Options

DS 44 - last minute entry decisions

red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
edited February 21, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
Ok, so I took this photo a month ago (outside the challenge range) and, let's face it, it's pretty cool. I wanted to go back and re-take this picture, and improve it by getting a better angle with fewer branches. Unfortunately, the re-take didn't turn out very well (couldn't get a good angle in the snow, and the tripod wasn't very steady), but I was walking around the Cathedral and found some interesting shots.

Original:
765308690_369yT-M.jpg

Retake:
792669041_YYTcZ-M.jpg

Cathedral Options:
792668981_TfdG9-L.jpg

792669000_HnxfV-L.jpg

792669014_GBR2E-L.jpg

792668932_BEXaf-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2010
    Too bad on the retake. Of the Cathedral, I like #1 best and then #3. thumb.gif

Closer is better on the horse and rider. The willow might be better all by itself without the cathedral in the BG.
  • Options
    red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2010
    Thanks.
    I was leaning toward 1 as well, wasn't sure about 3. I took a lot of that willow, and that was the best one. It was annoying because there's pretty heavy foliage all around there, and it was hard to find a good subject with the cathedral in the background that didn't have branches intruding from every corner.

Someday I'll get photoshop and learn to clone. But until then, I'll stick with crops and playing with shadow, highlight, and color saturation levels.

Oh, and I just noticed a weird reverse halo on the first shot I was trying to reproduce... is that just me? any idea what caused the camera to do that?
    edited February 21, 2010
    #1 +1
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams