Options

Color me baffled??????

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited February 26, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
Mods, if this isn't the right forum please feel free to move it.

While reading a thread about copyright infringement I stared to wonder if when snatching an image off the internet if the exif date with copyright, ownership info would go with the image.

When I open one of my images in Lightroom all the copyright, exif data, ect is shown.

However when I open the same image in Bridge the copyright notice and my name etc is not showing??

Have I done something wrong? Can anyone explain why this would occur?

I experimented with snatching an image from one of the wedding photographers here thinking they would surly have their copyright notice, and ownership info embedded in the exif data. But the one image I tried didn't have any of this info. NOTE: the image was looked at and deleted. :D

Then I was going to snatch one of my own from my Smugmug site but ran into the exif date quandary.

Also note: I was amazed at how darn easy it was to snatch a full res image. :dunno:dunno:cry:cry:cry

Sam

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    Sam, full res images on SmugMug (or any website) are at the discretion of the photographer. On SmugMug, anyone can block Originals - and pros can block all the way down to size Large.

Exif and metadata is presently not in display copies on SmugMug, originally this was done to keep the images loading fast. But now, with improvements in both our ability to deliver large images blazingly fast, and with user connections typically very very fast, that need is much much less. And the desire for metadata and exif in the display copies by photographers has risen. We've done the ground work, and will one day hopefully soon have this data in all of our display copies.
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    As to the metadata showing In Bridge from Lightroom. I presume you are shooting raw. You have to doa Cmd/Ctl-S to save the metadata to an xmp sidecar for each image for Bridge to see it.

For jpeg it gets saved to the file for Bridge to see.

If you edit exif metadata in BRidge you have to do a metadata read in Lightroom for it to see the BRidge applied stuff.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2010
    Andy,

Thanks for your explanation of why the data doesn't come through Smugmug.

I do know about the ability to limit the image size available.

I know this isn't news to any one out there but I just was amazed at how easy it was to snatch an image from the internet. I guess I thought it took a computer genus to run some magic code.

Don,

Thanks for your explanation, but I still don't get it. I have a jpg image in LR with all the data, but the same jpg viewed in Bridge doesn't show it?

Sam
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2010
    Sam wrote:

Don,

Thanks for your explanation, but I still don't get it. I have a jpg image in LR with all the data, but the same jpg viewed in Bridge doesn't show it?

Sam
    Because you probably did not save the metadata to the JPG. In Lightroom what you do only gets saved to the Database. Then you either have to re-render a jpg or export a raw to jpg to apply all the metadata to an image. IF all you want to do is see EXIF metadata, not develop changes, in Bridge you have to (as I stated) do a Ctrl/Cmd -s on the image to save metadata to it for a jpg or to a sidecar for raw.

Don
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2010
    Don,

Again thank you for your time and answer. Unfortunately I don't understand it. headscratch.gif

Basically I import RAW images into LR and convert them to dng format. I automatically write all the copyright info to the metadata during import. I process the image in the LR RAW develop module. Then I will in many cases open in PS for final processing, which can include saving a jpg version.
    This jpg does not contain the metadata written into the exif during importation to LR.

When and where do I do this command S?

Sam
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2010
    Sam wrote:
    Don,

Again thank you for your time and answer. Unfortunately I don't understand it. headscratch.gif

Basically I import RAW images into LR and convert them to dng format. I automatically write all the copyright info to the metadata during import. I process the image in the LR RAW develop module. Then I will in many cases open in PS for final processing, which can include saving a jpg version.
    This jpg does not contain the metadata written into the exif during importation to LR.

When and where do I do this command S?

Sam
    Sounds like, in this case, PS is stripping out the metadata when you create to jpg there.

The Command S would be done in Lightroom for raws and jpgs in LR so Bridge can see it.

Are you using JPG for Web in PS. That'l do it.

I would generate JPGs from dng in LR or from the reimported Tiffs used in PS back in Lightroom. The if you don't check 'Minimise Metadata' on Export you should be fine.

Don