Options

SOLD: Nikon Nikkor AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8G Lens

printergirlprintergirl Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
edited March 1, 2010 in Nikon Land
***SOLD***

Selling my Nikkor AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8G lens, which was originally purchased new by me 09/28/2009, so it is a single owner lens. I originally owned a different one (same lens), which I sold to a fellow Smugger, but then I missed having a fast prime, so bought this one to replace it within a couple of months of selling the older one (and it was a higher price by then than what I paid for the first one, oh my)! :(

I got it because I was shooting with a D40 that needed an AF-S lens and I wanted a faster prime. This is a reasonable price so got it. Now I am moving to a D90 which will auto focus, so I can use different primes on it and don't anticipate using it much, so figure I would go ahead and sell it.

Actually, I didn't use it much at all anyway, but it is a nice lens to have in low light situations, and has come in handy a few times over the months to have in my bag.

Lens is in great condition. No scratches, bumps or bruises. Comes with original box, paperwork, lens, both end caps, storage bag, just as when purchased new.

Asking $200, which includes shipping and insurance. PP or check (check will have to clear first).

Lens_IMG_0631.jpg

Lens_IMG_0632.jpg

Lens_IMG_0633.jpg
~ Nora

WebsiteBlogFacebookTwitter

Comments

• Options
    GH41GH41 Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited February 28, 2010
    Is the lens signed by someone famous? GH
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2010
    GH41 wrote:
    Is the lens signed by someone famous? GH
    GH. I noticed from some of your other posts that you sure like to comment on people's asking prices for their equipment a lot! I thought that type of thing was frowned upon in this forum.

From the Flea Market Guidelines page:

20100228-p2w8c5t61r24k1q5988arayqsr.jpg

FYI: I have seen this lens listed on other retail sites for as high as $280, although I know other places may be selling at a lower price. I know that prices on lens can fluctuate at times, also, depending on availability of them in the open market. I know that I paid more than what I am asking for this one, at the time I bought it, however it sold for less that that when I had bought the first one I owned, many months earlier. Supply and demand at the time, I guess.

I would assume Smuggers research products before buying them and know what the pricing is for them, although, I would guess many photogs like to support each other (as I do) from within the SmugMug site, as well. I just happened to look at some comments you have left for other people selling equipment and it really isn't necessary. I don't think anyone on this board (at least the regulars) are trying to rip off others. They just have a certain price point where they will let an item go, and if it doesn't sell, they either rethink that price point and lower it to make a sale (if they absolutely need to), move it to a different venue (i.e. eBay or Amazon), or decide to keep the item and not sell it. I prefer to purchase from photogs on this site, over eBay, when possible, because I feel that the people here probably keep their equipment in better condition than the "average Joe" would.

The way I look at it, if it doesn't sell, it's still a good piece of glass for me, and I will continue to use it as needed. If I decide I absolutely just will never use it again, I can then rethink it and make a decision from there.
    ~ Nora

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 28, 2010
    $200 is a fair price for that lens...I am the Smugger that bought the other 35 from Nora. Sale went well and the lens was exactly as she described it.
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2010
    captain78 wrote:
    $200 is a fair price for that lens...I am the Smugger that bought the other 35 from Nora. Sale went well and the lens was exactly as she described it.
    Hey Jeff! How are you doing? Thanks. Did I ever tell you I replaced the lens a few months after I sold the other one to you? Found out it was really needed in those lower light situations after all...Laughing.gif! Nice to have on hand when you need it, for sure. I ended up paying more that second one, than what I paid for the first one, as the demand was high and supply was low, at the time. Oh well. It was worth it to have back in my camera bag. :)

But, I am moving up to a D90 (FINALLY). Don't need to stick with AF-S any longer (I really stink at manual focusing...Laughing.gif). Whoo hooo! clap.gif A 50 mm prime would be more suitable for the work I am doing right now.
    ~ Nora

• Options
    time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    Printergirl, sorry for adding this to a sales tread, but the 35mm is a great lens for the D90, are you sure you want to part with it. With the crop body it gives you 52mm, and the afs gives you fast quiet focus.
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2010
    time2smile wrote:
    Printergirl, sorry for adding this to a sales tread, but the 35mm is a great lens for the D90, are you sure you want to part with it. With the crop body it gives you 52mm, and the afs gives you fast quiet focus.

Laughing.gif. That's okay, you aren't the first to tell me that. ;) I had a couple of PMs as well on it.

I have actually entered into a trade plus cash (they are sending me the cash since the 35 AF-S costs more) for a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 D AF, that I was looking to purchase to replace it with anyway, with another Smugger. We each bought our respective lenses within a month of each other, so it works out perfectly.

While I really love this lens (I have owned it twice...Laughing.gif), my reason for wanting the 50mm (which should give me a 75mm reach with crop) is because I am doing a lot of portrait work. While the photos are very sharp with the 35, I have to get a little TOO close to my subjects for close up face shots with it. It made me, and I'm sure them, a bit uncomfortable in a few sessions being that close and in their face, and I ended up having to change to a zoom lens instead, when I really wanted to work with a prime.

Now for everything else the 35mm is great, but for portrait work, which I am really leaning towards doing a lot more of, I'm not so sure. While it does beautiful full and half body shots, I like to focus on the face more, so need something with some reach that will get me there, without putting me in their faces too much. I know I will still need to go closer than with a zoom, but I am hoping it won't be as close as with the 35mm.

Of course, since I have bought this same lens twice, I can see me buying another one in a few months...oh vey! :photo
    ~ Nora