Options

Polarizer question

BBonesBBones Registered Users Posts: 580 Major grins
edited July 11, 2005 in Accessories
Ok, I have a Hoya filter for my 70-200 ISL 2.8 and when shooting cars I need it to keep the glare off the cars. I have noticed that some pictures I get rainbows on the headlights. Is this just a cheap filter or am I not twisting it correctly to avoid this. I usually rotate it so the hood and windshield are cleared up.

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,203 moderator
    edited July 8, 2005
    Comment and a question
    BBones wrote:
    Ok, I have a Hoya filter for my 70-200 ISL 2.8 and when shooting cars I need it to keep the glare off the cars. I have noticed that some pictures I get rainbows on the headlights. Is this just a cheap filter or am I not twisting it correctly to avoid this. I usually rotate it so the hood and windshield are cleared up.
    If its just the headlights that are scattering the light, I wouldn't be too concerned. Do other surfaces produce this effect? Are you also using a UV/Skylight filter below the circular polarizer?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2005
    The polarizer is only enhancing what's already there. The next time you see a rainbow, put on some polarized sunglasses. You'll see the colors become enhanced.
  • Options
    BBonesBBones Registered Users Posts: 580 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2005
    I am using a circular polarizer

David_S85 wrote:
    If its just the headlights that are scattering the light, I wouldn't be too concerned. Do other surfaces produce this effect? Are you also using a UV/Skylight filter below the circular polarizer?
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2005
    Just a Thought ....
    BBones wrote:
    I am using a circular polarizer
    Hey Mr Bones.......is it possible its a film on the headlights themselves ?
    I wear glasses and have magnatized sunnies that go over the top.

When I am driving my car and look out my side windows I see that rainbow effect, but it's the film on my windows that's causing it.....I take the sunnies off the rainbow effect disappears.
    Is it possible the headlights have some kind of film on them?
    Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin