Options

Breaking Into The industry.

dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
edited July 11, 2005 in Mind Your Own Business
Well we all know that all of us (or at least most of us) wish we could make a couple hundred thousand a year doing nothing but playing with our cameras. Or even a decent living off of it would be great. I'm working towards making at least some of my income from photography and have been given an chance to try something new and get published. Here's what I get, Full press access to a 3 day extreme motorsports event, published in a extreme sports magazine, expeirience working with other magazine photographers from other magazines, and one hell of a good time (notice no monetary amounts).

They get photos for use in the magazine (I retain full ownership and copywrite crap).

No monies which sucks :cry but it is a newer magazine, plus the expierience (I know its prolly spelled wrong) of getting to do this type of shoot. Plus I will be getting published in another magazine without having to pay to get my images in it (my past shots that have been published have all been in advertisment for product so even though I didn't pay to get them published it wasn't like a real photojournalist thing). Not to mention getting exposure to the really big magazine that will be there. Which is a very well known magazine.

What do you guys think? Does it sound like a reasonable offer or should I pass on it.
Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
www.zxstudios.com
http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    ChaseChase Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2005
    Well we all know that all of us (or at least most of us) wish we could make a couple hundred thousand a year doing nothing but playing with our cameras. Or even a decent living off of it would be great. I'm working towards making at least some of my income from photography and have been given an chance to try something new and get published. Here's what I get, Full press access to a 3 day extreme motorsports event, published in a extreme sports magazine, expeirience working with other magazine photographers from other magazines, and one hell of a good time (notice no monetary amounts).

They get photos for use in the magazine (I retain full ownership and copywrite crap).

No monies which sucks :cry but it is a newer magazine, plus the expierience (I know its prolly spelled wrong) of getting to do this type of shoot. Plus I will be getting published in another magazine without having to pay to get my images in it (my past shots that have been published have all been in advertisment for product so even though I didn't pay to get them published it wasn't like a real photojournalist thing). Not to mention getting exposure to the really big magazine that will be there. Which is a very well known magazine.

What do you guys think? Does it sound like a reasonable offer or should I pass on it.
    Ask them to pay you for like 15 dollar an hour or make it so they are "renting" your equipment.....why should you show up for free, especially if it is a new magazine......if you sound like you are desperate they will treat you like you are desperate to get published. But i guess it is okay if you really are desperate. ne_nau.gif
    www.chase.smugmug.com
    I just press the button and the camera goes CLICK. :dunno
    Canon: gripped 20d and 30d, 10-22 3.5-4.5, 17-55 IS, 50mm f1.8, 70-200L IS, 85mm f1.8, 420ex
    sigma: 10-20 4-5.6 (for sale), 24-70 2.8 (for sale), 120-300 2.8
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2005
    Not so much desperate as I want the press passes to get access I wouldn't normally get. I'm thinking bout asking them to get me a nice hotel for the weekend at the least. After all there will be some good looking single women there I'm sure. mwink.gif
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2005
    Not so much desperate as I want the press passes to get access I wouldn't normally get. I'm thinking bout asking them to get me a nice hotel for the weekend at the least. After all there will be some good looking single women there I'm sure. mwink.gif

Make sure you get photo credits in the publication. Have them send you three copies of the magazine in which the images appear for free, for your portfolio.

I've done a few magazine submissions for free for this very reason. Always in small magazines. I hope I don't have to do anymore for free. I'm not entirely sure it was worth it, to be honest. Do a few, but don't do many. Free publicity is only worth so much, after all. ;)

Also, bring business cards. Pass them out to the riders. Hopefully they'll buy some pictures off you.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2005
    When one is just starting out, confidence is usually the weakest link. Boosting the confidence to the level of "yes I can do that job" is important. So if a job comes around for little or no pay, and you think it is worth it, then it just might be. The biggest confidence booster is getting paid by a happy client.
    When you have done enough work to know when the next offer comes in for free or nearly free work that this "opportunity" offers no value to you, then start asking for pay or turning it down.

As mentioned, free publicity really isn't worth a whole lot. Working for free will refer more work that is for free. The only way to break the cycle is to turn down the free work and start working to land the paid work.

Just make sure that during this initial free period, to not get yourself into a situation where you wind up having to fork out a lot money for expenses. That can bite you in the butt. Free labor, ok (for a while), free expenses, no.

How does one break into the industry? Just showing up and putting out your "shingle". As you start getting work, keep your goals in mind and let that help you steer your work. After a while, you will start to get closer to your goal with smaller jobs or similar jobs. After a while more "in the trenches" you will probably find yourself where you want to be.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    CreativesifuCreativesifu Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited July 11, 2005
    I'll do it for free in exchange for...
    Ad space in the magazine. Preferably full page. That way you get something out of it, i.e. a chance for the people who read the magazine to buy your photos. Plus, if your services are worth $500, you are now going to get at least $500 worth of ad space.

Also if you are listed in that ad as the official photographer for that event or magazine, that will give you credibility.

Once they publish the ad and the pics, you get tear sheets to add to your portfolio.