Options

What do you think of my rates?

dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
edited February 16, 2010 in Weddings
I've decided to raise my prices after advice from local photographers and MANY forum photographers. I feel that not only will my client base become easier to work with, but the quality of my work will match the price.

A few things to keep in mind. I live in southern New Mexico, so the average income is lower than the US average. The prices I have set are close to the top of middle range photographers for my area.

Here is what I would like you to do...

1. First... Go to my website, check out the galleries and estimate what you think my middle package is.

2. Then, go to my Investment page and take a look at my rates. Let me know what you think!

www.photographybydawson.com

Thanks for your help!

Website
My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
| 580EX II & 430EX

Comments

• Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2010
    I checked out your site.
    I have no idea of the quality of work of the photographers in your area.
    I can only speak for my area, Boise.
    I would rate your work as average, with your middle package being in the 1500 dollar range, again those would be rates for my area where the top photographers are getting about 4000-5000.
    You could probably push your top package to 2200 to 2400 with a book and engagement/bridal shoot....again pricing for my area.
    I didn't look at your rates, since I don't know what others in your area charge or the quality of your competitions work I have no frame of reference.

As far as business it is better to charge to much that to not charge enough.
    The less you charge the more competition there is....the more you charge the better your work has to be to compete.

Just my opinion, I am sure others will provide differing opinions.
  • Options
    The_Fat_ZebraThe_Fat_Zebra Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2010
    This is only slightly related, but I was trying to view your flash site with IE8 and it didn't work well. Pictures were positioned oddly, loaded on top of each other ... You may want to have a look at that.
    Street & Portrait because of the people. Landscape because it's pretty.
    Disappointed with AF of Tamron 28-75 2.8, me less happy.
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2010
    Thanks for the info, guys. I will definitely look into the problem the page is having. I appreciate you both looking at my site!

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
    | 580EX II & 430EX

• Options
    FedererPhotoFedererPhoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2010
    I said 2k - even though the images themselves were decent, it seemed you have a lot of duplicates and a lot from the same wedding.

Your 'investment' page seemed about right on with what I felt about your images.

I don't have a ton to offer regarding the rest of what the above posters mentioned.
    Minneapolis Minnesota Wedding Photographer - Check out my Personal Photography site and Professional Photography Blog
    Here is a wedding website I created for a customer as a value-add. Comments appreciated.
    Founding member of The Professional Photography Forum as well.
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2010
    I said 2k - even though the images themselves were decent, it seemed you have a lot of duplicates and a lot from the same wedding.

Your 'investment' page seemed about right on with what I felt about your images.

I don't have a ton to offer regarding the rest of what the above posters mentioned.

Thanks for the comment. I will go through and weed some of the duplicate images out and some from than one wedding where there's a lot from. :D

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    | 580EX II & 430EX

• Options
    smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2010
    Just in case this helps, I found the rates vague and confusing. The packages seem to include prints, but how many and what size are not stated. One? Four hundred? 4X6? 16 X 20? It should be specified with each package.

Also, your first package includes a 40 page album...(press printed book). Then the more expensive package, a 20 page flush mount album. Couples don't know the difference, in general, till they hold the two in their hands, or, as someone said above, at least see pictures of them. So it seems most would naturally go for the higher page count, since they get double the album in their minds for far less money. Also, that 40 page book requires twice the design time from you. The smallest page count seemingly should come with the lower priced package.
  • Options
    DanspageDanspage Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2010
    dawssvt wrote:
    I've decided to raise my prices after advice from local photographers and MANY forum photographers. I feel that not only will my client base become easier to work with, but the quality of my work will match the price.

A few things to keep in mind. I live in southern New Mexico, so the average income is lower than the US average. The prices I have set are close to the top of middle range photographers for my area.

Here is what I would like you to do...

1. First... Go to my website, check out the galleries and estimate what you think my middle package is.

2. Then, go to my Investment page and take a look at my rates. Let me know what you think!

www.photographybydawson.com

Thanks for your help!

I like your webpage a lot. The problem I have is your smugmug site. The problem is you have very many photos that are almost same in groupings. I would create a Grouping for all files that is password protected for the B.G. to pick from. Then I would remove the extra files and combine a few groupings for the general public to view.

I am working at this on my site also. I have unlisted gallery's for outakes. My Clients have dvd's with all the files so I don't need the PW galleries. It's quite a job on my site as I have over 7500 files loaded to date. What a mess it is, not weddings just a lot of landscape stuff.

Is hard to see the diamonds in the coalmine.

PS: DO NOT USE YOUR FULL NAME ON YOUR POST. GOOGLE WILL FIND YOU
    Daniel
    http://danspage.smugmug.com/
    Scratch Nikon I switched to
    Canon 5d mark II