Options

Correcting an over exposed image

radhakradhak Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited March 1, 2010 in Finishing School
Just before a soccer match shoot last week i must have knocked the exposure dial off-kilter and did not realize it. Of course that was the moment I took a couple of group pictures, setting up high expectations!

I use the Nikon D40, and this was not in raw. Is there any way this can be fixed in PS CS2? I am just going to distribute electronically and not print, but this picture is not shareable! The data is ISO 200, F4.0, 1/200.

DSC_6466.JPG

To contrast, this other picture shows correct exposure (ISO 280, F5.6, 1/1000) :

DSC_6477.JPG

I tried duplicating the layers with Multiple blend, but the colors don't come thru at all.

Any help is appreciated; or maybe you can put me out my misery and tell me that this cannot be fixed and I gotta eat humble-pie with the team :cry!

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    eur0edeur0ed Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    Can't be done, there is no data left for all of the sky, the ground and a good portion of your subjects. It'll have to be reshot unfortunately.. this is one of the reasons we shoot raw! (even though this one may have even been too far gone for recovery there)

Sorry :cry
  • Options
    dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    ... and check the LCD on the back of the camera. I had something similar happen only the other way. Shooting in a studio the wireless lighting system quit firing one of the strobes. It was very apparent in the LCD viewer. One shot was perfectly exposed, the next significantly underexposed. In the same session while moving the model I grabbed the camera and moved the shutter from M to B, well that worked well :D. Of course it was fairly obvious when the shutter did not fire properly. Always review your shots in the LCD, even if right after the shoot before everyone leaves.

Mike

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
  • Options
    radhakradhak Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    Thanks guys! At least I know where I stand!

And yes - it seems incredibly stoooopid of me not to have checked the LCD even once, though that whole group stood there for me patiently while I triggered off 4 or 5 shots! One of these 'what was I thinking' moments that one never expects to experience rolleyes1.gif !

Thanks again.
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    radhak wrote:
    Thanks guys! At least I know where I stand!

And yes - it seems incredibly stoooopid of me not to have checked the LCD even once, though that whole group stood there for me patiently while I triggered off 4 or 5 shots! One of these 'what was I thinking' moments that one never expects to experience rolleyes1.gif !

Or as my mom would say “shoot raw” because the above image appearing that way as a default rendering in a good raw converter would probably look super nice with a few quick adjustments (see:http://www.digitalphotopro.com/technique/camera-technique/exposing-for-raw.html)
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/