Options

Maternity Shoot Advice

FstoplifeFstoplife Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
edited February 18, 2010 in People
I am shooting my cousin this weekend, she's about 37 weeks pregnant. I have a Nikon D80 and the Sb-600 Speedlight. I am shooting at her house, and the just moved so I am not sure what the lighting situation is. I was thinking of going to BH to get a stand for my flash and an umbrella, are these needed? Otherwise I was thinking of just taking a white piece of foamcore and bouncing my SB-600, which is probably the better way, if we assume she has just regular lighting? Also I recently read that the 18-55mm lensis better than the 50mm for portraits, is this true? I adore my 50mm and I was going to use that primarily but bring the others of course, just in case, but now I am thinking maybe I will use the 18-55 primarily and see how that goes.
Flickr My, not quite there yet, website

~This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.~

Comments

• Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2010
    Fstoplife wrote:
    I am shooting my cousin this weekend, she's about 37 weeks pregnant. I have a Nikon D80 and the Sb-600 Speedlight. I am shooting at her house, and the just moved so I am not sure what the lighting situation is. I was thinking of going to BH to get a stand for my flash and an umbrella, are these needed? Otherwise I was thinking of just taking a white piece of foam core and bouncing my SB-600, which is probably the better way, if we assume she has just regular lighting? Also I recently read that the 18-55mm lenses better than the 50mm for portraits, is this true? I adore my 50mm and I was going to use that primarily but bring the others of course, just in case, but now I am thinking maybe I will use the 18-55 primarily and see how that goes.

Should you buy more stuff...depends on what you are planning. Inside...outside.

Inside with a backdrop...could be a wall, or sheet, get the light stand, umbrella, and a reflector minimum. Reflector can be a large piece of foam core...around $8, like you suggested. You will get much better images with your flash off camera...indoors and out.

If you don't have any ideas as to posing...go online...look at some maternity shots...and make a shot book with some of the pictures. Get permission first to use the pictures. Take the book to your cousin's house...show her the pictures and tell her duplicate the poses.

The best time to photograph a maternity shoot is around 7 months or so. Usually by 37 weeks, the expecting mother is too far along and the belly may be too large for what you want. But, belly size depends on the woman...some are huge, some are barely showing...and then there are the in betweeners.

I would keep it simple. Light and umbrella on stand up above the subjects head...and at 45 degrees to the side. Use 125th of a second shutter speed, and f5.6 at ISO 200 or 400 for indoor shooting. Make sure the histogram is in the middle of your scale...that way you know you pretty much have the correct lighting...and have a good capture...provided that you are focused on her eyes and the image is sharp. By the way, shoot RAW if you have the ability to post process this type of file.

With the 18-55mm...stay back around 15ft to avoid distorting any body parts. If you are too close, then you run the risk of making what ever body part is closer to the camera look larger than the rest of her body...proprotioanally speaking, and your subject will look a little odd...well, sometimes, a lot odd.

If you decide not to use an umbrella...use natural light...posing by a window...and still use a reflector...piece of white, soft foam core opposite of your light. Again...look at outdoor maternity shots for ideas...and a shot book again, if you can find free images.

55mm on your D80 is not a bad focal length for portaits...so you will be limited to f5.6 I'm guessing. But, why don't you want to use your 50mm...it will be about 75mm on your D80...not significantly different than 55mm on your kit lens, and it is most likely a better lens, although I don't know, since I'm not familiar with the 18-55mm.

What ever you do...if you are doing flash, keep your subject around 6 feet from the back ground...that way your shadows will tend to be low and behind them. If 6 feet isn't doable, then something less, but avoid putting her against the wall, unless you are lighting the wall to reduce the shadows.

When you are shooting, be sure to fill the frame, but not to the extent that you can't crop for image sizing. Push in, focus, pull back, and take the image. If you shoot too tight, then you will inevitably have issues when the client wants 4x6, 5x7, and 8x10 prints from the same digital image. The aspect ration for each is different and you will find that what works for a 4x6 will not work for an 8x10, or 5x7...leaving you with limited options for photo sizes...or cut off arms, knees, or whatever.

One other caveat...don't focus on her face with the center focal point and then recompose with the focal point on her belly for a full length/ half length shot...you will wind up with a belly button in focus and the head and feet out of focus. This advice is for frontals. I don't mean that you can't shoot angles...but this is a common problem...it will leave you wondering why your shots are soft...and blaming it on the lens or camera.

Hope this helps.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2010
    Ahhh, mmmmm,,,, yup. What he said. 15524779-Ti.gif

One thought; stick with what you know... What sounds easy can make a guy look s t u p i d when it comes to Show Time - A couple of days doesn't leave much room for figuring new gears.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2010
    Light stand - good idea (or use her husband)

Umbrella - maybe, if you see a use for it in the future. Alternatvie - bounce it off a wall, turning the wall into a huge diffuser.

Fill light - the reflector idea is a good one

Maybe do a version of Jeff's light on a stick might be an idea for some different lighting.

Shoot a gray card image any time you change the lighting. This will make it soooo much easier to get a decent WB when you PP the images.
  • Options
    FstoplifeFstoplife Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2010
    I am def going to go with what I know, I just wanted to see if there was anything else I should be doing. I do want to invest in a small umbrella, light stand, clamp kit, so it would be something, even if I don't use it now, I will in the future. I am mostly a flash bouncer. I just got the puffer as well for my pop-up flash, if I need it and a small soft box for my sb-600.

We are doing it all indoors as it's so cold here in NY and there's still snow strewn throught Long Island. I am really excited and so is she. I am sure I will get some good shots. This always happens before a shoot. I start getting nervous and freak out thinking I need more than what I have and then the day comes and it comes out ok. I am going to get a reflector though.

How big of a piece of foamcore would you recommend? I am going to call my local sign shop and see what they would charge me. I can get a 4' x 8' but I think that is way too big. Advice?
    Flickr My, not quite there yet, website

~This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.~
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2010
    Fstoplife wrote:
    How big of a piece of foamcore would you recommend? I am going to call my local sign shop and see what they would charge me. I can get a 4' x 8' but I think that is way too big. Advice?
    4' x 4' would not be too large. You can, if you wish, cut it in half (whatever size you elect) and tape it together with duct tape. This will make carrying it quite a bit easier.