Options

should i trade my D5000 for a D90?

babygodzillababygodzilla Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
edited March 2, 2010 in Cameras
Last year when I was shopping for my first DSLR, my friend suggested that I get the D5000. It was just about brand new and it doesn't cost that much.

The D5000 has been treating me very well so far, but now that I know a little bit more about cameras and want to be more creative, I wish I had spent the extra $200 and gotten the D90 instead. I'm itching for the built-in Commander that comes with it. Right now if I want to use off-camera flash, I have to bring my SB-900 and a borrowed SB-800, and it's just a lot of crap to bring around. I could use a sync cord, but that looks ugly not to mention limited by length of the cord. I could buy an SU-8, but that's another $500+ and yet another thing to lug around, although not as large as an SB-800.

If I had a body with built-in Commander then I could at least use one flash off-camera with ease. So now I'm in a dilemma. Should I trade in my D5000 for the older D90? I believe they use the same sensors, right? The D90 has a much better LCD resolution, but the D5000 has the swivel type, which I like a lot, and as far as I know only exists on the D5000.

What are the pros and cons here that you guys can see? I feel weird trading in for something older, although I shouldn't care about that but focus on the specs instead.

Another option is to go for the D300s, but that's $1000 more than my D5000 :cry

Would like to know your opinions. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited February 24, 2010
    What is your intended purpose for the camera?

What about the D5000 is holding you back or what about the D90 and D300 bodies is interesting to you?

Will you need to use manual focus lenses?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2010
    Thanks for your reply zig. The main thing holding me back is the lack of built-in Commander in the D5000. I currently have an SB-800 and SB-900 available to me and as it stands right now I have to have one of them on-camera as the commander. If I had a built-in Commander I could use both off-camera. As I have said above my options are:

1. Trade in for the older D90, but I'm reluctant to pay more for an older model.
    2. Trade in for the D300s, and spend another $1000 (more or less).
    3. Buy an SU-800, spend $500-600.
    4. Buy a sync cord for $30, but limited by cord length and it looks ugly.

Not sure what you're asking in relation to the manual focus lens.

Thanks
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2010
    Thanks for your reply zig. The main thing holding me back is the lack of built-in Commander in the D5000. I currently have an SB-800 and SB-900 available to me and as it stands right now I have to have one of them on-camera as the commander. If I had a built-in Commander I could use both off-camera. As I have said above my options are:

1. Trade in for the older D90, but I'm reluctant to pay more for an older model.
    2. Trade in for the D300s, and spend another $1000 (more or less).
    4. Buy a sync cord for $30, but limited by cord length and it looks ugly.

Not sure what you're asking in relation to the manual focus lens.

Thanks

Manual focus lenses will only meter on D300 and above bodies.

I would go for the 30 dollar cord, there will be a new model soon enough and for what you are asking you don't gain much for the upgrade now. Wait a bit and the upgrade will be a lot bigger than just the user interface, and a few features.
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2010
    The Nikon D90 is a considerable step up from the D5000 in many regards. I would not consider it "older" in terms of technology. Rather, the newest entry level cameras largely use the technology of the previous higher tier cameras.

I believe the D90 will take manual focus Nikon "F" mount lenses and also has the AF screw drive to accommodate AF-D lenses, although I do not believe the manual focus lenses will meter on the D90, but I think it will confirm focus. The D300/D300S also will meter manual focus Nikon lenses, extending the usable lens base.

I understand some of the appeal of the Nikon wireless flash technology built into the cameras, but the truth is I rarely use wireless flash automation, preferring manual flash control and radio transmitter/slaves instead.

If the D90 meets your needs, and it seems that it does for the wireless flash automation, then it makes sense to purchase what should work for you. If you need a faster responsiveness, like for sports/action/rapid motion wildlife, then the D300 cameras might be a better choice.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I understand some of the appeal of the Nikon wireless flash technology built into the cameras, but the truth is I rarely use wireless flash automation, preferring manual flash control and radio transmitter/slaves instead.

isn't that what the Nikon Creative Lighting System is? radio transmitter/slaves? it's just that Nikon flashes comes equipped with their own transmitter/receivers so that we don't have to buy a separate transmitter/receiver?

I don't have any manual focus lenses so I supposed this is not an issue for me.

besides the better LCD and the built-in commander, in what other areas are the D90 considered upgrades from the D5000?
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2010
    Manual focus lenses will only meter on D300 and above bodies.

