I killed my dog

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited July 14, 2005 in The Big Picture

She seems OK, even ate. I am leaving the house.

I am still shook up. Took the dogs to the beach, the walk to the beach, the dogs have to be leashed. I had the Corgis leashes on them, couldn't find Katie's, so used one of those short lead things with a slip thing around her head.

I took some photos of the flowers on the way, told the dogs "OK", noticed that Katie was a limp rag. I couldn't believe it. I touched her, no movement, etc.

Bottom line, dead dog. Totally limp, sand all over unseeing eyes. Dead dog. No muscle tone, no nothing.

I put her back down and "pounded" on her back and said "breathe". After a bit I heard a Katie asthmatic sound, I thought. Still unseeing eyes, etc. totally limp. Shook her. Pounded on her back some more. This went on awhile, til I was getting more asthmatic sounds. Took her back to the car, a bit of muscle tone was coming back.

We are all back home now. She licks me on the face and all, so she must not have been without oxygen for too long, but she was a dead dog.

Bill said we could split the cost of another long leash for her. Damn, damn, damn. Oh, I squeezed her, too, in between pounding on her back. I know nothing about artificial anything. When I felt her heart in the car, I thought, I had not felt that before. She came back slowly. I would think she has no memory of anything. Tired now. She is........ Lying by me here, as usual.

She is alert now.

Damn. First time to the beach this summer, we never got there, I almost killed my dog. I am not sure when I can leave. I want to go buy her a leash and me some tops. I want to go somewhere today. Magnolia, beach is out, too late for dogs to run, but the dog park is possible this afternoon late.

That is selfish, I know, but we are all going stir crazy. I even, selfishly considered continuing to the beach. That would have been really crazy.

If someone is hung, choked to death, then comes back to life, can you leave them, if they appear to be OK? Mentally, physically, etc.

ginger

Katie is a Yorkshire Terrier, 9rs old, about 5 lbs.
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2005
    Oh my god ginger.. how awful... I can't imagine how you must have felt.. well maybe I can.. poor katie.. I would say she's ok now if she's alert and eating etc.
    Still, a terrible shock to you both!
    :uhoh
  • DaniDani Registered Users Posts: 807 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2005
    Ginger

I'd say take her to your vets office first, even though she appears ok!! Just to be on the safe side.

hope everything works out!
    Dani

20D | 300D-IR | EF-S 10-22 | EF-S 18-55 | 50 f/1.8 II | 70-200 f/4L | 17-40L | Lensbaby 2.0 | 250D | 550ex | Gitzo 1257 | RRS BH-40 | RRS L-plates

The Blog | The Photos
  • SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2005
    I know how you feel Ginger, what a terrible experience for both you and the dog. Those choker leashes are very dangerous, my dog jumped out of the back of the truck while it was parked and nearly hung himself. We learned our lesson and felt terrible. I am glad you dog survived, and I am sure she has already forgotten the incident.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited July 12, 2005
    Probably what happened is that blood flow to the brain was reduced or cut off enough
    to cause little Katie to pass out from a lack of oxygen.

One of the dangers of a slip collar is if it's improperly used, it may not release when
    tension on the leash goes away. This is a problem with those cheap polypro leashes
    that are leash/collar in one (mostly used by the kennel/vet when the dog has no
    collar on).

If you do use a leash with a slip collar, be sure the collar fits the dog--you can slip
    two or three fingers between it and the dog. Make a "P" with leg of the "P" on top of
    whatever side you walk the dog (most keep the dog on the left side so the leg would
    come out toward the right).

You should take the dog to the vet if you are not absolutely certain why she was
    unconcious. Even if she seems fine.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2005
    Ginger,

Sorry about your pup. I am sure she is ok now.. Keep us up to date. I have more leads than I know what to do with. I'll be happy to send ya one.
  • luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2005
    If my dog died, I'd die too. Anything that touches my dog, whether is be food, a leasg, her bed, I make sure of what she is getting. I am thanksful that everything turned out alright. Please do have a vet make sure however, folks here are correct, you never know if there could be a blood clot or anything.

