Options

Right-Click Protection on Owner View

bukomediabukomedia Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited February 26, 2010 in Bug Reporting
Hello,

site: http://bukomedia.smugmug.com

problem: when logged in as owner, I go to a gallery that has Right-Click Protection On, which is suppose to be only for my clients, but I(the owner) is prevented from right-clicking on the images. The owner should be allowed to right-click and save on the images even if RCP is turned on.

gallery: Rachel's 30th (found on our main page)

system: Windows 7, Firefox 3.6 or Safari 4

Thank you,

Marvin
BukoMedia.com

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2010
    Hi Marvin - not a bug - it's designed this way. We'd be -flooded- with help emails from owners that would say 'Hey! My images aren't protected!'

I'm sorry we don't have it your way on this one, I really am.
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2010
    Which is why the photoBar has an option to download original (Owner Save). No need to right-click.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2010
    RogersDA wrote:
    Which is why the photoBar has an option to download original (Owner Save). No need to right-click.
    In addition to owner save, you can also configure the Share button to work only for the owner. In that way, you can get a direct link to any size image and then use that link to bypass right-click protection if you want.

To set up the Share button only for owner mode, then enable easy sharing and then add this CSS:

.notLoggedIn #shareButton {display:none;}

Then, you can get a non-protected link to any size of any image (when you are logged in).
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2010
    jfriend wrote:
    In addition to owner save, you can also configure the Share button to work only for the owner. In that way, you can get a direct link to any size image and then use that link to bypass right-click protection if you want.

To set up the Share button only for owner mode, then enable easy sharing and then add this CSS:

.notLoggedIn #shareButton {display:none;}

Then, you can get a non-protected link to any size of any image (when you are logged in).
    Yup - indeed. The reason I do not like (or use) this for my public galleries is that it still opens up originals to anyone who can type "-O" in place of, say, "-XL" when they see an image on a forum/blog/etc.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2010
    RogersDA wrote:
    Yup - indeed. The reason I do not like (or use) this for my public galleries is that it still opens up originals to anyone who can type "-O" in place of, say, "-XL" when they see an image on a forum/blog/etc.
    The Share button or URL typing is not how you protect large image sizes.

Use the max viewable image size in gallery settings. Set that to X2 and nobody can then get access to X3 or O sizes. That will prevent anyone from accessing your larger image sizes whether they know about manipulating URLs or not. This has nothing to do with using or not using the Share button.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    bukomediabukomedia Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 26, 2010
    Fair enough. Thanks all for your help and suggestions!