Options

Canon flashes-need advise

SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
edited July 13, 2005 in Accessories
I am going to be shooting people receiving awards at a podium in a darkened room. I think I will need the flash unit for the Canon 20D as the internal flash seems inadequate. Will I regret buying the smaller 420 flash unit, instead of the more expensive 550?

Comments

• Options
    blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2005
    Sandy wrote:
    I am going to be shooting people receiving awards at a podium in a darkened room. I think I will need the flash unit for the Canon 20D as the internal flash seems inadequate. Will I regret buying the smaller 420 flash unit, instead of the more expensive 550?
    Is there a reason for going with Canon? Why not pick up a sigma? I have the Sigma super 500 ETTL-II and love it. Reviews on FM rank it up there with the 580EX and about $200 cheaper.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,912 moderator
    edited July 12, 2005
    Sandy wrote:

What jdspho says. Though depending on how far away the podium is, you might
    also want something to direct the light and spread it out a bit. Examples are
    3x5 cards rubber-banded to the flash, Stofen, Lumiquest Softbox, etc.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2005
    Thank you so much for the advise, I will look at the Sigma. I'm not sure of what the set up will be at the podium. I can't imagine how to attach the index cards to spread out the light. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2005
    Sandy wrote:
    Thank you so much for the advise, I will look at the Sigma. I'm not sure of what the set up will be at the podium. I can't imagine how to attach the index cards to spread out the light. ne_nau.gif

A few rubber bands around the head, bend the cards and you're set. Of
    course this would be backup to something more suited to the task.

Next time you see a press conference on the tube, check it out. You'll see
    them occassionally though more often than not, a stofen on the flash.

Ian
  • Options
    nillaismydognillaismydog Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited July 12, 2005
    help with flashes
    what type of flash do I need?

I'm getting ready to take wedding pictures in a few weeks (my first time ever!). The pictures will be outside around noon. Then the reception is indoors and I have no idea what the lighting will be like, but I assume not so great. Are there any suggestions for what type of flash I need. Should I use one outside? Is there a way I can use a flash to reduce shadows without making the photo overexposed? I know nothing about flashes and haven't ever bought one so I want to be prepared!

I'm using a digital rebel xt in case you need to know.
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2005
    Welcome aboard.

Take a look up in the top of the window for the "search" feature of the site.

A quick search for "flash" results in this.

You can use it to find other threads about the same topic, flash. In fact,
    there's another one going right now called "Canon flashes--need advise".

The two are similar so I'm going to go ahead and merge them.

Cheers,
    Ian
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2005
    Have you considered Metz Mecablitz? I have a CT-45 and have used it at my last wedding, I loved it :D I bought it used for €45 and it's a very capable flash unit. Be sure to use it with an x-synch cable though!!
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,835 moderator
    edited July 13, 2005
    Sandy wrote:
    Sandy,

Using an index card, or any reflector, involves tilting the external flash head up, straight up, and then strapping the card to the head towards the back, allowing the card to reflect some of the light forward. Most of the light is going to bounce off the ceiling, so the method works best with relatively low ceilings. If you need more light going directly towards the subject, you just bend the card forward.

I built some simple flames which allow 8 x 10" reflectors to reflect at 45 degrees from the upright flash head. Coupled with a "wide" setting on the head, I get good dispersion and I can put those flashes as slaves close to the subject(s).

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2005
    JDSPhotography, I just picked up the Sigma Flash as you suggested. Thanks again for the info. Sandy
  • Options
    blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2005
    Sandy wrote:
    JDSPhotography, I just picked up the Sigma Flash as you suggested. Thanks again for the info. Sandy
    Great, I've been nothing but pleased with mine on my 20D
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2005
    Ready for the shoot.

28301430-M