Options

CS4 Bridge full sized extractions

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
edited February 21, 2010 in Finishing School
Another CS4 Bridge question: how do you stop it from creating full sized extractions by default? Maybe I just haven´t had enough coffee this morning, but I don´t see it in the Bridge or ACR preferences. I´m just trying to cull a set of 300 pics and the Bridge is gobbling up machine resources creating extractions that I probably will never need.:scratch

Comments

• Options
    eur0edeur0ed Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited February 21, 2010
    To the best of my knowledge there isn't a way to modify the thumbnails bridge creates. It pulls the full sized images so that the view controls at the bottom always give instant results.

Just out of curiosity what are your system stats? The system that I do most of my editing on takes about half a second per 15mb DNG to create the thumbnail, and it isn't anything too special. Maybe there is something else that could be done to speed up the process for you.

(System stats for my PS computer as a benchmark)
    Amd Athlon 64 x2 4600+
    4gb ram
    4gb readyboost
    windows 7 64bit
    7500 RPM hard drives
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2010
    First go under the Window menu and make sure Path Bar is on. Now look at the Path Bar at the group of icons on the right side. The first two icons should look like checkerboards. Mouse over them and the tool tips tell you what they do. The one on the right has several choices. I think the one you want is "Prefer Embedded (Faster)". The one on the left is supposed to be a shortcut for that menu choice.

Disclaimer; I haven't played around with those icons much, myself, but I have been under the impression that they might solve your problem.
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2010
    eur0ed wrote:
    To the best of my knowledge there isn't a way to modify the thumbnails bridge creates. It pulls the full sized images so that the view controls at the bottom always give instant results.

Just out of curiosity what are your system stats? The system that I do most of my editing on takes about half a second per 15mb DNG to create the thumbnail, and it isn't anything too special. Maybe there is something else that could be done to speed up the process for you.

(System stats for my PS computer as a benchmark)
    Amd Athlon 64 x2 4600+
    4gb ram
    4gb readyboost
    windows 7 64bit
    7500 RPM hard drives
    I don´t think thumbs were the issue. That goes pretty fast. It was the full size extractions that took a long time.

Let´s see...Win7 Home Premium, 64 bit; Intel Pentium SU4100 1.3 GHz; 4 GB RAM 800 MHz FSB; Don´t know the HD speed, but I´m guessing 5400.

This is my first experience with CS4 Bridge. I normally run CS3 on an XP Pro Intel Core 2 Duo with 3GB, and Bridge takes much less time to get its stuff together. It´s usually just a couple of minutes for, say, 300 pics on CS3 but this took over 30 minutes. Once it completed, the performance was fine. Dunno. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2010
    colourbox wrote:
    First go under the Window menu and make sure Path Bar is on. Now look at the Path Bar at the group of icons on the right side. The first two icons should look like checkerboards. Mouse over them and the tool tips tell you what they do. The one on the right has several choices. I think the one you want is "Prefer Embedded (Faster)". The one on the left is supposed to be a shortcut for that menu choice.

Disclaimer; I haven't played around with those icons much, myself, but I have been under the impression that they might solve your problem.

clap.gif Yep, that´s what I needed. It was set to create 100% previews and high quality, which I don´t need or want when culling. Once I changed those, I cleared the cache and it took only seconds before it was ready to go again. Many thanks.