Let us know!
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2005
    Thanks everyone. It feels good to know that someone, people, do care. I was afraid she was never going to breathe again, then when she started those noises, I was worried about how long she had been without oxygen. I was talking to her the whole time, yelling at her, actually. I kept repeating, "breathe", then when she started to breathe a bit, I would ask, like she would know?, how long she had been without oxygen. I was so happy when she was in the car and recognized me with a lick on the face. That told me that she might still have a brain. I was really quite terrified, one that she was dead, two that she had been without oxygen too long.

It was a supershort leash, it should have released, the problem is how short it was. Also, when I started to try to get her to breathe, I do remember taking the leash off, and it was kind of stuck, it did not really release. It is not a chain thing, it is more of a show type thing. Hard to describe. I personally never want to see that leash again in my life.

I am sure I picked it up and hung her. I was trying to photograph the flowers. The other dogs were pulling................ the main problem, other than the leash, is that Katie is so small that with everything going on, I would not feel resistance from her. If she tried to pull back, the other dogs were pulling fwd, it was not good. If she had had her regular leash, it is as long as the other dog's leashes, so she wouldn't have been hung, she would have just moved out. I was mad, because my husband loses that leash all the time, and I couldn't find it. I didn't care about the cost of the leash, I just cared that it should be there when I need it. He doesn't walk her or anything.

He has called a couple of times to see how she is. I am sure he feels bad as he knows that leash should have been there. Her leash, I mean.

I didn't take her to the vet for many reasons, most of them having to do with money. I have taken her in the past...........she does not do well with heavy exertion. And the vet over treats her. I have emergency medicine for the exertion problems. Prednisone. I have never had to use it, and I didn't use it this time, I wanted her totally conscious and aware, not drugged at all. Also the vet I use, not in emergencies is about 45 minutes away.

Once she came to, it was a matter of how long she had been without oxygen.
    It was either going to be alright, or it wasn't.......... I was so scared. There I was on a beach path, by myself, beating on my limp dog. (I have photos of the beach path..............god, as I told snappy, I would have burned in hell for this one, if she had died.) Actually, my father lost a dog to hanging. A small dog, he left her tied in his yacht, went to eat, she got over the side, he never got another dog. That dog was all he had left of his wife who had just died of breast cancer. The yacht sounds great, but he was going through a very bad time then, money had not saved his wife. Then he hangs her dog. It must be a more common thing than we realize.

After Katie ate a large breakfast, was wagging her tail, just acting normal, I went out and climbed the bridge again...............without water again: didn't know I was going to do it, and I didn't even get good photos, or not good enough.

All the dogs are lying here fine now. As I said, I will never use, see, that leash again. Poor Katie, I would have felt a heavier dog, but she is a "good" dog, not a complainer, and she is so light. She needs to be able to maneuver herself, not be on a two foot leash.

thanks, all, it is really nice to know Katie is cared about. She is so "extra" with the Corgis getting all the attention. Katie is really my dog and only my dog. And she loves to be included with the other dogs........ she gets less attention because of them being here, yet she has finally come into her own as a dog. She is alpha here. I just could not realize fully that she could be gone.

ginger
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Thanks everyone. It feels good to know that someone, people, do care. I was afraid she was never going to breathe again, then when she started those noises, I was worried about how long she had been without oxygen. I was talking to her the whole time, yelling at her, actually. I kept repeating, "breathe", then when she started to breathe a bit, I would ask, like she would know?, how long she had been without oxygen. I was so happy when she was in the car and recognized me with a lick on the face. That told me that she might still have a brain. I was really quite terrified, one that she was dead, two that she had been without oxygen too long.

It was a supershort leash, it should have released, the problem is how short it was. Also, when I started to try to get her to breathe, I do remember taking the leash off, and it was kind of stuck, it did not really release. It is not a chain thing, it is more of a show type thing. Hard to describe. I personally never want to see that leash again in my life.

I am sure I picked it up and hung her. I was trying to photograph the flowers. The other dogs were pulling................ the main problem, other than the leash, is that Katie is so small that with everything going on, I would not feel resistance from her. If she tried to pull back, the other dogs were pulling fwd, it was not good. If she had had her regular leash, it is as long as the other dog's leashes, so she wouldn't have been hung, she would have just moved out. I was mad, because my husband loses that leash all the time, and I couldn't find it. I didn't care about the cost of the leash, I just cared that it should be there when I need it. He doesn't walk her or anything.

He has called a couple of times to see how she is. I am sure he feels bad as he knows that leash should have been there. Her leash, I mean.

I didn't take her to the vet for many reasons, most of them having to do with money. I have taken her in the past...........she does not do well with heavy exertion. And the vet over treats her. I have emergency medicine for the exertion problems. Prednisone. I have never had to use it, and I didn't use it this time, I wanted her totally conscious and aware, not drugged at all. Also the vet I use, not in emergencies is about 45 minutes away.

Once she came to, it was a matter of how long she had been without oxygen.
    It was either going to be alright, or it wasn't.......... I was so scared. There I was on a beach path, by myself, beating on my limp dog. (I have photos of the beach path..............god, as I told snappy, I would have burned in hell for this one, if she had died.) Actually, my father lost a dog to hanging. A small dog, he left her tied in his yacht, went to eat, she got over the side, he never got another dog. That dog was all he had left of his wife who had just died of breast cancer. The yacht sounds great, but he was going through a very bad time then, money had not saved his wife. Then he hangs her dog. It must be a more common thing than we realize.

After Katie ate a large breakfast, was wagging her tail, just acting normal, I went out and climbed the bridge again...............without water again: didn't know I was going to do it, and I didn't even get good photos, or not good enough.

All the dogs are lying here fine now. As I said, I will never use, see, that leash again. Poor Katie, I would have felt a heavier dog, but she is a "good" dog, not a complainer, and she is so light. She needs to be able to maneuver herself, not be on a two foot leash.

thanks, all, it is really nice to know Katie is cared about. She is so "extra" with the Corgis getting all the attention. Katie is really my dog and only my dog. And she loves to be included with the other dogs........ she gets less attention because of them being here, yet she has finally come into her own as a dog. She is alpha here. I just could not realize fully that she could be gone.

ginger
    Send us a picture of Katie Ginger..clap.gif
  • photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    Send us a picture of Katie Ginger..clap.gif

Yes Ginger, send us a picture. I am glad to hear that it all worked out in the end. She must be a strong little doggie, and you brought her back to life.
    Kudos to you
  • aurafloraauraflora Registered Users Posts: 471 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2005
    Hi Ginger...

Wishing both of you a speedy recovery from this traumatic experience

Michal
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2005
    Ginger, sorry to hear of your horrifying experience. I am an ear, nose and throat doctor (for humans). Sounds like either a choking episode (compression of her trachea) or vascular insufficiency (compression of her arteries in her neck). A brief vascular event will probably not cause her any long term harm (like fainting). I am concerned about possible injury from choking. She could have a laryngeal fracture or a tracheal injury. If so, the swelling from this injury may not manifest for 24 hours. Keep a VERY CLOSE eye on your dog for the next 24 hours. If she appears to have any trouble breathing, you need to get to your vet right away.

Best of luck. My prayers are with you.
  • AnsonAnson Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2005
    Ginger
    Ginger,

Sounds like your out of the woods with that (cheap as opposed to costly)learning experience. Thank Heavens!

Unfortunately, incorrect collars used in unsuitable situations have killed many a dog!

Whilst we are on this subject, I would like to pass along a related headsup.
    This is a picture of the very popular retractable dog leash-you know the ones that you can click the button and the leash line can get to a length of 10 feet or so.
    retractableleash.jpg

DO NOT PURCHASE/USE THIS TYPE OF LEASH UNDER any CIRCUMSTANCE!

Both of the following accidents happened within a month of each other this past winter....

Our next door neighbor has a rescue Lab mix and she used to use one of these retractable leashes..until one day her dog decided to take of after another dog, her dog was at the end of the 10 foot leash creating a nasty momentum and before she realized what was happening, she was sent airborne to the ground...she ended up in a cast for a pelvis fracture and numerous asphalt burns to the arms and legs...she was in a cast for well over two months!
    I now see her walking her dog daily as usual, but with a normal length leash!

...a second very good friend, had a similar accident with a smallish 35 lb standard poodle and with the same retractable leash, she was thrown to the ground and shattered her fore arm...she has been very slow to heal..4 months later her wrist is still the color of purple and she is having serious tendon issues with her fingers..

In both cases the added length in leash (retractable leash) created to much space/momentum as their dogs ran of to give both ladies a nasty jolt as they headed for a very rough landing with nasty injuries

Have fun walking your dogs, just be aware of your surroundings (so that you do not get a nasty surprise such as these ladies experienced) and stay with a standard length leash/s

Leash and Collars
    http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_Collars.php
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2005
    Thanks everyone. I have felt bad that I can't afford the retractable leash.
    Watching pennies and dollars can have advantages, I guess.

Thanks Mitchell for the practical information. She already has either a collapsed trachea thing, or an elongated palate, common to this breed. (Be careful of what breeder you buy from, too. If not from the pound...... but if buying from a breeder, it usually costs no more to get a dog bred away from the faults.) Not that they can't happen, but Katie also has skin problems.

The Corgis came from excellent breeders who would at least help me if there were a genetic problem with them.

I will stay home with her tomorrow, or take her with me, Mitchell. I am not sure exactly what I am "looking for" since her breathing can sound atrocious now. (That atrocious sounding breathing was sure sweet this morning.)

Her first breath, it was what I call a Katie breath. Sounds like she is dying when she is not. That is what the prednisone is for. But since certain tests have not been done, the vet will not treat for a collapsed trachea without first knowing the condition of her heart. And this is a very liberal vet.

I think the treatment of choice for a collapsed trachea is Prednisone, which is a steroid. From what I have read on the Corgi list, I have thought that if I can manage Katie's "breathing" problems without prednisone I am better off. I begged and begged the vet to give me some for emergencies, he did, as I said, I have never had to use it.

It seems that Katie is not reactive to exercise per se. What exercise bothers her, she manages and stops. But there are places, like a more local dog "park", she really gets in trouble there. So we don't go to those places anymore.

She just loves being a dog and getting out. She really never was one until we got these Corgis about 3 years ago. She was a typical Yorkie, impossible to house train, or more difficult than I had tackled. Watching the Corgis, she trained herself. She loves being a dog. She is really an alpha type.

I will watch for more breathing problems than she already has. Thank you for that information.

ginger
  • luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2005
    I have the retractable leash, it replaced a harness which wore patches on her skin from her pulling. A standard leash is not that great since I have three dogs and it gets crowded at my feet. I set the retractable leash to a few feet more and lock it in.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2005
    Gosh Ginger
    ginger_55 wrote:
    She seems OK, even ate. I am leaving the house.

I am still shook up. Took the dogs to the beach, the walk to the beach, the dogs have to be leashed. I had the Corgis leashes on them, couldn't find Katie's, so used one of those short lead things with a slip thing around her head.

I took some photos of the flowers on the way, told the dogs "OK", noticed that Katie was a limp rag. I couldn't believe it. I touched her, no movement, etc.

Bottom line, dead dog. Totally limp, sand all over unseeing eyes. Dead dog. No muscle tone, no nothing.

