tom wise
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2010
    LeftHand wrote:
    ... so I sent them a link and told them they can download the images for free and I can give them full rez photos if they needed it...

... I'm looking for more clients but also don't want to set any precedent that my images are "free".

headscratch.gif These two quotes from your post are at odds with each other. If you don't want to give the impression your images are "free", probably you shouldn't offer them up for free, right?

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    edited February 6, 2010
    dogwood wrote:
    headscratch.gif These two quotes from your post are at odds with each other. If you don't want to give the impression your images are "free", probably you shouldn't offer them up for free, right?

Hi, long story, but I had offered it for free before I even started my business. Just kept my word. I did learn my lesson...
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010