Options

any one here use C1 5.1?

insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
edited February 28, 2010 in Finishing School
I am finding a almost non existent user base. :scratch
I downloaded the demo recently and I am... falling in love with it. :lust
I am using it with D700 NEF files and I can really nail the WB better than any other raw software, including NX2. I seem to be able achieve more accurate colors much faster.
I get usable photos in a fraction of the time than LR3. :deal
Is it just a hidden gem?
Or is it just me?

Comments

• Options
    dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2010
    Actually that is just the point, an almost non-existent user base.

I used to use it. I switched to RawShooter Pro years ago and that was bought by Adobe, blended into LightRoom 1, got LR1 for free since I was a registered RawShooter Pro licensee, and have been with it since.

CaptureOne was the top of the line for years then, as most do, hit a plateau where it did not really improve much. RawShooter came out with its slick interface and a I got hooked on the Fill Light and Clarity which LR1 came with so I moved with it.

The problem for me is that C1 regular is basically ACR only PhaseOne's interpretation of it, C1 Pro is closer to LightRoom and the cost is comparable to LR. There is also the Adobe marketing machine, hundreds of books/videos out on Lightroom, and very little on C1. This basically means you are on your own (at least little support) in finding the 'hidden secrets/gems' of C1. C1 had it's own evangelist in Michael Tapes but he left to form his own company and honestly I have not followed the C1 saga much since, mostly because I am unwilling to invest the time to get back up to speed on C1 and LR does what I need. Someone who has spent more time following this journey would have more to say and better insight.

Despite this rambling post, I have nothing against C1. It is probably a fine product but I have too much invested down another path and am unwilling to dump it all to move back to C1. Plus it is sort of like the Canon vs Nikon debate, the line of who is in front seems to move around a lot and I don't seem to productivity of moving back and forth. If you do then all the power to you.

Just my opinion, nothing more.

Mike

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2010
    dmmattix wrote:
    Actually that is just the point, an almost non-existent user base.

I used to use it. I switched to RawShooter Pro years ago and that was bought by Adobe, blended into LightRoom 1, got LR1 for free since I was a registered RawShooter Pro licensee, and have been with it since.

CaptureOne was the top of the line for years then, as most do, hit a plateau where it did not really improve much. RawShooter came out with its slick interface and a I got hooked on the Fill Light and Clarity which LR1 came with so I moved with it.

The problem for me is that C1 regular is basically ACR only PhaseOne's interpretation of it, C1 Pro is closer to LightRoom and the cost is comparable to LR. There is also the Adobe marketing machine, hundreds of books/videos out on Lightroom, and very little on C1. This basically means you are on your own (at least little support) in finding the 'hidden secrets/gems' of C1. C1 had it's own evangelist in Michael Tapes but he left to form his own company and honestly I have not followed the C1 saga much since, mostly because I am unwilling to invest the time to get back up to speed on C1 and LR does what I need. Someone who has spent more time following this journey would have more to say and better insight.

Despite this rambling post, I have nothing against C1. It is probably a fine product but I have too much invested down another path and am unwilling to dump it all to move back to C1. Plus it is sort of like the Canon vs Nikon debate, the line of who is in front seems to move around a lot and I don't seem to productivity of moving back and forth. If you do then all the power to you.

Just my opinion, nothing more.

Mike

You're not rambling, I think you've cleared up several answers for me. thumb.gif
    Yes, Adobe and their marketing tactics are indeed aggressive.
    But I do want to let other Nikon shooters know that it does treat NEF's very well, much better than LR IMO.
  • Options
    dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2010
    Your post got me looking at the PhaseOne site. C1 finally has a Clarity control!! Their image process was always top notch but slow. Also many (me included) complained about the User Interface which was one of the things that moved me to RawShooter in the first place. Unfortunately, like Adobe with Photoshop, they felt they needed to keep the interface familiar (and somewhat clumsy) due not wanting to alienate longtime users that had mastered it.

As discussed in another thread here currently, if it works for you then you really should not worry about what everyone else is doing and just use it.

Good Luck,

Mike

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2010
    dmmattix wrote:
    Your post got me looking at the PhaseOne site. C1 finally has a Clarity control!! Their image process was always top notch but slow. Also many (me included) complained about the User Interface which was one of the things that moved me to RawShooter in the first place. Unfortunately, like Adobe with Photoshop, they felt they needed to keep the interface familiar (and somewhat clumsy) due not wanting to alienate longtime users that had mastered it.

As discussed in another thread here currently, if it works for you then you really should not worry about what everyone else is doing and just use it.

Good Luck,

Mike

They claim you can customize the user interface, I guess I am going to dip into that a little and see how well I can get it.
    If anyone is interested I can update this thread with screen shots too.