I would go for the 30 dollar cord, there will be a new model soon enough and for what you are asking you don't gain much for the upgrade now. Wait a bit and the upgrade will be a lot bigger than just the user interface, and a few features.

Yeah I thought about this. Perhaps I'll hold off on buying anything for now. My D5000 is not even a year old. I can live with it for a while longer until a newer model comes out that hopefully is cheaper than the D300s. Hopefully. But we'll see, haven't dismissed the D90 yet just yet... Is there a page that gives an update on upcoming Nikon DSLRs? Can't find one on the Nikon page.
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:
    The Nikon D90 is a considerable step up from the D5000 in many regards. I would not consider it "older" in terms of technology. Rather, the newest entry level cameras largely use the technology of the previous higher tier cameras.

I believe the D90 will take manual focus Nikon "F" mount lenses and also has the AF screw drive to accommodate AF-D lenses, although I do not believe the manual focus lenses will meter on the D90, but I think it will confirm focus. The D300/D300S also will meter manual focus Nikon lenses, extending the usable lens base.

I haven't tried the D90 but neither the D70 or D80 would meter with manual Nikon lenses.
    Yeah I thought about this. Perhaps I'll hold off on buying anything for now. My D5000 is not even a year old. I can live with it for a while longer until a newer model comes out that hopefully is cheaper than the D300s. Hopefully. But we'll see, haven't dismissed the D90 yet just yet... Is there a page that gives an update on upcoming Nikon DSLRs? Can't find one on the Nikon page.

They have the same number of AF points but the D90 can work with lenses that don't have built in motors (but almost all do now) and the D90 has a bigger viewfinder, and front control dial. There are some other little things like the wireless flash control but overall I would not be going to a D90 from the D5000. The D300 offers you many new things like many more direct controls for camera functions, 51 point AF, much bigger viewfinder and better build quality among other things, but that is a big jump in price.
  • Options
    craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2010
    I haven't tried the D90 but neither the D70 or D80 would meter with manual Nikon lenses.

According to Ken Rockwell's Nikon lens compatibility page, the D90 will not meter with AI or AI-S lenses. You have to have a D200 or better.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    The commander on the upper tier of Nikons is Wireless but not RF.....it is IR....infrared..........I have the D300 and the commander mode with my SB 900's is great but when I am shooting totally serious stuff....I shoot full manual and meter all shots with a handheld incident flash/ambient light meter.....to make sure I have total full control over the shot...........
    Might want to get the DVDE set off amazon on the Nikon CLS system to get a great understanding of the system...............................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited February 25, 2010
    isn't that what the Nikon Creative Lighting System is? radio transmitter/slaves? it's just that Nikon flashes comes equipped with their own transmitter/receivers so that we don't have to buy a separate transmitter/receiver?

I don't have any manual focus lenses so I supposed this is not an issue for me.

Here is a nice primer on the Nikon CLS and Advanced Wireless Lighting control:

http://www.nikondigital.org/articles/cls_vanhoose/index.htm

The following shows the actual pulses used to communicate between flashes in the preflash sequence of the CLS dialog:

http://dptnt.com/2009/12/nikon-cls-advanced-wireless-lighting-part-v/

Yes, Nikon CLS/AWL is a visible light based system and relies primarily on line-of-sight and bounced-light.
    ... besides the better LCD and the built-in commander, in what other areas are the D90 considered upgrades from the D5000?

I'll bet you saw this comparison:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond5000/

The D5000 is fairly well featured compared to many of the specifications of the D90. The improved viewfinder of the D90 with better coverage, increased magnification and a pentaprism instead of a penta-mirror is a pretty good reason.

Responsiveness tests here:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D5000/D5000A6.HTM
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D90/D90A6.HTM

You should feel a boost in responsiveness in most categories from the D90. (I'm not sure why since they do seem to share many of the same components that should matter.)
    ziggy53
  • Options
    time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    I have a D90 and used cls with a single 600 flash. Get the rf602 from ebay, its, inexpensive, wireless flash and shutter trigger. it has a hotshoe and works without line of sight, but of course only manual flash setup.

