Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 2 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM41.0055.B08
SMC Version (system): 1.1f5

and I am thinking to upgrade.
I don't want to go to Mac Pros - but may be I should - as they are too expensive but I think I will move to the iMac 27-inch with 8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x2GB.
Shall I get the fastest processor the 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 or shall I keep the standart one ?

Which configuration do you sugest ?
I am even thinking to get the standart processor but with the 8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB.

The computer is mainly to work on photography.

Thank you for the tips :)
All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,910 moderator
    edited February 4, 2010
    I moved this to the Digital Darkroom Gear, where we discuss computers, monitors and such.

I'm still Windows based so I'll let the Apple folks answer your questions. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I moved this to the Digital Darkroom Gear, where we discuss computers, monitors and such.

I'm still Windows based so I'll let the Apple folks answer your questions. thumb.gif

bowdown.gif Ziggy ! :D
  • Options
    NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2010
    .... I think I will move to the iMac 27-inch with 8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x2GB.
    Shall I get the fastest processor the 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 or shall I keep the standart one ?

Which configuration do you sugest ?
    I am even thinking to get the standart processor but with the 8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB.

The computer is mainly to work on photography.

Thank you for the tips :)

re: iMac 27"

There are been some very serious issues with a "significant" number of shipped units. You need to read up on these and decide if maybe you should wait a while to buy one or perhaps take the risk of buying one sooner. It may be only certain configurations are having issues.

http://gizmodo.com/5464288/apple-paying-out-15-on-broken-27+inch-imacs

http://gizmodo.com/tag/faultyimacsaga

http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=1114&start=0

Yellow tint on screen aka "pee stain" issue.... still unresolved

Flickering screen.... likely fixed in latest firmware/driver release
    Black screen......... likely fixed in latest firmware/driver release
    Drive noise........... fixed with firmware/driver release several weeks ago

• Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2010
    15524779-Ti.gif

I have a read a lot of people with this issue and Apple's not-too-responsive attitude about it.

Perhaps an older iMac or MacPro would suit your needs (if you need to go to Mac).
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2010
    Newsy and Rogers thank you for this useful information, opinion and link. :D

Yes Newsy, I do want to stay on Mac. mwink.gif

I will have to wait some time or go to a good used Mac Pro.

But I don't think I will go into this option, I rather buy new. I had some terrible experiences with second hand material in other areas.

bowdown.gif to both of you.:D
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2010
    RogersDA wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif

I have a read a lot of people with this issue and Apple's not-too-responsive attitude about it.

Perhaps an older iMac or MacPro would suit your needs (if you need to go to Mac).

I'd say… wait until the issue is fixed. It's been acknowledged, and there have been some hardware fixes and a patch was issued yesterday… no hurt in waiting a few weeks and seeing whether the problem is resolved then. I think Steve even mentioned it briefly in the iPad keynote, right at the start?
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2010
    CatOne wrote:
    I'd say… wait until the issue is fixed. It's been acknowledged, and there have been some hardware fixes and a patch was issued yesterday… no hurt in waiting a few weeks and seeing whether the problem is resolved then. I think Steve even mentioned it briefly in the iPad keynote, right at the start?

bowdown.gif CatOne ! Nice of you to give me this suggestion. :D

But, I will not be aware when it occurs and reaches the Portuguese Mac market.

Again I dare to ask you for how long am I suposed to wait until I buy the new machine.

Two months may be...ne_nau.gif
    bowdown.gifbowdown.gif:D:D
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2010
    Hey Antonio - for a great vintage bottle of Port I will keep tabs on the status of the fix for ya!:D:D:D

You might want to read various Mac-related forums; e.g., MacRumors, Apple. You can get some good information on those sights. There are other forums, too.
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2010
    Antonio-

I recently bought the iMac 24", (about one week before the 27" came out ... just got tired of waiting for Apple to distribute the new iMac). Like yourself ... it is just principally for photography. It came with 4GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM running a 3.06GHz Core 2 Duo proessor.

While I wish I had the 27" monitor, my 24" is running CS4, Lightroom and Aperture seamlessly ... it is a great machine. I'm sure there are a few new 24 inchers still out there looking for a home.

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2010
    bowdown.gif CatOne ! Nice of you to give me this suggestion. :D

But, I will not be aware when it occurs and reaches the Portuguese Mac market.

Again I dare to ask you for how long am I suposed to wait until I buy the new machine.

Two months may be...ne_nau.gif
    bowdown.gifbowdown.gif:D:D

Apple's supply chain is pretty efficient so I don't know how much inventory there would be in the Portuguese market. I'd sorta doubt it would take 2 months... but then again I don't know.

headscratch.gif
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2010
    Newsy and Rogers thank you for this useful information, opinion and link. :D

But I don't think I will go into this option, I rather buy new. I had some terrible experiences with second hand material in other areas.

The apple refurb store has some great bargains and they have the same backup and guaratee as new stock. There is a 21" iMac in the Irish refurb store atm which has €250 off the retail price. I really wouldn't worry about buying a refurb imac from Apple.
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2010
    Seamus wrote:
    The apple refurb store has some great bargains and they have the same backup and guaratee as new stock. There is a 21" iMac in the Irish refurb store atm which has €250 off the retail price. I really wouldn't worry about buying a refurb imac from Apple.

I'd recommend double checking the panel specs… the 24" and 27" have IPS panels; I don't know about the smaller ones. The old 20" had an LCD that was definitely inferior to the 24" from a color perspective.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2010
    I bought the 27in imac recently with 8gig memory. I was running old macbook pro before with 4 gigs. The screen is just *gorgeous*. Using light room you alomist do not have to do a 1 to 1 zoom anymore. You can edit in near 1 to 1 in real time.

