Options

wearing a flash battery pack

QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
edited February 21, 2010 in Weddings
okay 1st of all how many of you use one?

2ndly how do you wear it? on the belt and run the cord up through your shirt or what?

lastly do you feel like they get in the way or are neccessary?

I am considering getting one on for my SB900. Supposedly they:

1) keep your flash cooler (so the auto heat shutoof doesn't trigger) by spreading out the current over multiple batteries. I guess the battery heat is the major factor here and no the flash bulb it self.

2) improves the flash recycle times down to 1 sec from full discharges from about 3 sec

3) double to triple the # of flashes depending on how hard the flash is working
D700, D600
14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
85 and 50 1.4
45 PC and sb910 x2
http://www.danielkimphotography.com

Comments

• Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2010
    I use one every single shoot on my main light... Since I use OCF, I just have it attached to the light stand. It doesn't get in the way AT ALL. And it is very helpful with recycle times.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2010
    I have used battery packs for over 25+ years (quantum batteries)......I do not hook them on my belt.....but rather I use a camera strap and wear it cross body...like a messenger bag should be worn....it is out of the way on you back......the ones I use on OCF...like Heather stated....are simply attached to light stand.........
    I use them because I do not like having to change batties very often....if I can shoot most of a wedding and not change batteries that is great....I do always have spares in the bag.

If you're going with the SD8/9 then get 2 it is faster to simply unplug and replug rahter than dumping and re-loading batteries.............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited February 18, 2010
    I use one every single shoot on my main light... Since I use OCF, I just have it attached to the light stand. It doesn't get in the way AT ALL. And it is very helpful with recycle times.

?? do you have somoen following you around with a softbox or something? heh
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2010
    Art Scott wrote:
    I have used battery packs for over 25+ years (quantum batteries)......I do not hook them on my belt.....but rather I use a camera strap and wear it cross body...like a messenger bag should be worn....it is out of the way on you back......the ones I use on OCF...like Heather stated....are simply attached to light stand.........
    I use them because I do not like having to change batties very often....if I can shoot most of a wedding and not change batteries that is great....I do always have spares in the bag.

If you're going with the SD8/9 then get 2 it is faster to simply unplug and replug rahter than dumping and re-loading batteries.............

hmm..but don't you have to change out the batteries in the flash itself as well? or can they just die out and the power just comes from the pack?
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • Options
    The MackThe Mack Registered Users Posts: 602 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2010
    Where do you buy the flash packs from?
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2010
    Qarik wrote:
    ?? do you have somoen following you around with a softbox or something? heh

I do have a helper with a light stand and the fong cloud actually... but they hold my second light. My main, I bring around myself. It goes like this: walk and schlep the light stand... position the Light stand somewhere convenient, and shoot. My helper has been trained where to put it so it augments the light for me. Both flashes are fired by my camera. It works really well, and fairly easily. :D
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2010
    Qarik wrote:
    hmm..but don't you have to change out the batteries in the flash itself as well? or can they just die out and the power just comes from the pack?

Have not used and SD8/9 yet......hopefully it will arrive by end of next week....that is the one thing I do not like about the Nikon flashes...having to have batts in the flash as well as the battery pack......actually I am not sure if they have to be there......that does gripe me about the cam body haging to have a batt as well as one in the grip......MY Konica Minoltas did not
    have too:D................4 in flash body, 8 in battery pack.......at the price of good rechargables that is going to be very expensive and I may opt for a Quantum Turbo and send the battery packs back.........Quantums have always served me well.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2010
    I use a CP-e3 Canon unit, it houses 8 AA batteries + the flash draws in series on the 4 in flash. So the recharge is at 15 volts. So far as keeping the flash cooler, this unit actually does that. From my experience with high power units (quantum turbo) the voltage and refresh rate makes it very easy to fry a flash. A buddy of mine who shoots Nikon would go through 3/4 flash repairs/yr when using a qtm. Then he switched to the Al Jacobs box and hasn't fried one for a while. I blame this on user error, dude just shoots too fast with his flash on like 100% of the time. Why I like my CP-e3.

Fits in my backpocket, only as thick as a AA cell
    pretty fast recycle
    all day shooting with Powerex 2700s
    not enough voltage to harm the flash

who you won't like it....I don't think Nikon has something similar.

