Options

Need an advise for a ND filter and a backpack

FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
edited March 19, 2010 in Accessories
I tried looking for an answer, but nothing really jumps out at me..

I would like to get me a ND filter (or a set).. but unsure what company I should be looking at, and what should I be looking for when shopping for one.

also, seeing how the d300 doesn't fit in my bag too well when it has a grip attached, I need to get another camera bag. Would like it to be a backpack.
I intent to carry 17-50, 55-200, 70-300 (sometimes), 50mm and 35mm, two sb-600, gripped d300s, 15 or 17" laptop, and a tripod.
I realize its no small bag, which is fine with me. I used to run with close to 200lbs of stuff on me back in a day. But what I am concerned about is 1) being able to bring the bag as a carry on on a plane, 2) bag being comfortable given the weight, 3) being secure.. so I could walk in the city and not worry about someone openning it..

Any advise is very much appreciated.
thank you
Arseny - the too honest guy.
My Site
My Facebook

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited February 11, 2010
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2010
    Ziggy thank you so much.. i'm sorry i didn't see this thread.
    Backpack question is still open, though.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    jcimageworksjcimageworks Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited February 12, 2010
    Foques wrote:
    Ziggy thank you so much.. i'm sorry i didn't see this thread.
    Backpack question is still open, though.

Check out the Tenba shootout series. I have the large with wheels and my nephew has the medium without wheels. Both of us couldn't be happier. I havent used my large as a carry-on, but I've heard reports of it fitting in an overhead compartment with a little encouragement.

The medium would obviously fit easier.
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2010
    Will definitely look into that one. thank you!
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    astockwellastockwell Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:

I recommend Hi-Tech. Made by Formatt, high quality, much cheaper than the actual Formatt brand though. www.2filter.com is where to go.
  • Options
    astockwellastockwell Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2010
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2010
    that would definitely help
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2010
    +1 on www.2filter.com ...give them a call and they can answer any questions you have about selecting a filter. when i was picking out NDs, they were a GREAT help and even talked me out of more expensive ones that didn't fit my needs.
    Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2010
    fantastic! thanks a lot guys!

Now, how about them backpacks?:)
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2010
    on bags....check out LowePro .....they actually tell which of their bags are airline friendly.....when I got my Photo trekker it was ok as carry on.....but now it is too large......so nextime I fly it will be a pelican case with some sort of handgun inside for special dispensation by TSA....unless rules change again.......I will carry on 1 camera as I am prone to photoing out the windows when I can............

As for ND filters.......I do not like screw in filters....so cokin styled...like Lee Filters and others that way if my lens is too wide for a filter holder, I can hand hold.....which is what I have done when shooting weddings as I was changing filters fast and furious to get special effects........................

How to use Graduated Neutral Density Filters ......

Understanding Neutral Density filters ..... by Peter Cox on Luminous Landscape

Galen Rowel set by Singh RAY

Cokin ND Filters at B&H...........

Lee Filters ........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited February 15, 2010
    Art.
    bowdown.gif
    thank you.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    TallboyTallboy Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited February 16, 2010
    I have a LowePro CompuTrekkerAW - I carry the following in it:

D300s w/grip & 16-85mm attached.
    D40 w/ 70-300 attached.
    18-55mm
    50mm
    Sigma 10-20mm
    SB-400 & diffuser cover
    Two LowePro filter wallets w/ 6 filters each.

That's in the main compartment. In the pouches I have a host of spare batteries, Cokin filter system & 4 filters, remote cords, memory cards & cleaners. In the outer pocket I have cords & chargers, SB-600, cords and chargers for my laptop, stopwatch and misc crap.

It holds my 15 inch laptop as well. Pretty well full to the gills with that much stuff.

Not sure on TSA compliance.
  • Options
    InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2010
    Re: the bag. I own a Nature Trekker AW II. I don't like it. To be honest, I'm more of a shoulder bag sort of guy since I can actually change a lens without needing to put the bag down.

But here is why I don't like the Nature Trekker. It has a crap load of padding which is probably good if you intend to throw your bag off of a 30 story building, but even when empty, the pack is really really heavy. And with all that padding, you can't put that much more into the backpack than you can say, one of their shoulder bags. Too much padding. Really unneccessary I think. Another thing is without an internal frame, I think the belt, padded as it is, does little to support the weight. I never could get the pack to be truely comfortable no matter how much fiddling I did with it. Granted, I loaded it up enough to rip the straps when picking it up by one side. Think I must have had, 50+ pounds in it and the attached day pack. Finally, for whatever the reason, the more you put into the bag the futher your center of gravity moves away from your body, so I had to lean forward even further. There was a nice little day pack it came with, but attach that and the CG moves even further way from you. I ended up throwing in whatever I wanted for that day into the day pack and leaving the beastly main pack sitting at home. The tripod holder isn't that good and you can put a tripod on the day pack.