You would need two transmitters if you want to shutter and flash at the same time. I thinnk the D5000 has a remote port, but please check first, either way you can still use it as a flash trigger.
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • Options
    jdorseydesignjdorseydesign Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    time2smile wrote:
    I have a D90 and used cls with a single 600 flash. Get the rf602 from ebay, its, inexpensive, wireless flash and shutter trigger. it has a hotshoe and works without line of sight, but of course only manual flash setup.

You would need two transmitters if you want to shutter and flash at the same time. I thinnk the D5000 has a remote port, but please check first, either way you can still use it as a flash trigger.

Do this.

And then go out and buy this:

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2008/05/now-available-strobist-lighting-dvds.html
    J Dorsey Design Photography • jdorseydesign.com • Facebook Fan/Friend • Twitter @bartdorsey
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Here is a nice primer on the Nikon CLS and Advanced Wireless Lighting control:

http://www.nikondigital.org/articles/cls_vanhoose/index.htm

The following shows the actual pulses used to communicate between flashes in the preflash sequence of the CLS dialog:

http://dptnt.com/2009/12/nikon-cls-advanced-wireless-lighting-part-v/

Yes, Nikon CLS/AWL is a visible light based system and relies primarily on line-of-sight and bounced-light.

I'll bet you saw this comparison:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond5000/

The D5000 is fairly well featured compared to many of the specifications of the D90. The improved viewfinder of the D90 with better coverage, increased magnification and a pentaprism instead of a penta-mirror is a pretty good reason.

Responsiveness tests here:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D5000/D5000A6.HTM
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D90/D90A6.HTM

You should feel a boost in responsiveness in most categories from the D90. (I'm not sure why since they do seem to share many of the same components that should matter.)

thanks very much for your explanations! :)
  • Options
    ARKreationsARKreations Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2010

Not sure where you got that info, but B&H has it for $249.
    If the prime motivation is just to get the flash off camera, this would be a flexible/economic choice. (That is, assuming you need to maintain iTTL support)
    Ross - ARKreations Photography
    http://www.arkreations.com
    Nikon D700 | D300 | D80 | SB-800(x2) | SB-600(x2)
    Nikkor Lenses: 14-24 f/2.8 | 24-70 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | 70-300 VR
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2010
    Not sure where you got that info, but B&H has it for $249.
    If the prime motivation is just to get the flash off camera, this would be a flexible/economic choice. (That is, assuming you need to maintain iTTL support)

oh sorry. perhaps i remembered the price wrong. but that's still a bit of money for me...

thanks
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    I have to bring my SB-900 and a borrowed SB-800, and it's just a lot of crap to bring around.

What are the pros and cons here that you guys can see? I feel weird trading in for something older, although I shouldn't care about that but focus on the specs instead.

Would like to know your opinions. Thanks!

It's a lot of crap...but get used to it, if you want to be lighting up location scenes, or doing any number of creative things out of doors.

I totally understand the itch of CLS. I have used it like it was a religion on my Nikon stuff since day one...and it is useful. Lots of folks don't really care for it though, but there are plenty more like me that do enjoy it.

The fact is, CLS works quite well.

As for now. Why not op for a SB600? they are in supply and can be had for a reasonable price compared to other choices you've mentioned. So for example, you get one for under $200 (typically$165), and now you have a great commander in your SB900 AND an off camera flash. Use those until you decide you HAVE TO HAVE another camera. You won't have sacrificed anything in the learning curve, and will have been using CLS, etc, all the while building toward a different body...and that'll give you the time too for truly judging whatever it is you are missing in the other available bodies~

Cheers,
    tom wise
  • Options
    rokklymrokklym Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited March 2, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:
    If you need a faster responsiveness, like for sports/action/rapid motion wildlife, then the D300 cameras might be a better choice.

Is the AF in a sports / action environment that much better with a D300 /300S (compared to a D90)?
    www.lonewolfstudios.us
    Olympus E3 w HLD4, E520, E510 11-22mm, 50-200mm,35mm macro, 14-42mm, 40-150, FL50R & FL36R
    http://rokklym.smugmug.com/
    We need sometimes to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life,to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment no matter what.
    - George Santayana, "The philosophy of travel"
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2010
    rokklym wrote:
    Is the AF in a sports / action environment that much better with a D300 /300S (compared to a D90)?

With outdoor sports and in good light both camera AF systems are probably pretty similar. The difference will become more apparent as the light goes down. There is some empirical evidence to indicate that the D3 series are best of all Nikons to AF quickly and accurately in low light.
    ziggy53