Options

Copyright Question

JheyerckJheyerck Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
edited February 24, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
Okay, so I think i'm reading into this too much and confusing myself.

When you have a name for your photography business or potential photography business, do you need to copyright it? Now, I searched the copyright database for a certain name, nothing, but I Googled it and there were tons of people with the same name or similar, many domain names too. So here is my question how do you ensure that no one can steal your name? I mean would it be illegal to still used this name (I wouldn't) but hypothetically, because someone could do this to me down the line when I do have an original name right?
-Jessica♥, Learning

Comments

• Options
    takeflightphototakeflightphoto Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2010
    If you are in the USA, you typically can register (not copyright) a business name as a DBA (Doing Business As) or ABN (Assumed Business Name) with the Secretary of State of your particular state. Here is the link to the process in Idaho: http://www.sos.idaho.gov/corp/ABNform.htm That usually makes it your name, at least in your line of business, in your state. Google your state's website to see what the process is. Just because there is a Jessica's Photography in Nevada, doesn't mean that you can't be Jessica's Photography in Arkansas.

As to domain names, first come, first served, so you might have to come up with a variation. www.jessicasphotographyarkansas.com for example.
  • Options
    ole docole doc Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited February 24, 2010
    most states will search their database and issue you an alias (DBA) if no one else has it. A more complicated and expensive route is to register a Trade Mark at the US Patent Office. Again, they will determine that your request is unique. If this is successful you can force anyone anywhere in the US to stop using the same or similar name (provided you can afford the legal fees.)
    Nick