I found the Stealth reporter 650 carries a whole lot more than the Nature Trekker, and is similar sized outside, just the dimensions are different, more of a cube than the backpack. But it has less padding and can whole a lot more. The belt needs to be improved. Of course, its not a backpack. I weighed it in at 18kg recently, though I don't normally carry that much. It was doable for a bit though. The Nature trekker, loaded similarly, was not as comfortable.

I haven't tried any of the other backpacks, but so far, I just am not impressed with the Nature Trekker. Actually I hate it.ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2010
    I use a LowePro Rover AW II for short hikes and long city walks. It will hold more than you want to carry and has room for a few non-camera items. It will also carry a tripod with no problem.
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.
  • Options
    knapphknapph Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2010
    BackPacks
    When I am flying and want to carry a lot of gear, I use a backpack from Moose Peterson, the MP3. This has fit on every plane I have been on in the US. Internationally, it did not fit on a Russan made plane in Vietnam where the overhead would only hold a very thin briefcase. The MP3 does not look large and these days it is important that the bag look small to the airline people.

This is a good backpack for flying but it is not as good a pack for hiking around with. If you are working out of a car or only walking short distances, this works well. No place to hang a tripod. I pack my tripod in my checked luggage when flying and just carry it otherwise. Some time with a needle and thread and some velco and the MP3 could carry a small tripod. I like that there is a minimum of padding. I think most packs and bags are over padded.

http://www.wrptradingpost.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=WTP&Category_Code=PPacks

I have read good things about this one.

http://www.guragear.com/index.php

Here is a variety of packs here that might be of interest to you. Again, I have read reviews of these doing well both going on a plane and hiking later.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/categories/camera-backpacks.aspx

I also use a 3000 ci Lowe Alpine backpack with Eagle Creek hard side cubes, or sometimes just extra clothes, inside to pack my gear on some trips. This has room for several bodies, lenses, chargers etc, and a small computer. When I am out shooting with this there is room inside for a small travel tripod. Again, I check the tripod when flying. I use small luggage locks on the zippers of any pack I am carrying. While this would not keep someone from cutting open the pack, it will keep them from opening it when you have it on your back. I also keep a small cable lock with me so that I can lock the pack to something if I am somewhere I might fall asleep and someone could walk off with the pack.

I have looked at the PacSafe bags and while I like the security they have, I have not liked them for carrying camera gear - they just do not fit me well. This is a matter of personal taste, you might like them. I do use one of their mesh covers to secure gear when I'm in a hotel without a safe.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2010
    On my Czech trip and the LowePro Photo trekker I carried a 35mm SLR and lenses (2 zooms), a Kiev 88 and 66 with 5 lenses, 2 sunpak 622's, 2 Quantum qB1 batts.....and a bunch ofsmall stuff....the one airport I had to gate check it in the stewadess made me load it into the baggage compartment...because instead of handing it too her I sat it down and she could not double hand lift it.....it was 2 ounces from max weight at the time........

I still use it to transport equipment but for most outings I can do fine with a small day pak for clothes and food and my 2 75 AW bags on a military pistol belt with suspenders......I also carry water in a camelbak hydration pak as I do not like bottles....plus I can drink even with cam in hand:D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited February 19, 2010
    I am seriously considering the Kata 3n1-33

any feedback on this brand / bag?
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2010
    Check out the Tenba shootout series. I have the large with wheels and my nephew has the medium without wheels. Both of us couldn't be happier. I havent used my large as a carry-on, but I've heard reports of it fitting in an overhead compartment with a little encouragement.

The medium would obviously fit easier.

Great bag. I have the mini which stores a 7D, 50mm, 16-35mm, 24-105mm, 70-200mm, hoods for all, 430EX flash, 2 B+W CPL's, 2 B+W ND's, 2 Lee GND's, Canon RS-80N3 shutter release, Cokin Z Pro filter holder with 77mm & 82mm rings, 58mm to 77mm step up ring, 4 card CF case, spare battery, battery charger, 3 ziplock bags, 1 rainshield, 1 pen, 1 highlighter & notepad. Yes it holds everything listed above! Most importantly, the Tenba bag looks very inconspicuous and doesn't look like your carrying photographic gear!
    Travis M. Chance
    twin Mark IV's & a bunch of "L" glass
    sitefacebook
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2010
    i got that bag.
    Love every single aspect of it.
    My Site
    My Facebook