Options

Any monitors that flip to vertical?

scootacscootac Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
edited February 27, 2010 in Digital Darkroom
I'm starting to look for new computer set-up. Considering my eyes are getting older, I want a nice big monitor. When I look at them, they all seem to be built for panoramic landscape shots. Very nice!
BUT on a vertical shot, the photo is compressed into the short side of the monitor. So my question, is there a monitor out there that physically flips from horizontal to vertical, depending on the orientation of your shot?
If there is, I'm guessing it's going to be priced out of my range, so probably a moot point, but thought I'd ask before I buy.
Thanks!!!
The world is a book, those that do not travel, read but one page.

Comments

• Options
    BsimonBsimon Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2010
    Scootac,

My recommendation would be to get a nice Panel display + a wall mount that is rotatable. You can easily adjust the orientation of your screen (on PC) by pressing control/Alt/arrow keys at the same time.

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2010
    scootac wrote:
    I'm starting to look for new computer set-up. Considering my eyes are getting older, I want a nice big monitor. When I look at them, they all seem to be built for panoramic landscape shots. Very nice!
    BUT on a vertical shot, the photo is compressed into the short side of the monitor. So my question, is there a monitor out there that physically flips from horizontal to vertical, depending on the orientation of your shot?
    If there is, I'm guessing it's going to be priced out of my range, so probably a moot point, but thought I'd ask before I buy.
    Thanks!!!

Do you need AdobeRGB?

If not, I'd go for a PC with the new ATi video cards (5700 series that supports their EyeFinity system) that support multiple LUT's and get two Dell 2209WA's which are the best bang for the buck in a sRGB monitor at this time. You can have one in the vertical and the other horizontal as ithat monitor does support rotation to portrait mode. You have to manually rotate it however.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=320-7825

Get a hardware calibrator and with the having 3 LUT's on one 5700 series ATi card, each monitor will then have a LUT against the caliabrated ICC profile can be assigned ensuring that both monitors look siimilar.

• Options
    lfortierlfortier Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2010
    I recently took delivery of a Dell Ultra Sharp 2209AW which does flip to vertical very easily. Sharpness and color rendition are great.

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=corp&sku=320-7825

http://blog.szynalski.com/2009/05/01/review-of-the-dell-2009wa/

Good luck in your search.
  • Options
    kdlanejrkdlanejr Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited February 14, 2010
    My Dell 2408 flips to portrait, but I've never had a reason to use that feature. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2010
    Newsy wrote:
    Do you need AdobeRGB?

Sorry to be ignorant here, but how do I know??? I've been around photography awhile, but am just getting to playing with the computer to edit/improve what I've taken. I have Adobe Elements 7, and so far haven't scratched the surface yet.

If not, I'd go for a PC with the new ATi video cards (5700 series that supports their EyeFinity system) that support multiple LUT's and get two Dell 2209WA's which are the best bang for the buck in a sRGB monitor at this time. You can have one in the vertical and the other horizontal as ithat monitor does support rotation to portrait mode. You have to manually rotate it however.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=320-7825

Get a hardware calibrator and with the having 3 LUT's on one 5700 series ATi card, each monitor will then have a LUT against the caliabrated ICC profile can be assigned ensuring that both monitors look siimilar.

These are terms I've only heard, don't know the full meaning of though. LUT?? ICC?? Where can I go to cure my stupidity? Well, at least a little of it!
    Budget will only allow 1 monitor. I shoot mainly for my pleasure and am looking to enhance what I've done with the camera already. I don't have a critical eye like some do, just want to make things to satisfy me.
    Thanks for trying to help, and making me look further into what I need!
  • Options
    NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2010
    scootac wrote:
    These are terms I've only heard, don't know the full meaning of though. LUT?? ICC?? Where can I go to cure my stupidity? Well, at least a little of it!
    Budget will only allow 1 monitor. I shoot mainly for my pleasure and am looking to enhance what I've done with the camera already. I don't have a critical eye like some do, just want to make things to satisfy me.
    Thanks for trying to help, and making me look further into what I need!
    Laughing.gif! No stupidity, only naivity. We all start with the same knowledge base... :D

Budget... no problem. Makes it simpler. Get just one of the Dell 2209WA. Note the link provided in the earlier post. Dell has several monitors with the "2209" in their model number. The others are less expensive and simply do not compare. The others will be something like the E228WFP shown in the next link.

http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=88&mo1=477&p1=4862&ma2=88&mo2=218&p2=2098&ph=8

With the 2209WA, if you want to see an image in portrait mode you can simply rotate the monitor and hopefully your video card will autosense this and adjust the image as required.

