Options

I love snow

WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
edited February 13, 2010 in Landscapes
But I'm getting tired of digging out from under multiple feet of the stuff.
We've been hit by two blizzards - totaling nearly four feet of snow - in less than a week, and we're buried under it. The whole state of Maryland is digging, digging, digging, and there is a fairly large percentage of the population, particularly in the cramped streets of Baltimore and Annapolis, who are still snowed in and unable to even go to the grocery store.
I was able to get out to dinner tonight with my friends, whom I have not seen in about two weeks because of all the freakin' snow!
Earlier today I walked around the block taking pics.
There is a whole car under there. Somewhere.
786419674_4xruZ-M.jpg
Snow Sphinx.
786419942_EDUHX-M.jpg
Er... this is not a beach, dude.
786419168_MdJGA-M.jpg
The snow is getting deeper. And Leon's getting LARRRRRRRRGER!
786421216_H223k-M.jpg
We've got icicles as long as 6'-8' hanging from our buildings.
786474456_e5pok-M.jpg786416678_mJc8N-M.jpg786409083_bLDt4-M.jpg

C&C welcome, but be gentle. I have low self-esteem and a very fragile ego.
What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"

Comments

• Options
    GringriffGringriff Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2010
    Boy we are cold down here but only traces of snow are left in these parts. We have a small chance for some freezing rain later today - yuck!

I think that is why we all get excited in NC when the snow comes - we get to have fun for a day or two and then it goes away. You guys have been hit hard up.

With all that digging, it's good you found time to get some shots. I don't really see these as being shots to print or display so much, but instead make good support in documenting the storm and its effects and the hard work it creates. Several of the ones near the bottom could be rotated along a vertical such as a house corner or a window frame.

Hope you guys stay warm,
    Andy
    Andy
    http://andygriffinphoto.com/
    http://andygriffin.smugmug.com/
    Canon 7D, 70-200mm L, 50 and 85 primes, Tamron 17-50, 28-135
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2010
    Yeah, I did these as quick snapshots between sessions of digging, chopping ice, and freeing stuck cars. I was highly dissapointed in the results myself, but this was the first opportunity I've had to use my new Canon 18-200 IS lens, which arrived from B&H just before the second storm hit on Tuesday.

I think when I get home from work tonight I'll take your advice and try rotating the icicle shots to line up better with the window frames, see if they look better without the Dutch Tilt. And maybe I'll be able to crop out the tripod leg that's in the lower left corner of the last shot.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    andersmi24andersmi24 Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited February 12, 2010
    I'm with you, my friend (Oakton, VA). We're supposed to get another inch or so on Monday.
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2010
    Okay, I've straightened a couple of the icicle shots:

787269926_fqSfe-M.jpg
    787269954_FqeRc-M.jpg
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2010
    Fun picsthumb.gif

I read in our paper this morning that 67% of the entire US is under at least 8 inches of snow:jawdrop
    and 49 of the states had snow including Florida. The only state not snowed on was Hawaii:D
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2010
    Fun picsthumb.gif

I read in our paper this morning that 67% of the entire US is under at least 8 inches of snow:jawdrop
    and 49 of the states had snow including Florida. The only state not snowed on was Hawaii:D

Actually, that might not be entirely true - the upper elevations of several mountains in Hawaii often have snow, so there might be some out there even now.

I think I'll break out my DVD of "The Day After Tomorrow" and watch it tonight...