Just another word about Turbos...do yourself a favor and buy a timer for their charger, I kill the damn things all the time by over charging. I have since bought a timer, learned to replace the batteries myself and save a ton of money. I use Turbos for my 622's too big (for me) to carry around.
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2010
    I too use the Cp-3...wouldn't be without it. Have 2 cartridges loaded with recharged batteries. Go all day long usually with just one.....on my belt, typically on my left side for event shooting. If using a stand with brolly, then I hook it up the the 580 there w/PW's. Can't beat it.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    bmoreshooterbmoreshooter Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2010
    Blurmore wrote:
    I use a CP-e3 Canon unit, it houses 8 AA batteries + the flash draws in series on the 4 in flash. So the recharge is at 15 volts. So far as keeping the flash cooler, this unit actually does that. From my experience with high power units (quantum turbo) the voltage and refresh rate makes it very easy to fry a flash. A buddy of mine who shoots Nikon would go through 3/4 flash repairs/yr when using a qtm. Then he switched to the Al Jacobs box and hasn't fried one for a while. I blame this on user error, dude just shoots too fast with his flash on like 100% of the time. Why I like my CP-e3.

pretty fast recycle

Just another word about Turbos...do yourself a favor and buy a timer for their charger, I kill the damn things all the time by over charging. I have since bought a timer, learned to replace the batteries myself and save a ton of money. I use Turbos for my 622's too big (for me) to carry around.

Could you tell me more about overcharging Turbos? I did'nt know that was possible. I usually charge mine overnight and have never experienced a problem. I use three of them. I did replace the original batteries after many years of use, could it be an older battery issue?
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2010
    CP-3 Charger goes on the camera strap for me. I use optech straps and the charger has a slide kind of place to put it on the belt...works great.

For OCF - there are light stands that are quick set up and you can plop it down, shoot and move - no assistant needed.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2010
    Could you tell me more about overcharging Turbos? I did'nt know that was possible. I usually charge mine overnight and have never experienced a problem. I use three of them. I did replace the original batteries after many years of use, could it be an older battery issue?

Service photo says I'm one of only 3 people who seem to have this issue. If you are using your Turbos with speed lights you might have done it but never had it affect performance. Overcharging is possible, there is no trickle on turbos and the charger is not "smart". QTM defines it as charging longer than 72 hours I believe, but set mine now for 12 hrs on an outlet timer and forget it. I'm using the Turbo with a Sunpak 622, and the issue I've encountered after about 15-20 weddings so lets say 120 service hours is that when the flash "pulls" on the battery the HV light stops blinking and the battery needs to be reset. Eventually that trick stops working, and the battery is mostly worthless, maybe 40-50 full power pops then kaput. So when freshly charged the flash knocks the power down one light then comes up, then after a while it knocks down to 2 lights, then pulls and comes up, but when the battery is bad when it knocks down to 3 or all lights it pulls....but does not come up. I doubt a speedlight ever really "pulls" on a battery like the 622 does even at low power. So in my first 2 years of Turbo ownership I had it recelled twice, once under warranty once not. Then after one more recell, I learned to recell them myself. Currently I have about 40 service hours on fresh cells and all is well thanks to the outlet timer remembering what I can not, to unplug the thing after 12 hours.
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2010
    Thanks for responding to my questions. I have never charged my units more than 24 hours. Usually I plug them in at night and unplug them the next morning. I shoot only with Qflashes T5d. As to the original post I carry them on my belt 90% of the time. By the way my HV light never blink, it stays on all of the time. On all three packs.
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2010
    By the way my HV light never blink, it stays on all of the time. On all three packs.

You are better than me at remembering to unplug. Your light may not blink because you are using QTM flashes, dunno.
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2010
    Blurmore wrote:

pretty fast recycle

I have thought about Al Jacobs' Black Box and it does interest me......might have to get back intouch with Al about a box in the near future....have a hair fashion show in a couple weeks and want to give a SD8/9 a try to see how they do....as that will be considerable less weight to carry around.

My QB1's are what I use to push my 622's.....they get recelled about every 3 years......just because......(tax deduction)

• Options
    edited February 19, 2010
    Blurmore wrote:
    You are better than me at remembering to unplug. Your light may not blink because you are using QTM flashes, dunno.

I usually plug them in where I'll trip over them if I forget about them.
  • Options
    cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2010
    I use SD8's and love them. I just use the velcro on the case to hang them from my belt or the camera strap. If I think that I am going to kill the batteries, I just carry a second flash and SD8 and swap them both. Otherwise you have to change all 11 batteries which takes a minute or so.
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,837 moderator
    edited February 19, 2010
    I am using an 8-cell unit similar to the Canon CP-E4 and I attach it to the bottom of the camera. (The unit has a built-in 1/4" thumbscrew.) While it's a bit heavy it balances well and eliminates strain on the cord.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    MountainwomanMountainwoman Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited February 21, 2010
    I have a battery pack for my nikon sb800s and it works great. I carry it in a shootsac (www.shootsac.com). It works great for carrying the battery pack as well as an extra lens or two, extra batteries for flashes and camera, extra memory cards and a water bottle. It's made of neoprene so it sticks to your backside and doesnt bounce around. I love it.
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2010
    Checked out the shootsac...wow most ridiculously overpriced photography accessory I have ever seen. I have a main bag that has both of my bodies and lenses, and a Lowepro reporter that I carry my flashes and gadgets in. When I get on site I park the big bag and carry lenses in the Lowepro. I can use it with one hand AND it has a killer rain fly, I guess it isn't fashionable....but WTF I'm doing a job.