LUT = Look Up Table

The LUT holds calibration data which is applied to correct the monitors' RGB values ensuring that the monitor is presenting an image with colors and gamma within an defined standard. By using a calibrated monitor you ensure that your images will look the same on other people's calibrated monitors and theirs will appear correctly on yours. At worst, for people with uncalibrated or poorly calibrated monitors, your images will look the best they can.

Top end monitors have internal LUT's that can be programmed by a hardware/software colorimeter. There are some advantages to this especially where two or more monitors are attached to a single video card in the PC.

Most typical PC's have a video card which has one single LUT and use inexpensive monitors that don't have internal LUT's. In this case the settings for the external monitor attached are applied via the LUT in the video card. Any change made to the video card affects all monitors attached. Some video cards have connections for up to 3 monitors. They all would share the same LUT. The problem here is that no two monitors are ever identical, even when the same model and brand new. A calibration taken on one monitor may (and likely will) cause the others to look worse.

ICC Profiles

When you use a hardware colorimeter (calibrator) it generates a profile for the monitor that is defined per an ICC standard. This is the ICC profile I spoke of. There are also ICC profiles for printers - for printers it is a function of the ink and paper used. Change the paper... you need to use a different profile. There are usually several paper profiles supplied on a disk with each printer.

For monitors, there is usually a default ICC profile supplied for the monitor. Under Windows Vista or Win7, there is a "Color Management Utility" that allows you to define the default monitor ICC profile to use. Don't use the general sRGB EIC61966-2.1profile. Use the specific profile for your monitor - at worst the one supplied by the manufacturer or one you create.

Some recent video cards support up to three LUT's on one card. This enables them, in theory, to have three different monitors side by side and have each show an image with approximately the same color dynamics. For best viewing, each monitor will have been custom calibrated and the unique ICC profile generated will be applied to the LUT linked to the port it is connected to on the back of the video card. Under Windows 7 this is supposed to be an intuitive process with the monitor being auto-sensed during the calibration process. The hardest part is perhaps naming the profile (a caveat... I use Vista and have not tried Win7 so am not 100% sure just how easy it is).

Most better quality monitors will cover 95%+ of the sRGB color space and many are considered wide gamut as they also will cover up to 100% of the AdobeRGB color space. I suggest you stay away from any of these "wide gamut" monitors as they require that you have a firm understanding of color spaces and color management in order to enjoy the image presentation.

TFT LCD monitors use several panel technologies. Generally speaking these are from best to worst:

IPS (newer variants are S-IPS, AS-IPS, H-IPS, e-IPS, etc)
    PVA (newer variants are S-PVA, c-PVA)
    MVA (newer variants are A-MVA, P-MVA, S-MVA, etc)
    TN

If you would like some background on these panels, read this article:
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/panel_technologies.htm

Some other articles you may enjoy can be found here:
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles.htm

A great site for in depth reviews is:
    http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/reviews.html

You'll find the 2209WA in that Prad list.

• Options
    edited February 15, 2010
    Thanks Newsy!

...... I think!:D
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2010
    Refurb models of the 2209WA are $199. That's quite a deal and they come with the same warranty as new

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/topics/global.aspx/arb/online/en/InventorySearch?c=us&cs=28&l=en&lob=MON&MODEL_DESC=ALL&s=dfb

Search on that page for H736H which is the part number.
  • Options
    timcallowtimcallow Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited February 27, 2010
    Thanks for the tip on the refurbed models!
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2010
    I have a NEC 2490 kind of expensive, but a nice monitor.
    When I bought it I thought it was cool that it would flip to vertical, of course since I have had it for 2 years I have never flipped it..not once.
    But...it does flip.