With my macbook the cloning, brushing in effects was the most taxing process. Sometimes it would take a few seconds for brush effect to render on screen. With the new imac, there is little to no lag in these effects. Quite a joy to work with.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2010
    David, Gary, CatOne and Shay: bowdown.gifbowdown.gif:D

You are too kind and it is precisely this behavior that makes this forum so great.
    We are all great and nice guys. mwink.gif
    RogersDA wrote:
    Hey Antonio - for a great vintage bottle of Port I will keep tabs on the status of the fix for ya!:D:D:D...
    I wish I could have a toast with you with Port. You know here, Setubal, there is also a similar whine called Moscatel which is also very appreciated.

But David, don't worry because I have been thinking and I do accept the suggestion of our Irish fellow Shay and go for a refurb from Mac. This is a reliable bought am I sure.
    As I can buy without any problem from countries inside the UE I can buy from Ireland or Great Britain.
    No, not Great Britain as the pound is 1.00 GBP = 1.14454 EUR Not a good business.

Gary. :D You bought the 24" and I am sure you are very happy with it. Mine is smaller. Anyway I would like to move to a much better machine. If I change I have to feel the jump. I want a real increment on speed.
    I am not going to change my cameras. So, the files will not be larger and I will be happy with better performances of a faster machine, but I want to move more on CS4 and here I need speed.

And Gary you are on Aperture. Good. I don't know the program but it is similar to LR, right ?
    Seamus wrote:
    The apple refurb store has some great bargains and they have the same backup and guarantees as new stock. There is a 21" iMac in the Irish refurb store atm which has €250 off the retail price. I really wouldn't worry about buying a refurb imac from Apple.

Great tip Shay. Great tip. clap.gif I had not think of it ... headscratch.gifbowdown.gif:D
    CatOne wrote:
    I'd recommend double checking the panel specs… the 24" and 27" have IPS panels; I don't know about the smaller ones. The old 20" had an LCD that was definitely inferior to the 24" from a color perspective.

bowdown.gif CatOne. :D
    -
    I wouldn't mind to buy a Mac Pro instead of an iMac... :D:D Oh well...
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2010
    Qarik wrote:
    I bought the 27in imac recently with 8gig memory. I was running old macbook pro before with 4 gigs. The screen is just *gorgeous*. Using light room you alomist do not have to do a 1 to 1 zoom anymore. You can edit in near 1 to 1 in real time. With my macbook the cloning, brushing in effects was the most taxing process. Sometimes it would take a few seconds for brush effect to render on screen. With the new imac, there is little to no lag in these effects. Quite a joy to work with.

bowdown.gif
    Very tempting ...mwink.gif
    :D
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    I walked the walk and bought a refurb 21" iMac for my parents. They are delighted with it clap.gif
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2010
    Seamus wrote:
    I walked the walk and bought a refurb 21" iMac for my parents. They are delighted with it clap.gif

As expected clap.gifclap.gif:D:Dbowdown.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    I run a late-2009 24" iMac and love it.

The only thing I need to do is upgrade the RAM to max it out. You'll save a LOT by buying the least amount of RAM as you can from Apple, then adding third party RAM.

A few things I have found over several years as a Mac user

- Apple is *HORRIBLE* when it comes to acknowledging problems in their products. They work on fixes but leave everyone in the dark guessing if they have a real problem or not.

- If there is a known problem with one of their products, absolutely wait until the fixed version is released.

- You can save a significant amount of money buying a refurbished Mac. Quite often they are open box items that barely got used. From what I know, Apple's quality control is quite good on their refurbs. Read more at http://www.macperformanceguide.com/Mac-Refurbished.html. They may not have what you want, so it can be a waiting game.

- To save a little money up front, do not buy Apple Care. You have up to 1 year to buy it, so wait until the month before the 1 year mark and your initial purchase will hurt a little less.
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2010
    Terrence wrote:
    I run a late-2009 24" iMac and love it ...

Thank you Terrence for the advice and opinion. :D

In Portugal - small country as it is - there are no refurbs but this is not a problem as I can get a model from one of the countries inside the European Community.

I decided not to buy a new Mac right away and wait some months until something comes up in the furbish market area.

bowdown.gif:D:Dthumb.gif

Excuse me Terrence but I was forgetting to thank you for the link ! :D
  • Options
    tijosephtijoseph Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2010
    I took receipt of my new imac i7 in the first week of january.

The stability as expected is awesome. I can edit 1080p footage with no problem or risk of freezing etc.

Oddly enough, I wish it was a little faster so I suppose maybe my expectations were unrealistic as it applies to the speed I thought it would have. As a result I would go with the i7. I do need to upgrade the ram however.

My computer does not have a single problem with it. The huey pro seems to calibrate the color very accurately on this awesome screen.

I have many apple products and would trust just about all of them.
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2010
    tijoseph wrote:
    I took receipt of my new imac i7 in the first week of january. The stability as expected is awesome. I can edit 1080p footage with no problem or risk of freezing etc. Oddly enough, I wish it was a little faster so I suppose maybe my expectations were unrealistic as it applies to the speed I thought it would have. As a result I would go with the i7. I do need to upgrade the ram however. My computer does not have a single problem with it. The huey pro seems to calibrate the color very accurately on this awesome screen. I have many apple products and would trust just about all of them.

:Dbowdown.gif:Dthumb.gif