I put her back down and "pounded" on her back and said "breathe". After a bit I heard a Katie asthmatic sound, I thought. Still unseeing eyes, etc. totally limp. Shook her. Pounded on her back some more. This went on awhile, til I was getting more asthmatic sounds. Took her back to the car, a bit of muscle tone was coming back.

We are all back home now. She licks me on the face and all, so she must not have been without oxygen for too long, but she was a dead dog.

Bill said we could split the cost of another long leash for her. Damn, damn, damn. Oh, I squeezed her, too, in between pounding on her back. I know nothing about artificial anything. When I felt her heart in the car, I thought, I had not felt that before. She came back slowly. I would think she has no memory of anything. Tired now. She is........ Lying by me here, as usual.

She is alert now.

Damn. First time to the beach this summer, we never got there, I almost killed my dog. I am not sure when I can leave. I want to go buy her a leash and me some tops. I want to go somewhere today. Magnolia, beach is out, too late for dogs to run, but the dog park is possible this afternoon late.

That is selfish, I know, but we are all going stir crazy. I even, selfishly considered continuing to the beach. That would have been really crazy.

If someone is hung, choked to death, then comes back to life, can you leave them, if they appear to be OK? Mentally, physically, etc.

ginger

Katie is a Yorkshire Terrier, 9rs old, about 5 lbs.
    Least you had the sense to attempt to revive her......golly if it was my pet I'd try too, well done.........sure would give you one heck of a fright I'm sure.
    What a shock that must have been, it's amazing what us humans will do when faced with an immediate drama isn't it.
    Good for you ......you tried and you succeeded congratulations.
    Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2005
    Wow, Ginger!

Glad it turned out ok!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2005
    Nir wrote:
    Wow, Ginger!

Glad it turned out ok!
    Yep..2nd that G. Hope all is well again.

gus
  • snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2005
    Ginger,
    Wow! What a story. You sure reacted quickly and well to that situation. I'm so glad your dog is OK. I have one of those retractable leashes for Red. He needs lots of room to roam. But he takes off like a shot sometimes. I am careful because I was pulled over on my face by a dog we had a long time ago. Just get a regular leash and a regular collar, not too tight. I'm happy for you and your dog. iloveyou.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • PossumCornerPossumCorner Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2005
    Near Miss
    Ginger I've really enjoyed all your dog images (as well as your flowers) so was devastated to read of your bad luck. My dogs are big part of our lives, so I know the feelings. I near lost a Basenji exactly the same way, lead was on her in the parked car and she leaped out a window. Was hanging unconscious when found but made full recovery and went on to be a Champion in the showring which was more than I deserved.

You have had some spot on advice from everyone so all I will add is that anyone who has a choker collar of any kind should throw it in the trash. They are no longer used by any progressive trainers: if a dog is a "puller", it is much better to train with a Halti or G/Leader than a choke chain or slip-collar. And well done for not using the pred: it can cause more harm than good esp. liver damage in older dogs. All of which isn't about photography. I am just going though changing from PC to Mac and re-learning what I thought I knew - I'll post some photos of my dogs (and flowers) as soon as I get my Mac act together.

Just so good that Katie the Yorky is okay.
    PC (Australia).
  • JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2005
    I am glad she is ok, That had to be a real ordeal to go through. Isn't it amazing how much a dog can become a part of you? I can tell you from personal experiance in martial arts training that blacking out from something (or someone's arm) around your neck, while leaving you with a nasty headache, will likly not have any lasting affects. Most times a person who blacks out from such preassure will have a headache and be in a bad mood for the rest of the day, As such if katie seemed happy shortly after coming back too, it may not have been as bad as you thought. It sounds to me like katie's preexisting problems may have made her more sensitive to pressure on her neck. Don't beat yourself up over it, you didn't mean to do it, or even know that it was happening. How about another shot of katie? Your dog pics brighten my day when I see them, I havn't had a dog in years becuase I can't be home enough to take care of one, and I miss them terribly.

James.