Options

Help Needed!

imaximax Registered Users Posts: 691 Major grins
edited February 18, 2010 in House of Canon
Hey everybody,

It's been a while! After a long and I do mean long couple of years I am looking to get back into the swing of things and I'm looking to acquire some new gear to get started. I found this ad earlier and was wondering if everyone here thought it was a good deal. Sine the opinion of Dgrin members is highly valued I figured I'd ask. So here is the ad

Canon EOS Rebel XSI with 3 macro zoom lenses canon 28-90mm, tamron 28-300mm, and canon kit lens 18-55mm. Comes with two new batteries, a charger, video transfer cables, carrying case, and instruction manuals.

$750.00 for everything.

Any thoughts? Only supposedly has a couple of hundred shots.........

Joe

Thanks for any inpput provided....

Comments

• Options
    kewlcanonkewlcanon Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited February 16, 2010
    The XSI is fine but I just don't like the lenses.
    imax wrote:
    Hey everybody,

It's been a while! After a long and I do mean long couple of years I am looking to get back into the swing of things and I'm looking to acquire some new gear to get started. I found this ad earlier and was wondering if everyone here thought it was a good deal. Sine the opinion of Dgrin members is highly valued I figured I'd ask. So here is the ad

Canon EOS Rebel XSI with 3 macro zoom lenses canon 28-90mm, tamron 28-300mm, and canon kit lens 18-55mm. Comes with two new batteries, a charger, video transfer cables, carrying case, and instruction manuals.

$750.00 for everything.

Joe

• Options
    jan1prsjan1prs Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited February 16, 2010
    Lens quality is everything, if you know someone who has a good L then shoot some pictures with it and then with a kit lens the difference is something to behold. Pick out a great lens and then spend the leftover on the camera (used)
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2010
    Thanks for the replies. I know that glass makes all the difference in the world. I had some L glass a few years back a canon 24-105l IS and the f-4 70-200l but unfortunately due to financial difficulties I had to sell them along with my 20d.

I have some extra cash now to get back in the game and have come across several interesting offers including the one above. Here is another.

Lightly Used Canon T1i with kit lens and 8 gb card for $700

Is this worth it?

thanks for the help.....
    jan1prs wrote:
    Lens quality is everything, if you know someone who has a good L then shoot some pictures with it and then with a kit lens the difference is something to behold. Pick out a great lens and then spend the leftover on the camera (used)
  • Options
    scottgee1scottgee1 Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2010
    imax wrote:

Which kit lens?
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2010
    imax wrote:
    Thanks for the replies. I know that glass makes all the difference in the world. I had some L glass a few years back a canon 24-105l IS and the f-4 70-200l but unfortunately due to financial difficulties I had to sell them along with my 20d.

I have some extra cash now to get back in the game and have come across several interesting offers including the one above. Here is another.

Is this worth it?

thanks for the help.....

"lightly used"? I would get the shutter count and some pics or personally take some pics with the camera and lens. Ask about the warranty and return policy. The T1i and 18-55IS used prices might be reasonable but in two weeks the Canon T2i will start selling and T1i/500D prices are expected to drop. You can check used prices on this and other camera buy/sell forums (POTN).
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2010
    scottgee1 wrote:
    Which kit lens?

18-55
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2010
    Brett1000 wrote:
    "lightly used"? I would get the shutter count and some pics or personally take some pics with the camera and lens. Ask about the warranty and return policy. The T1i and 18-55IS used prices might be reasonable but in two weeks the Canon T2i will start selling and T1i/500D prices are expected to drop. You can check used prices on this and other camera buy/sell forums (POTN).

From the seller:

This is a brand new camera, I bought it from the local BestBuy back on Jan-15. The camera is in excellent condition, it absolutly has no signs of wear, still has that new smell. I only used the first week.

I'm selling it with the original BestBuy receipt, it comes with the original canon warranty and it's not registered so you can write to your name. I purchased this camera kit for $856.99 + 8GB card for $44.99, that's over $900! I'm selling it for $700 it make a hell of a bargin for a still new camera. If you want the body only I can do $600

Still not sure which way to go. Thanks for your help though............
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2010
    imax, I don't know you so I don't know how/what you shoot . . . what do you anticipate?

headscratch.gif

That will help narrow the options.

BTW, the IS version of the 18-55 is optically superior to the two previous versions.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 17, 2010
    Hey Imax - glad to see you shopping for gear again!

I myself have been DSLR'less for a quite a while now so i don't have much to add other than those prices are in line with what they have traded for here on Dgrin over the past year or so.

As a note (to all): I reckon Imax knows about what he's looking for*, so let's stick to discussion of price$/deal$. This is the flea market after all. thumb.gif

*And if he doesn't, may I recommend a move to the gear forum?

Thanks,
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited February 17, 2010
    DoctorIt wrote:
    *And if he doesn't, may I recommend a move to the gear forum?
    That makes more sense to me. He's not buying from or selling to anyone here and the key questions are related to equipment.
  • Options
    RobertkRobertk Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2010
    I have been thinking of upgrading to an 7d from an xsi. I would be willing to sell my xsi if you are really interested. Its only a few months old and would give you a better deal than he is.
    imax wrote:
    Hey everybody,

$750.00 for everything.

Joe