Options

Custom Large Settings?

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited July 12, 2005 in SmugMug Support
No, no, I'm not asking about weird dimensions. I'm only asking about letting (at least at a Pro level) the *smallest* side to fit into the Large's box.
This will allow for a more decent display of the panoramic (and vertical) images.

Currently any decent pano picture turns into a tiny band even in Large setting - unless you allow original, which in this case could be *really* big.

Here's my example from Dgrin Sky Shootout (L):

25386791-L.jpg

This is 7 img pano, all taken with my "small" 8mp 828, but it here it looks like taken with my other Sony - camera phone..:-(
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    MrBook2MrBook2 Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2005
    I'll second that.
    I agree with you Nikolai. I have a couple of panos, but I hate looking at them on smugmug. The look tiny. I suspect that attempting to code this will be a huge pain, but I hope they try. Even if you had to set an option on the picture indicating it was a "pano" it would be worth it.

--Aaron

http://mrbook2.smugmug.com
    Nikon D200, usually with 18-200VR or 50mm f/1.8D
    Ubuntu 9.04, Bibblepro, GIMP, Argyllcms
    Blog at http://losthighlights.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2005
    I guess
    MrBook2 wrote:
    I agree with you Nikolai. I have a couple of panos, but I hate looking at them on smugmug. The look tiny. I suspect that attempting to code this will be a huge pain, but I hope they try. Even if you had to set an option on the picture indicating it was a "pano" it would be worth it.

--Aaron
    ...with only you and me signing up for this request I highly doubt we'll see any changes in this department any time soon :cry
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2005
    I haven't put up any panos yet but if I add my request, we can say that the number of requests has just gone up 50% ! :D
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2005
    why not a gallery of just panos, where you create special versions of the photos, 800px wide, 1200px wide, whatever you want, and *allow* originals to be seen in this gallery only?
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2005
    Andy..
    andy wrote:
    why not a gallery of just panos, where you create special versions of the photos, 800px wide, 1200px wide, whatever you want, and *allow* originals to be seen in this gallery only?
    There are of course various workarounds.. But wouldn't you agree that it would be illogical to separate a pano shot from the gallery if it is a natural part of it?ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2005
    I've got a separate panorama gallery, but the problem is that people tend to no change their viewing preferences. Very few of the few visitors have a look at the original one and I guess they think the large one is the real thing.

So I'm with you Nik on this one, but I would like to have it as power user, too. mwink.gif
    Can't afford the pro account and it wouldn't make sense for me either at the moment.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2005
    put some more instructions in your pano gallery, telliing your visitors to click on "original" deal.gif

nik: how about a link from say your yosemite gallery to the pano gallery?

cheers
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2005
    andy wrote:
    put some more instructions in your pano gallery, telliing your visitors to click on "original" deal.gif
    Yeah, that's exactly what I did, but they don't seem to care about it thinking they've seen it all on the small picture or my panos just suck. ne_nau.gif

Here's the link to my pano gallery...any idea what to improve?
    Maybe the 'less than 1MB' scares them of. That's the reason why a customizable large would be nice...like a trade of between resized full resolution in my case (already resized to 800 px height) and the tiny 800 px long stripes.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero