Options

planning a trip to nyc

delawerekiddelawerekid Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited February 13, 2010 in Location, Location, Location!
hi everyone
im planning an adventure in the big apple. were staying 2 days. the first day were thinking about doing all the touristy things like statue of liberty and the natural history muesum. but for the 2nd day i wanted to do stuff that isnt really that touristy. any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2010
    I would suggest checking out the Leica Museum. It's often got cool exhibits.

Also, for nice shots of the Manhattan skyline, try catching a ferry to Jersey City. Ferries to JC leave from the financial center. The Staten Island Ferry goes right past the Statue of Liberty, and is free.

BTW, I would suggest skipping the actual statue of liberty- ot's much more impressive from outside than it is from inside, and if crowds are heavy it can eat up most of your day. I would rather recommend the emigration museum at Ellis island. It's one of the best, and most underrated museums in NYC.

Roosevelt Island is nice, good back views of Manhattan, and the cable car gives you good bird's eye views of the street.

If you have only 2 days, then I doubt you will have much extra time left over after you've done all the tourist stuff. There's a lot to do.

If you want to go to the tope of the empire state building, I would suggest getting there early, as lines can get long. Grand Central is worht checking out as well. Tripods are forbidden, IIRC, but monopods aren't- go figure.

EVERY trip to New York should include a hajj to B&H, located on the corner of 9th Ave and 33rd street. Do not miss it. Awesome.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2010
    Justiceiro wrote:
    I would suggest checking out the Leica Museum. It's often got cool exhibits.

Also, for nice shots of the Manhattan skyline, try catching a ferry to Jersey City. Ferries to JC leave from the financial center. The Staten Island Ferry goes right past the Statue of Liberty, and is free.

BTW, I would suggest skipping the actual statue of liberty- ot's much more impressive from outside than it is from inside, and if crowds are heavy it can eat up most of your day. I would rather recommend the emigration museum at Ellis island. It's one of the best, and most underrated museums in NYC.

Roosevelt Island is nice, good back views of Manhattan, and the cable car gives you good bird's eye views of the street.

If you have only 2 days, then I doubt you will have much extra time left over after you've done all the tourist stuff. There's a lot to do.

If you want to go to the tope of the empire state building, I would suggest getting there early, as lines can get long. Grand Central is worht checking out as well. Tripods are forbidden, IIRC, but monopods aren't- go figure.

EVERY trip to New York should include a hajj to B&H, located on the corner of 9th Ave and 33rd street. Do not miss it. Awesome.

im most defiantly going to the natural history museum and the met and now that you mention B&H imma hit them up... thats it so far....oh and ellens stardust diner
  • Options
    Dedalus77Dedalus77 Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2010
    My favorite off-the-beaten-path recommendation is the Morgan Library. They often have very unique traveling exhibitions there and the permanent collection is not to be missed.

I'd also recommend eating at Jackson Hole, excellent, though messy, burgers.
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    What days will you be in NYC? Be sure to check B&H's calendar for holiday closings. In addition to every Saturday, they are closed on most Jewish holidays. I hope you're not coming until we get ourselves dug out of the snow that's coming in the morning!
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2010
    nope!
    originally we were going to go 1 and 2 of march but i think we're gonna wait till end of march-april time frame so it will be warmer
  • Options
    OspreyOsprey Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2010
    Things not to miss
    I would not miss the Brooklyn Bridge. When I was there we went on the walk way about 1/2 hr before sunset and walked to the middle of the span. The sunset and views on the way back are spectacular (weather permitting) check out my web site on http//:osprey.smugmug.com for my results.